Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
IndianaJonny said:
Codeman90 said:
The_ModeRazor said:
Butterjaw said:
The_ModeRazor said:
LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME
Which is a shame, I really liked Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising (haven't played the first games)

Seriously, it's gonna suck hard. Bland, boring gameplay, environments completely uninteresting (and WH 40k has some interesting ones... being a fuck-ass huge galaxy and all) Of course, using the lamest Spess Mehreen chapter don't help none. (Ultramarines... blegh, so Suetastic... besides, isn't Relic making the game? I thought they managed to canonify the Blud Rehvens)

Just putting this out there so that when it comes out and the 'scapist review goes up and everyone agrees how shitty it is, I can point at this here comment and say "called it!" .
Get off that bandwagon boy, the Ultramarines are not Mary Sues. Calgar is the Mary Sue. The internet has completely blown their poster boy status out of the water for no reason.

They are no more 'suetastic' than any of the other Imperial MAHREENS.
Their scouts supposedly have more combat experience than the chapter masters of other chapters. They beat everyone in any fight. And they do it while being one of the nicest things in the WH40k universe. Sounds like Mary Sue-ing to me all right.
I may hate the Ultramarines but they aren't all that bad. Give the Tyranid codex a read sometime. Basically page after page of the Tyranids ripping the Ultramarines a new one. Sure the Marines win in the end, but the best Ultramarines were all dead and Marneus Calgar was essentially outsmarted by a giant alien bug who then proceeded to hand him his ass in single combat. The Tyranids were too busy killing everything else to finish him off =p

Everyone has had their share of ass whoppings in 40k. If its the pansy-do-gooder "mary sue" type you want to hate, look no further then the Tau Empire. Everyone thinks their the good guys, because no one questions the Ethereals =p
You're joking right - have you seen what f&#%ing Matt Ward has done for the Ultrasmurfs in recent years [//1d4chan.org/wiki/Matthew_Ward].

-Calgar was so mary sue in Ward's eyes that he had to invent a new Tyranid foe, the Swarmlord, in order to see him off in a fitting fashion.

-Certain Smurf librarians are said to have power putting Farseers to shame and rivalling that of the Emperor himself (Tiggy had LD9 prior to Ward)

-Guilliman is apparently the 'spiritual liege' for ALL space marines

-Any reasonable attempt to display the Smurfs at anywhere near reasonable Marine capability [//www.graham-mcneill.com/novel.php?id=20] faces obstinate attempts at ret-coning through Ward's god-awful codexes.

Sorry if I went on a bit there but this runs deep for me. The current fluff surrounding the UltraSmurfs is just sickening; don't even get me started on the Grey Knights.
Speaking as someone who plays (or used to) Ultramarines, I can only agree with what you're saying. Yeah Ultramarines were always a bit 'My First Army', yeah they could be pretty bland, but at least I could have some diginity with them up until I lost (and I always lost horribly). I could deal with the fact that the Ultramarines couldn't kill everyone and everything in the universe because this was 40K, sometimes your faction gets the shit kicked out of it in the canon and you get over it. But now I can't have that. I have to put up with the fact that my army is now part of the single most reviled group in the entire 40K universe because of Matt sodding Ward.

And now he's created those bloody stupid Grey Knight papooses!

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
I'm looking forward to it, although the inclusion of a female guardsman as a major character concerns me, but not for the reasons it does some people in this thread.

I'm not concerned that it will be a love interest situation.. lets face it, GW wouldn't let their Space Marine's show any humanity. I'm concerned that she is basically a GW tool for going "hey look, female!" I'd be greatly surprised if she doesn't end up either corrupted, or killed in some gruesome way.

GW's universe is overwhelmingly stuck in the "Power Fantasy of a Lonely Teenage Geek" design mode.

I grew up playing GW games, but the more you look at the lore the more you realise how overwhelmingly depressing it is. There are no good guys, and very little room for good people to function. "In the Grim Darkness of the 40st millennium there is only war" works very well for a table top wargame, but once you start extending that premiss into books, video games and roleplaying games, you need to start editing lore to allow the occasional moment of genuine goodness.

Some of the stories do a good job of it.. Gaunt's Ghost's, for example, have everything.. the horrors of war, the loss of whole planets, deaths of friends.. but they also have love, life and humour. Space Marine stories, which seem to be the only stories GW allows to be told in Video Games, or that developers get behind, are at the best tragedies, but normally just end up being the most generic, overwhelmingly zealous, warlike trash.

GW has made it so that Space Marine's are almost incapable of being decent, relateable, characters. They are both physically conditioned and mentally brainwashed. While they can think for themselves, the indoctrination means that if they go too far they are branded heretics.

