Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Inquisitor Character Trailer

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
I played in the beta, and i can safely say (since the 'dont say nothin about the game' clause was lifted for some reason) you guys are going to miss out. A few things (when i played sith warrior, not sure about other classes but i assume they're similar):

One: Combat is actually dynamic and exciting in TOR. Even in PvE you don't just right click, then grab cheetos while your guy pwns. Each and every lightsaber swing is an ability unto itself, with real power behind it. One thing i disliked about WoW was that the player had little input - sure, every now and again you used an ability, but the rest of the time you just clicked and waited while your character swung his/her weapon around.

Two: I played the game on medium settings, and while i will admit that in retrospect some of the alien models (hutts in particular) could do with a touch-up, the art style didn't detract at ALL from the experience. (Though i will admit that alt-tabbing caused the textures to pop out and take a little to pop back in - i assumed that was cuz it was a beta)

Three: I managed to get into the beta twice. A day and a half was just barely enough time for me to get my starship (i spent the other day and a half trying to get an unrelated virus out of my comp - don't ask) If i hadn't been rushing, I probably would've gotten there faster. And the starship - THAT is when the story got interesting.

Four: You've noticed they're pushing that this MMO is fully voiced, right? There's a reason for that. A, it's true, and B, it works. Seriously. You CANNOT underestimate the difference between learning your quest via text that writes itself, and learning your quest by having a conversation with the quest giver themselves.

Five: Lightsabers are still cool, but for a completely different reason in this game: they're cool because you have to work for your first one - it's not like they drop off of every enemy you fight - they're actually pretty rare (especially given there was a higher concentration of bounty hunters and agents than i expected). It gave me the feeling that this was MY lightsaber - MY weapon. To the degree that i actually went Juggernaut for the singular reason that they only wield one. And the fact that lightsabers are common among other players didn't detract from that (perhaps it will with higher pops - we'll see) because very, very few of the NPCs i actually fought had lightsabers (i think there were maybe four or five, and i managed to visit five or six planets in that time) and none of them gave me lightsabers when they dropped.

However, i will admit that some of the armor just looks... UGH! Is that mask made of flesh?

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Delsana said:
The assassin channels it into the saber too, but it COMES FROM THE FINGERTIPS, the blade just acts as a conduit. Funny how no one mentions THAT.
Into the saber, yes, but not out of it. Starkiller and Mesmer both did that, as I said, and Inquisitor does not. Giving the skills names does nothing to dispute that. (Really? you need 6 different skills for shooting stuff with lightning and more than two for charging your weapon with it? talk about repetitive...)

Although, upon closer inspection, I see Whirlwind's lightning comes out of the ground. No sparks or anything from Mr. Assassin, just that "dark energy" they're using to represent force power. No lightning from fingertips there... but that's just picking nits, isn't it?

Look, Star Wars is a cool franchise, and TOR is not a bad game. The whole point was to draw parallels and show some things other people thought of that Lucasarts should have. After all, they did once.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
2xDouble said:
Delsana said:
The assassin channels it into the saber too, but it COMES FROM THE FINGERTIPS, the blade just acts as a conduit. Funny how no one mentions THAT.
Into the saber, yes, but not out of it. Starkiller and Mesmer both did that, as I said, and Inquisitor does not. Giving the skills names does nothing to dispute that. (Really? you need 6 different skills for shooting stuff with lightning and more than two for charging your weapon with it? talk about repetitive...)

Although, upon closer inspection, I see Whirlwind's lightning comes out of the ground. No sparks or anything from Mr. Assassin, just that "dark energy" they're using to represent force power. No lightning from fingertips there... but that's just picking nits, isn't it?

Look, Star Wars is a cool franchise, and TOR is not a bad game. The whole point was to draw parallels and show some things other people thought of that Lucasarts should have. After all, they did once.
When I was testing I never saw it just pop out of the ground. Also, I know the assassin had conduit skills that came out of the saber if he charged it from hsi fingers.

How is more skills repetitive rather than less skills? The less skills I have to use the more repetitive and lack of replay I feel.

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
Delsana said:
2xDouble said:
Delsana said:

When I was testing I never saw it just pop out of the ground. Also, I know the assassin had conduit skills that came out of the saber if he charged it from hsi fingers.

How is more skills repetitive rather than less skills? The less skills I have to use the more repetitive and lack of replay I feel.
I think he's under the impression that 'shoot lightning' only happens and works one way =/

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
At this point if you weren't sold on getting this game or not, watching a progression video about one class is not going to change your mind. You're the person that's going to wait and see what everyone else says, or wait until you get a few weeks to play for free before diving in, if you ever do.

