Transformers 2 Writers Explain Why it Sucked

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I'm so glad I never was into transformers as a kid, seeing what these movies seem to do to the franchise.

Those designs are horrible.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
The second movie guaranteed I will never see the 3rd one:

1) The backdoor of the Smithsonian in Washington DC apparently opens right into the middle of the American Southwest.

2) Over 10 million people in Shanghai, at least half of whom own cell phones, and they i) evacuate the city in a matter of minutes, and ii) no one gets a picture or video of the 10-story giant robot tearing down buildings downtown.

3) In the first movie there was a rumble between the Autobots and Decepticons that levelled half of a major American city, but somehow the world's governments have been able to keep the existence of Transformers a secret in the 2nd movie.

Maybe, maybe I could have forgiven one or two of the above if the movie had been at all entertaining, but it was neither funny nor exciting.

Revenge of the Fallen had such contempt not only for its audience's intelligence, but the intelligence of the human race.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
khaimera said:
PhiMed said:
zombie711 said:
Was I the only person who thought Transformers 2 was really Awsome?
It had tons of action and explosions, and robot killing each other.
Not movie of the year but still really good.
khaimera said:
I thought of this movie like I do an action game. That means I don't care what the story is and I just want to get straight into the action.
But the action sucked. It was poorly choreographed, inexpertly shot, ugly, difficult to follow, and pointless. There was no tension or sense of purpose or danger. I swear during the fight where Optimus "died" I just quit trying to figure out who the hell was doing what and spaced out.

And just when you started to care about what was going on in the action, they'd cut to captain douchebag running like a sissy, or slutdog McGee doing... something... with that damn thing in her purse. Or one of the comic relief characters doing something racially offensive. Or they'd make a dick joke that wouldn't make a 12 year-old chuckle.

I get so tired of people saying this movie was good "because of robots fighting and stuff".

I could make more interesting, more exciting action sequences with some fireworks and gasoline in my back yard.
I get what you are saying. I was pretty high at the time and was just like "wow, these special effect are amazing, look at all the parts these robots have, how did they do that?" The movie, of what I remember, was pretty shitty all around.
so what qualifys as a good non postapocoliptic giant robot action movie to you?

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Usually when people raise that sort of question, the immediate answer is "No, of course you aren't!", but in this case I can honestly say I have never seen anyone else ever describe Transformers 2 as "awesome", or "really good". I've seen people admit to enjoying it of course, but you usually get the sense that at least they know why they weren't supposed to.
My friend would disappoint you. He hatred District 9 and The Hurt Locker but ABSOLUTEY LOVED Transformers. His reasons? "Well it has hot babes, cool cars, and awesome action scenes!!!"

OT: Oh cmon, there was so much wrong with that, not just timing. Horrible acting, racist robots, blurry action. Timing/bad writing were only just a part of that

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
luvd1 said:
So what was the excuse for the first movie?
First thing that popped in my mind too.

The aforementioned quotes of "a horrible experience of unbearable length", "simply despicable" and "crap" are all what I'd consider euphemisms for the first movie.

Grinsk

Apr 14, 2011
Bad Timing? Just sounds like another one of Bay's scapegoats. Personally, I thought the movie was just way too fucking long. It just seemed to drag on forever. There is only so much Shia Labeouf I can take.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Cause making back the money is all that really matters and that excuses it for sucking.

I don't know if anyone can tell, but I am a bit of a transformers fan boy, but I couldn't finish the second movie. I got to the part where LeBuff was spazzing out in class and dropping his books and couldn't go further.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
So it was a rushed job. That makes sense. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't exactly good if you know what I mean.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Bay should hire the HISHE guys. Observe, the true Transformers 2, with its proper ending:

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
zombie711 said:
khaimera said:
PhiMed said:
zombie711 said:
Was I the only person who thought Transformers 2 was really Awsome?
It had tons of action and explosions, and robot killing each other.
Not movie of the year but still really good.
khaimera said:
I thought of this movie like I do an action game. That means I don't care what the story is and I just want to get straight into the action.
But the action sucked. It was poorly choreographed, inexpertly shot, ugly, difficult to follow, and pointless. There was no tension or sense of purpose or danger. I swear during the fight where Optimus "died" I just quit trying to figure out who the hell was doing what and spaced out.

And just when you started to care about what was going on in the action, they'd cut to captain douchebag running like a sissy, or slutdog McGee doing... something... with that damn thing in her purse. Or one of the comic relief characters doing something racially offensive. Or they'd make a dick joke that wouldn't make a 12 year-old chuckle.

I get so tired of people saying this movie was good "because of robots fighting and stuff".

I could make more interesting, more exciting action sequences with some fireworks and gasoline in my back yard.
I get what you are saying. I was pretty high at the time and was just like "wow, these special effect are amazing, look at all the parts these robots have, how did they do that?" The movie, of what I remember, was pretty shitty all around.
so what qualifys as a good non postapocoliptic giant robot action movie to you?
ummmm. I can't remember any. But my memory is shot anyways. Got any ideas?

I did like the tv show Small Wonder, but she was regular size.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Remember Remember the Fifth of November, you must destroy the ring Mr. Anderson, PRIME!!!!!

Ian Lutz

Jan 23, 2011
This is just sad, look, why don't they just admit what really happened. Transformers 2 was a clear sign that nobody involved had any care what so ever for the subject matter. Even if it was a first draft, the whole concept was stupid. Okay yeah, maybe if they had more time the movie wouldn't be AS BAD, but that doesn't mean that it still wouldn't have sucked. The only good thing to come out of this whole mess is that the writers actually agree that their movie sucked.

Wharrgarble

Jun 22, 2010
Considering that Roberto Orci is producing Transformers Prime, I know he's CAPABLE of good production/writing base around giant robots. However, Revenge of the Fallen was an all around disaster. It was mildly amusing at best and a tremendous headache at worst.

I hope they pull it together for the third, but my hopes aren't... high...

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
This is just another marketing campaign. We've seen it before, people. A few months before the release of a new game/movie that is a sequel, the director or someone else from the production crew says the last movie sucks, but to "trust him" that the new one will be awesome. You know what Bay? Fuck you. You make horrible movies that cater to idiots and yes, I stand by that. Who the hell could watch the flabbergast that was the first and second Transformer movie and say it was "decent" or "enjoyable"? So many people say the action was good but seriously, fuck them. The action was confusing, nauseating and overall terrible. Couple that with horrible acting and focusing way to much on Megan Fox and Shia LeShit and you've got the Transformers movie series. You know what amazes me the most about the writers and Bay himself? They managed to ruin a movie that based itself on robots fighting each other. How the HELL can you ruin robots fighting each other? Oh, I know how. Focus entirely on boring, stale humans. Because when people go to see a movie about giant robots fighting each other, they want to see humans attempting to fuck each other.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
urgh theyre re using those transformer designs for a third time? look Optimus Prime DOES NOT look like that come on they even redisighned Megatron a bit why cant they make a few changes to Prime?.

atleast get rid of the flaming paint scheme will you!.

also less humans please.