Trailers: Mass Effect 3 - Take Back Earth Trailer

mwnrnc

Nov 23, 2009
Does it bother anyone else that the Reaper's grand plan for galactic domination is "land on the planet, smash historic landmarks?" I had hoped the super-intelligent machine gods that had been culling all life for millions of years and were behind physics-bending tech would have a better plan. Also, it took the entire galactic fleet to take out 1 Reaper in ME1, how are you supposed to take on thousands with conventional weaponry? Is the whole game going to be the race to find the kill switch that destroys all the Reapers?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
FEichinger said:
Not that I doubt BioWare's writers on getting all these possible technology plot holes filled properly, but it doesn't convince me as of now ...
Well it's also worth keeping in mind that these CGI trailers are commonly produced by Blur Studios not internally by Bioware (they haven't added this specific one to their lists of work yet, but I'd be willing to gamble on them being responsible). I seem to remember Bioware mentioning somewhere before (either for Dragon Age or Mass Effect II) that these trailers are always going to be reminiscent of but not necessarily directly included, which means spectacle is 9 times out of 10 overruling oversight of canonical details.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
spectrenihlus said:
wintercoat said:
Ignuus66 said:
The mako's back
The Mako was an excellent piece of artillery, it just handled like shit. At least it could take a beating, unlike the Hammerhead which exploded if you looked at it funny.
It only handled like shit because the maps it was on where shit. You could have the most awesome car in the world but if the road is crap there will be nothing your car can do. When the map was well made the mako was awesome, seriously forget all the random planets that had no bearing on the story in ME1 and think back to the Ilos trench run, remember how fun that was.
Actually, during the trench run, I tapped "D" ever so slightly, took a sharp 90 degree turn, shot off of a bank, flipped over, and was subsequently blown up by the Geth. It actually went easier if I made a bee-line straight for the Conduit. It was one of the worse moments I've experienced. In all honesty, scaling nearly sheer cliffs on random worlds was more fun. Shooting off on the other side and doing mid-air acrobatics, then landing and tumbling like a cheese wheel was highly entertaining.

Dec 30, 2009
Damn... Well, talk about getting people psyched. This is the first time I've seen Shepard genuinely angry and in rage. In the previous two, while s/he displayed emotion, it was nothing like the cold fury on his/her face in this trailer. Kudos to Bioware for being able to show such emotion through the character models.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'm surprised at how impressive it is to see Shepard with an army at his back, but then, I lost all weekend playing the demo's multi-player, essentially being a man(or woman if I haven't unlocked a male yet) in that army. Bioware's out done themselves with this game.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
wintercoat said:
spectrenihlus said:
wintercoat said:
Ignuus66 said:
The mako's back
The Mako was an excellent piece of artillery, it just handled like shit. At least it could take a beating, unlike the Hammerhead which exploded if you looked at it funny.
It only handled like shit because the maps it was on where shit. You could have the most awesome car in the world but if the road is crap there will be nothing your car can do. When the map was well made the mako was awesome, seriously forget all the random planets that had no bearing on the story in ME1 and think back to the Ilos trench run, remember how fun that was.
Actually, during the trench run, I tapped "D" ever so slightly, took a sharp 90 degree turn, shot off of a bank, flipped over, and was subsequently blown up by the Geth. It actually went easier if I made a bee-line straight for the Conduit. It was one of the worse moments I've experienced. In all honesty, scaling nearly sheer cliffs on random worlds was more fun. Shooting off on the other side and doing mid-air acrobatics, then landing and tumbling like a cheese wheel was highly entertaining.
I guess the keyboard is just not the best tool for driving sims, I used a 360 controller and it worked fine.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Darkmantle said:
Eruanno said:
It's so cute that a game company that focuses so much on story and characters completely ignores to show either of those in their trailers. Everything after the little girl looks like it was ripped out of the Halo: Reach ads, and the little girl felt very irrelevant to anything.

Gah.

Screw it, I'm getting the Collectors Edition of Mass Effect 3 anyway, BioWare. I love you too much. That's why I complain. Out of love. So you'll learn to not do stupid shit. *AHEMCOUGH* DRAGON AGE 2 *AHEMCOUGH*
if the put the story in trailers, people would be bitching about the spoilers
Quite true. But advertising a BioWare game as a straight-up action-shooty-stab-feast doesn't seem to be right either?

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
Just realized that those trolls are Yahg husks. That's gonna be a bit of a problem. Especially if they're working in concert with them biotic-spewing Asari husks that I know I've seen.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
mwnrnc said:
Does it bother anyone else that the Reaper's grand plan for galactic domination is "land on the planet, smash historic landmarks?" I had hoped the super-intelligent machine gods that had been culling all life for millions of years and were behind physics-bending tech would have a better plan. Also, it took the entire galactic fleet to take out 1 Reaper in ME1, how are you supposed to take on thousands with conventional weaponry? Is the whole game going to be the race to find the kill switch that destroys all the Reapers?
Technically... A lot of those historic landmarks are in the middle of massive population centers. Knocking those out first seems reasonable enough. More people to harvest, more to indoctrinate and huskify. It's not like they're actually scared of the people they invade.

Remember, it wasn't even that big of a fleet at the battle of the citadel. It was just the local defense fleet (looked like they were all turian, except for the asari's big toy), and a human fleet that came to reinforce them. Couldn't have been more than 20 capital ships on the field, going by the cutscenes.