I had a friend in beta who had a blast with the Inquisitor class... it doesn't have the same brutality as the Warrior class does, but again... Lightning. One's primarily ranged fighting, the other melee... just like with Jedi Guardian and Sentinel classes.

These aren't exactly the best created videos in the world, but I think half the issue is the frequency of them. Bioware's pretty much done one for every class, and the demographic's been flooded with them now. I'll be playing in the head start time beginning in a few days, and even I'm sick of the videos.

2xDouble said:
Really? Starkiller seemed perfectly fine channeling it into and out of lightsaber strikes in both of his games... and they're apparently canon. Funny how nobody else does that... Not very efficient use of energy, if you ask me. Too little focus means not enough transference.

heh.
Actually, Starkiller is rather debatable as canon for a lot of people. In most cases when it comes to the force, Starkiller is considered the exception rather than the rule. No one in the entire canon of Star Wars comes even close to what he can do with the force... things like force pulling a star destroyer planetside are not common occurences.

Putting shit like that in TOR would be retarded... thousands of Starkillers vying for the top spot, it'd be silly to the point of unplayable.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
All these trailers, all this gameplay footage, all the hype and yet its still not interesting me.

The lightning looks too overpowered too, kind of like the MMO's answer to the noobtube.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
One thing I've learned from this site, and gaming sites in general, is that if a game isn't the second coming of Christ while giving out ice cream and handjobs, its not worth anyone's time. Everyone's got this idea that this game is supposed to be some revolution in MMos. It really isn't. Having said that, I had fun in the beta, so they'll be getting my money. At least for a little while.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Hmm, it's not a great trailer. I say that because, although I'm not a fan of TOR for several reasons, I'd still say that it looks better than that when played. There are problems with the visuals - like the inexplicable absence of any day/night cycle and awful weather effects - but generally the graphics are clean and neat, if unremarkable.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
HalfTangible said:
I think he's under the impression that 'shoot lightning' only happens and works one way =/
No, I'm under the impression that "shoot lightning" is the only thing you need. When and at what you "shoot lightning" determines what it does, how it moves, etc.; not the way you shoot it.

Quiotu said:
Actually, Starkiller is rather debatable as canon for a lot of people. In most cases when it comes to the force, Starkiller is considered the exception rather than the rule. No one in the entire canon of Star Wars comes even close to what he can do with the force... things like force pulling a star destroyer planetside are not common occurences.

Putting shit like that in TOR would be retarded... thousands of Starkillers vying for the top spot, it'd be silly to the point of unplayable.
Naturally, making something that ridiculously overpowered in an MMO would be silly, but there's no reason his creativity couldn't have carried over. Surely a master of the Force can think of different ways to use Lightning.

Drawing a few other examples of creative use for powers like these, besides Starkiller: Cole McGrath, Sora, Trish (MvC3), Shaman (World of Warcraft), Megaman (specifically Megaman 8), Magneto (and any number of other comic book characters), Lopez (Red vs Blue), Yoda (Attack of the Clones), Palpatine (Revenge of the Sith).

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
2xDouble said:
HalfTangible said:
No, I'm under the impression that "shoot lightning" is the only thing you need. When and at what you "shoot lightning" determines what it does, how it moves, etc.; not the way you shoot it.
Poorly worded on my part... i mean, you seem to think that the different force lightning moves are all essentially the same thing - shoot lightning, causes damage, repeat.

Drawing from the rest of your response geared towards Quiotu, you seem to think that lightning is just going to be lightning.

The key here is that it's FORCE lightning - it's not actually electricity, it's force energy condensed into a damaging form which acts like lightning. This means that the 'lightning' could be used for any number of things, from torture to restraint to lord-knows-what.

The lightning IS used in different ways. We just haven't been shown any of them, because there aren't any skill videos: just armor progression here.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Do want. I want it alot.

I dont see why everyone is nitpicking this game. The idea that graphics need to be near Crysis level for them to be good is crap. And honestly, ive seen quite a few Guild Wars 2 videos, and im not impressed :/

I hate MMO's. With a passion. A burning passion. But TOR is changing the formula. Adding real RPG to the game. Not "find Mankrik's wife" crap, but real wholesome RPG to the game. Story is the biggest part of this. Whats the story to most other MMO's? Your a random dude who has to kill things and collect crap. But TOR has a real story to it, and your decisions effect it.