So yeah.. I'm not worried about her being a love interest.. however interesting it would be to see a Space Marine struggling with the "heresy" of falling in love.... lets face it, it would get him a bolter to the skull as it would her.

VileTerror

Dec 22, 2010
On the scale of Intense Interest for this game, with the higher value meaning more interest . . . I went from 7.5 straight down to 1 due to this video.

They rubbed me the wrong way . . . quite severely. Referring to the player as "he," stating they wanted to make a movie instead of a game, and generalizing statements about what _I_ want as a fan of 40K.
I was really quite interested in this, up until now. "Bravo."

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Geo Da Sponge said:
Speaking as someone who plays (or used to) Ultramarines, I can only agree with what you're saying. Yeah Ultramarines were always a bit 'My First Army', yeah they could be pretty bland, but at least I could have some diginity with them up until I lost (and I always lost horribly). I could deal with the fact that the Ultramarines couldn't kill everyone and everything in the universe because this was 40K, sometimes your faction gets the shit kicked out of it in the canon and you get over it. But now I can't have that. I have to put up with the fact that my army is now part of the single most reviled group in the entire 40K universe because of Matt sodding Ward.

And now he's created those bloody stupid Grey Knight papooses!
If you're looking for a bit of sanity re. the Ultramarines, try McNeill's The Chapter's Due - though as a Smurfs player you've probably read all of his excellent fiction anyways.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
Yeah uuh the whole "This is totally like a movie guys" feel of the thing kinda bothered me. Aside from that, I guess it does feel 40k-ish, though I still can't comprehend this weird obsession of making bolters sound like regular machine guns. Also, it might be just me, but the Space Marines looked and acted a bit too much like....well, marines in space. Which shouldn't be a problem in any other franchise, except 40k Space Marines aren't your regular "yehaw America fuck yeah, let's rock boys!" marine - they're religious warrior monks with fanatical devotion to their God Emperor. They don't "Save a few orks for you".

Edit: Also, while I personally think the Ultramarines are kind of an obvious and rather lame choice here, I think we all know that the best Space Marines for this game - The Angry Marines, aren't canon.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
This 'interview' was just bad. It's an obvious PR stunt and I doubt any of the speaker had much input in what they said - it feels scripted by marketing.

I suppose that it might only be so because I'm a gamer and the whole 'lol hollywood!' thing really got on my nerve... while somebody who is less invested in the 'game are their own media' debate and just want to see shit blow up might actually think that 'wow! it's like a movie... but you play it!!!!' is a good selling point.

Basically, this trailer was targeted at the lowest common denominator and as such, I found it insulting.

That however, doesn't mean the game will be bad. Poor marketing doesn't really have any effect on gameplay.

Butterjaw

Jun 8, 2010
The_ModeRazor said:
Butterjaw said:
The_ModeRazor said:
LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME
Which is a shame, I really liked Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising (haven't played the first games)

Seriously, it's gonna suck hard. Bland, boring gameplay, environments completely uninteresting (and WH 40k has some interesting ones... being a fuck-ass huge galaxy and all) Of course, using the lamest Spess Mehreen chapter don't help none. (Ultramarines... blegh, so Suetastic... besides, isn't Relic making the game? I thought they managed to canonify the Blud Rehvens)

Just putting this out there so that when it comes out and the 'scapist review goes up and everyone agrees how shitty it is, I can point at this here comment and say "called it!" .
Get off that bandwagon boy, the Ultramarines are not Mary Sues. Calgar is the Mary Sue. The internet has completely blown their poster boy status out of the water for no reason.

They are no more 'suetastic' than any of the other Imperial MAHREENS.
Their scouts supposedly have more combat experience than the chapter masters of other chapters. They beat everyone in any fight. And they do it while being one of the nicest things in the WH40k universe. Sounds like Mary Sue-ing to me all right.
Oh you mean that one scout? Tellion, who has been around for hundreds of years? Yeah he does have more combat experiance than most chapter masters, doesn't mean he is as powerful. The Blood Angels and Space Wolves are much more mary sue-ing than the Ultra's. Especially in the extended fluff, since the Ultra's are being shown as opurtunistic usurpers that were planning to take over the Imperium.

Also the Imperium always wins fights, it the most powerful force in the galaxy. The Ultra's victories are very close in any large conflict they are involved in. The tyrannic wars and the damnos incident for example. They basically lost Damnos and they only won the battle of macragge because they caused a warp explosion in the middle of the hive fleet that cost them an entire segmentum battlefleet.