However, there do seem to be several hundred reapers, at least. So yeah... I hope it all boils down into one big clusterfuck of a space/planetary battle. The turians and humans have the two largest navies in the galaxy according to the lore... plus there's the salarians, asari, quarians, the krogans and hell, maybe even the geth, since most of them hate the reapers anyway. I think its gonna be crazy :D

I can't wait to see what tricks the reapers have tucked away. Husks from races extinct from millions of years, reaper variations we haven't seen. I mean, we've only seen one reaper in person, we don't really know what they can actually do.

Going by the demo and trailers there seems to be at least two classes of reaper. The 2km long Sovereign/Harbinger type reapers... and then the ones like we saw in the trailer on Tuchanka, and the one that blew up the shuttles at the end of the demo. They appear to be much smaller, more mobile, and only seem to have a single dorsal-mounted gun.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
rcs619 said:
mwnrnc said:
Technically... A lot of those historic landmarks are in the middle of massive population centers. Knocking those out first seems reasonable enough. More people to harvest, more to indoctrinate and huskify. It's not like they're actually scared of the people they invade.

Remember, it wasn't even that big of a fleet at the battle of the citadel. It was just the local defense fleet (looked like they were all turian, except for the asari's big toy), and a human fleet that came to reinforce them. Couldn't have been more than 20 capital ships on the field, going by the cutscenes.

However, there do seem to be several hundred reapers, at least. So yeah... I hope it all boils down into one big clusterfuck of a space/planetary battle. The turians and humans have the two largest navies in the galaxy according to the lore... plus there's the salarians, asari, quarians, the krogans and hell, maybe even the geth, since most of them hate the reapers anyway. I think its gonna be crazy :D

I can't wait to see what tricks the reapers have tucked away. Husks from races extinct from millions of years, reaper variations we haven't seen. I mean, we've only seen one reaper in person, we don't really know what they can actually do.

Going by the demo and trailers there seems to be at least two classes of reaper. The 2km long Sovereign/Harbinger type reapers... and then the ones like we saw in the trailer on Tuchanka, and the one that blew up the shuttles at the end of the demo. They appear to be much smaller, more mobile, and only seem to have a single dorsal-mounted gun.
After the demo, I'm doubting The Humans have any sizable fleet any more. The Elcor may have a bigger fleet now.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Alright Bioware! I already said I will buy this game for old times sake despite origin and EA's bullshit, you don't need to make me want it even more!

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Ukomba said:
After the demo, I'm doubting The Humans have any sizable fleet any more. The Elcor may have a bigger fleet now.
lol, true. The whole "Let's scramble to defend Earth" plan probably could have gone better. I dunno though, as much as we love to shoot things, I imagine there's plenty of other ships left. They couldn't have gotten the entire navy there on such short notice. Granted, they may not have any more dreadnaught-class ships, but really what good have those things ever done? From the Destiny Ascension to the dread that gets blasted out of the sky in the demo, dreads seem pretty useless against reapers. Just big targets.

Here's hoping the Alliance did the human thing, and tucked away some sort of big, super-capital doom ship in case of emergencies. We know a reaper can be killed if you chunk a big enough piece of metal at it at high enough speeds. Humans just haven't made big enough guns yet apparently.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
rcs619 said:
Ukomba said:
lol, true. The whole "Let's scramble to defend Earth" plan probably could have gone better. I dunno though, as much as we love to shoot things, I imagine there's plenty of other ships left. They couldn't have gotten the entire navy there on such short notice. Granted, they may not have any more dreadnaught-class ships, but really what good have those things ever done? From the Destiny Ascension to the dread that gets blasted out of the sky in the demo, dreads seem pretty useless against reapers. Just big targets.
I always found that funny. Did the Destiny Ascension do anything in battle at the Citadel? I remember Ashley saying that its main gun could tear through any ship in the Alliance fleet. I don't remember seeing the thing fire once. It was basically a giant space pinata filled with a bunch of blue space lady candies.

OT: Glad to see they gave Ashley some actual armor. The Miranda style catsuit thing was a bit too stupid for my taste.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Khravv said:
Is it weird if I didn't find that little girl to be uncanny at all?
She has replased this forum user with a nuncanny robot clone replacment!
KILL HIM

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Tank207 said:
I always found that funny. Did the Destiny Ascension do anything in battle at the Citadel? I remember Ashley saying that its main gun could tear through any ship in the Alliance fleet. I don't remember seeing the thing fire once. It was basically a giant space pinata filled with a bunch of blue space lady candies.

OT: Glad to see they gave Ashley some actual armor. The Miranda style catsuit thing was a bit too stupid for my taste.
I don't even believe it got to fire its main gun.

If I understand Mass Effect lore right, dreadnaught-class ships are basically built around a single massive mass-driver and are really only meant for extreme range strikes and sieges. Maybe the geth shot up its engines, or maybe it just couldn't turn fast enough to track Sovereign as it was moving along.

I think I saw it shoot off a few missiles though, but that's about it.

I'm glad the armor has gotten to where its cool looking. A lot of the armor from ME1 was pretty silly looking. ME2 and 3 have greatly improved on the look of the various species' armor and tech.

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
Khravv said:
Is it weird if I didn't find that little girl to be uncanny at all?
She has replased this forum user with a nuncanny robot clone replacment!
KILL HIM
No, its not weird. All should love that little girl.

Resistance is futile.