Even Raids are completely different based on your choices. Enemies, areas and bosses all change at the drop of a hat based on what you say or do.

Now im not a Star Wars fan, but that looks way more intresting to me then anything ive seen from Guild Wars, or the new WoW expansion. And im not a fan of MMO's either. But this game has enthralled me unlike any other MMO ive seen.

I personally, cant wait for it.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
HalfTangible said:
2xDouble said:
HalfTangible said:
Poorly worded on my part... i mean, you seem to think that the different force lightning moves are all essentially the same thing - shoot lightning, causes damage, repeat.

Drawing from the rest of your response geared towards Quiotu, you seem to think that lightning is just going to be lightning.

The key here is that it's FORCE lightning - it's not actually electricity, it's force energy condensed into a damaging form which acts like lightning. This means that the 'lightning' could be used for any number of things, from torture to restraint to lord-knows-what.

The lightning IS used in different ways. We just haven't been shown any of them, because there aren't any skill videos: just armor progression here.
Exactly. That's what it's supposed to be. I used lightning to restrain captives, to interrogate prisoners, or to flat-out murder people... in scenes. But in combat, that's all it was: shoot lightning, do damage, repeat.

Even in this regard I felt let down. Where's the ability to shoot lightning at the ground to cause explosions or something? Where's the ability to shoot at the ceiling and knock stuff down or drop a bolt from the sky? Where's the midair bolt to the ground (which would have been much cooler than copying the Warrior's and Jedi's stomps while keeping the same results)? Where's the ability to shoot so forcefully you lift up your victim as you microwave them (no, whirlwind doesn't count)? Where's the ability to charge up an object, enemy, or ally so they discharge lightning periodically at other enemies? (Why not? you can already create Force Lightning shields around yourself that do that.) Where's the ability to put a static charge on something that builds over time and discharges for AoE damage? Where's the focused bolt or heavy impact blasts to knock people around? Where the hell is Saber Throw (and why can't I charge that with lightning to make it distinct from the Warrior's)?

I looked through the skill lists in the game, didn't see anything like these... not on the Inquisitor anyway.

I'll give you Lightning Storm though... I think that was its name... channeling lightning into the ground to strike up from below is fairly creative. But that's one skill out of so many possibilities.
animehermit said:
Your grasping at straws here, Shamans in wow, have at the most, 4 abilities that use lightning and all of them are actually in SWTOR(well I don't think lightning shield is, but they have a bubble that has lightning around it). The rest of the shaman abilities are either nature or fire based.
You're right, Shaman is a pretty bad example. I just wanted to use another known Lightning-user without referencing Guild Wars 2 again... and because the wizards in Magicka don't really have identities to reference. The others, however, are perfectly valid examples of clever or creative ways to use lightning powers, even when just using them to attack foes. The one class known as a master of force lightning should have figured out at least a few of those.

Zookz

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, even I don't not really a Star Wars fan and will most likely stick with WoW but I'm at least giving this a try. I doubt I'll go further then a month of play but it looks like a fun break from WoW really.

And before it's said, I know it looks pretty much like WoW, but I did the same with Rift and thought it was worth the money.

Though, I have a few friends choosing the play as well, which is half of the reason for doing so.

Coldie

Oct 13, 2009
HalfTangible said:
Indeed, it is (and the video shows off most of them, if not all). Unfortunately, that's the second biggest problem with the Sorcerer - everything he does is a form of lightning. Lightning channel, lightning bolt, lightning blast, lightning chain, lightning shield, lightning burst, lightning stun, lightning cyclone... By level 20 you get two bars full of similar-looking purple icons, you cast purple buffs, you get purple procs. Lightning looks pretty, though, and the class story is fairly interesting.

As for my biggest problem with the Sorcerer: while the trailer is in no way representative of the actual gameplay, it shows one thing you'll be seeing a lot. About 1 minute in, Khem Val (the big shaved gorilla) falls down the moment more than one mob looks at him funny. He's your tank companion and he won't survive a non-trivial fight without healing after level 25. Sorcerer's survivability is a touch low for solo play during mid-game. After 30 levels, my biggest regret is not selecting Assassin.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Quiotu said:

Revan collected the force lightning of one of the dark council(mostlikely more powerful than Palpetine and Vader combined) and turned it back on her, reducing her to a pile of ashes. The Immortal Emperor absorbed all of the life on a planet into the force and into himself ( and I mean all of the life, sentient, animal, and plant