Treyarch is "100% Call of Duty"

MadMechanic

Nov 6, 2009
Poomanchu745 said:
soren7550 said:
This sounds like a bad idea and move on Treyarch's part.

I mean, people have pretty much always viewed the Trecharch installments of CoD the weaker/lesser installments of the series.
Someone really needs to let them know because it sounds as though they think they are God's gift to the CoD franchise...
I remember when one of Treyarch made a comment (something along the lines of) "in real life, you needed about 2 shots from a WW2 bolt action to kill someone"
and the brilliant response from one of IW's staff.

Booted up CoD3 and WaW this afternoon on the PS2 and computer. God, those are hilariously naff.
Well, heres to seeing how awful/average BO will be.
[sub]Since they seem to have broken time by having several guns in certain period-set levels before they even existed. I'm looking at you, AUG A1, 10 years before the first prototype was designed...[/sub]

shotgunbob

Mar 24, 2009
Acidwell said:
Wow so now they might actually make a new game instead of modding infinity ward games into older time periods.

And you wouldn't use the best game engine and online system made at that point for your FPS project?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems all the players for the original making are ducking out here and there. A shame realy, but...it happens

DCMan

Dec 24, 2008
blakfayt said:
Why in the world would a SINGLE GAME need the entire attention of a whole studio
Well if you see how badly MW2 flopped you can understand why Trey wants all of the focus on BO. I have been an avid Call of Duty player back to the original, and I will be the first to tell you that IW half arsed MW2. Treyarch is doing the wise thing and trying to make the best/ most balanced product they can so they do not suffer the same fate as Infinity.
WaW was the best game in the CoD franchise by far. The campaign was much more compelling then MW or MW2, and the online, while was bugged at first was fixed extremely quickly, where as MW2 has been suffering from the same problems since Day 1 and they have not been fixed.

Example:
Waw: You originally could get under the maps and wreak havoc. Within 1 week the maps were fixed with all openings closed. The Leader boards were continuously cleaned up so hackers would not hold top spots.

MW2: The leveling issues of certain maps allowed you to be killed while in plain sight with the other person not in view and the shotguns unbalanced game play are the two biggest flaws I noticed. The leveling issues were never addressed and while they attempted to fix the shotguns the problem came right back if you equipped certain perks. Also the leader boards are not kept up on.

And to try to keep interest in the game they are putting map packs out, half of which are re-makes of the 'better MW maps'. These maps came free with MW and now they are trying to cash in cheaply without having to do much work. I was a level designer for UT1999 and UT2k4. I know how easy the temptation is to re-gen maps for a new game to give players a nostalgic sense. It is just sad.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Poomanchu745 said:
soren7550 said:
This sounds like a bad idea and move on Treyarch's part.

I mean, people have pretty much always viewed the Trecharch installments of CoD the weaker/lesser installments of the series.
Someone really needs to let them know because it sounds as though they think they are God's gift to the CoD franchise...
Will do:

(All ratings taking from Metacritic)
Main Games
Call of Duty (Infinity Ward) - 91%

Call of Duty 2 (Infinity Ward) - 89% (360) 86% (PC)

Call of Duty 3 (Treyarch) - 80% (PS3) 82% (360) 69% (Wii) 82% (PS2)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Infinity Ward) - 94%

Call of Duty: World at War (Treyarch) - 83% (PC) 85% (PS3) 84% (360) 83% (Wii)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward) 94% (PS3) 94% (360) 85% (PC)

So from the main games in the series, Infinity Ward has a 90.43% rating while Treyarch has a 81% average rating. But that's before you count all the 'side games'. (counting only those made by Infinity Ward & Treyarch)

Other Call of Duty Titles
Call of Duty 2: Big Red One (Treyarch) - 78% (X-Box) 77% (PS2) 76% (GameCube)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex (Treyarch) - 76% (Wii)
(let me know if I forgot any)

Adding the side games made by Treyarch lowers their average to 79.58% (the side games averaging out to 76.75%).

