Trailers: Warhammer 40k: Space Marine: Combat System

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine: Combat System

The developers of Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine discuss the intricacies of the combat system.

Watch Video

Samnite

Sep 21, 2009
Looks good - combat seems to flow pretty well. Although I've a horrible feeling they'll make you chose a close combat weapon and a gun at the start of a mission and no be able to change them for ages...

Jou

Dec 9, 2007
Hobo Steve said:
Anyway, they need to work on a few things. Don't get me wrong. I love Dynasty Warriors but the Orks just standing around like DW basic troopers just aint good enough.
This is the first I have seen of this game and the first thing that came to mind was Dynasty Warriors in space marine outfits. Hey Gundam was turned into a Dynasty Warrior game, why not 40k?

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Doesn't look like there's a lot of weight behind it. Looks more like wading through paper dolls than orks.
I'll keep an eye on it though. Loved DoW.

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
Very nice, it's good to see both Orks and Chaos being slapped. How about Tau, Dark Eldar, or Necrons? Maybe in subsequent games?

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Exploding Bolter rounds! They finally got it right!
And the bolter looked semi-automatic too!

Seriously, it pisses me off so much when bolters are shown being automatic. ONLY HEAVY BOLTERS DO THAT, GOD!

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Still has potential. Though, as others have said, it seems to lack the weight a Space Marine should have. That and it looks a bit slow compared to the awesome concept trailer.
Also, it looks like they've given up on the squad idea, which is a damn shame. Misses the whole Battle Brother concept a Space Marine is based around.
Makes the game more like God of War as opposed to Gears of War.

A few other niggles;
The Chaos marines look like they're going down easy. Missed chance for some worthy opponents and squad based combat. Plus it kinda classes with lore a little.
The Lascannon was sadly tiny.
I hate Mary Sue Ultrasmurfs. Curse you Matt Ward.
Haven't heard anything about the promised RPG elements yet.

Otherwise, pretty good. The guns certainly look powerful enough, and they've finally made a game where the Space Marines are as powerful as they are in the lore. +1 to Relic.

Predictions:
I suspect this game will be good, but thin on features.
So 7/10, 8/10s all around.
Then, if successful enough, the sequel will make it the game it should have been.

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
I think the term "Boom, headshot" would feel right at home here.

Always good to see some blood splatter after tearing an enemy in two, but I hope that those slow-motion execution parts of the trailer don't transition into the actual game (the 'Ranged Fury' slow-mo I'm fine with).

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
I'm looking forward to this, yeah.... but I just hope they get it right. This has the potential to be really really good..... or it could be rubbish.

evilstonermonkey

Oct 26, 2009
"There's a lot of blood, a lot of gore, so the gore junkies are gonna love it."
Well thank god I'm not that interested, being in Australia and all.

As others have said, looks like Dynasty Warriors 40,000. Enemies need to be made less passive, standing around waiting to have a go. Bleh. Ah well, as I said, wasn't that interested to begin with. If they ever make it so you can play as a Chaos Marine I might have a look, or a Tyranid (though I really don't see that working well) I might consider it.

ragestreet

Oct 17, 2008
Screw the smurfs! Imperial Guard or nothing! Seriously how fun would it be to play a baneblade tank captain?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Sound interesting, I love the 40k universe but it seems a bit shallow at the moment. Currently it's at a rental but if they add some depth like squad work and formidable battle against chaos it will be a definite buy