Now, I wonder how I can send this to Treyarch?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
I like them, I really do and I hope that they get the MW franchise if IW is shut down.
But, guys, don't you want to do something that is your own?
*whip*

THERE IS NO CREATIVITY AT GAMES.
THERE IS NO FUN IN GAMES.
THERE IS NO FREEDOM IN GAMES.

THERE IS FEAR.
THERE IS UNCERTAINTY.
THERE IS PROFIT.

SO SAYETH THE ACTIVISION.

Handofpwn

Aug 6, 2008
Bad move in my opinion since a series can only go on for so long before it stagnates like final fantasy.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
spastic alter ego You don't hear about Halo anymore...
True, but that's not to say Halo games aren't still shifting a boat load of units. Not being top dog take a lot of pressure away from a development team to break records and meet deadline X.

On the other hand, given Activision's recent treatment of flagship studios, this could end up being disastrous for Treyarch of Black Ops doesn't sell, or more dangerously, sells above expectations.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
Well, I'm glad they're giving themselves focus, but I sincerely hope they don't expect to get my business anymore. I am pulling back my support completely for the CoD franchise as a whole, and I question the possibility of buying Activision games period. Any game that Activision decides needs to be over charged on the PC is an instant write-off for me. My oppinion on Treyarch is they were the runner ups for a reason, though. They never quite did as well as Infinity Ward did. C'est la vie, nothing to be done about it now, except to show my stance with my wallet.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I liked their games a lot more than IW's and that's not me talking in the sense of being all fanboyish, I just liked their games more when I played them, single-player and multi-player.

World at War was a fucking blast!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
At the rate these games are coming out, Call of Duty is going to transcend FPS's and become its own bloody genre.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
This might cause some controversy but I believe their games are far better than IW's. Good news, good news.

Giantcain

Oct 29, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Jack and Calumon said:
spastic alter ego You don't hear about Halo anymore...
True, but that's not to say Halo games aren't still shifting a boat load of units. Not being top dog take a lot of pressure away from a development team to break records and meet deadline X.

On the other hand, given Activision's recent treatment of flagship studios, this could end up being disastrous for Treyarch of Black Ops doesn't sell, or more dangerously, sells above expectations.
when did Calumon become a spastic alter ego

but yea bad move there Treyarch.

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009
COD bores me, I've never understood the phenomenon. Yes, i enjoyed the PC version of COD 4, but i'm seriously over the obsession with World Wars. Get of your ass and be creative for once in your life. Hasn't this series been running longer than WWII itself?

wowman123

May 25, 2010
cool, but where to next i mean after black ops what can they do? perhaps they will do something in the future because call of duty dosen't suck enough already.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Brain_Cleanser said:
sephiroth1991 said:
Brain_Cleanser said:
sephiroth1991 said:
They basicully shot themselfs in the foot haven't they, saying your going to make only one franchise is like saying you will not eat anymore fruit and we know the result of that.
I don't think they're gonna get scurvy...

I personaly haven't played any of the Treyarch CoDs (In all reality, I've literaly only played MW2) so I can't really say anything about the quality of their games, but I have to agree that focusing all your efforts on one game is just... special.
Many people say they made them much worst than IW versions but i think they all just the same, they have both their pros and cons, all they doing is just makeing another game it's not like they are taking the orignal developers story and changing it, they all play the same. When someone says to you they make rubbish don't listen to them, they just same average shooter nothing special. It's not like IW have a special formula.
Eh, I can believe that. The CoD series to me feels like a game that can really be passed to any competent studio and get something good, or atleast OK, it's not like, say Mario which really has to be in the hands of Nintendo, as far as I'm concerned.

But really, dood, about that scurvy thing...
I was just useing the scurvy as metaphore for developers sticking to one type of game, like just eating meat. But yeah Mario i can beleve is a game that needs to be nintendo like how Team Fortress needs to be valve.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Oh, i thought they were "100% Shit".(Okay, okay there was Die by the Sword and some decent Spiderman games), but Call of Duty games - not their strong suit.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
And thus one of gaming's most hallowed franchises finally goes the way of the dodo. Farewell!