Treyarch Isn't Infinity Ward Yet, Says EA Boss

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I have played CoD 3 and MW on console, and Blops on PC.

CoD 3 had an ok single player but the multiplayer was extremely lacking.

MW was great. It had a solid single player and introduced weapon unlocks and levelling to the CoD franchise.

I tried the WaW demo on Xbox 360, but the terrible graphics burned my eyes when I looked at it. I don't understand how anyone could stand that. But lots of people liked it, so it must have been an improvement over CoD 3.

Then I switched to PC.

I didn't get MW2 because of the entire controversy around it. It was like the personification of bad console ports. No thanks.

But Black Ops? It's a great game. The single player is now atrocious, which is the reason for the low review scores, but the multiplayer is great fun. No, it's definitely not on par with Battlefield games. But it's still good, quick fun. And at least it's not MW2.

So I would say, thank god Treyarch isn't Infinity Ward yet. Infinity Ward got worse before exploding. I really hope that doesn't happen to Treyarch. They seem to be getting better and better. They won't be Infinity Ward until they completely screw over PC gamers, their CEO gets fired, and a lot of devs leave the company.

pulse2

May 10, 2008
Thats actually insulting to Treyarch, IW only made two games and I even fail to see where they could go from there other than to make another generic modern warfare game, trearch kept things the way they usually do, old fashioned, and it worked. Black Ops was BETTER than any Modern Warfare game I've played.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Treyarch are terrible developers; the only reason people tolerate them is because they pretend to be listening to the community. Activision should stop publishing Call of Duty games and have Treyarch make a full Nazi Zombie game. Let's all hope that Sledgehammer Games can make the first good Call of Duty in five years.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Jumplion said:
Doesn't it seem like forever ago when EA was the devil's company and Activision was the underdog?

My god, how times have changed
Ahhhhh 2008, How we miss thee...Note* Which is a better response than "This".

The "EA evil" brings back some amount of nostalgia.

May 5, 2010
Is he kidding? Blops beats the SHIT out of MW2, for one reason.

....*deep breath*.....

[HEADING=1]DUAL WIELDING SHOTGUNS?????!!!!!!!!!![/HEADING]

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
I used to echo his sentiment, but after seeing Treyarch's community support and listening to the disproportionate amount of crap they take for not being Infinity Ward, I'm willing to say that they're at least as good.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
Sturmdolch said:
I have played CoD 3 and MW on console, and Blops on PC.

CoD 3 had an ok single player but the multiplayer was extremely lacking.

MW was great. It had a solid single player and introduced weapon unlocks and levelling to the CoD franchise.

I tried the WaW demo on Xbox 360, but the terrible graphics burned my eyes when I looked at it. I don't understand how anyone could stand that. But lots of people liked it, so it must have been an improvement over CoD 3.

Then I switched to PC.

I didn't get MW2 because of the entire controversy around it. It was like the personification of bad console ports. No thanks.

But Black Ops? It's a great game. The single player is now atrocious, which is the reason for the low review scores, but the multiplayer is great fun. No, it's definitely not on par with Battlefield games. But it's still good, quick fun. And at least it's not MW2.

So I would say, thank god Treyarch isn't Infinity Ward yet. Infinity Ward got worse before exploding. I really hope that doesn't happen to Treyarch. They seem to be getting better and better. They won't be Infinity Ward until they completely screw over PC gamers, their CEO gets fired, and a lot of devs leave the company.
You played the same pc that I played?! I mean the one full of bugs that had to be solved, but not enterily with a patch ( http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/709244/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-PC-Patch-Details.html).
Anyway, I played all the COD's except COD 3 (I only played for 30 min. so I'm not counting this one). COD's are more more the same game. Cheap thrills and re skin graphics. For multiplayer sure it changes a little, but they are unfriendly. Lot's of kids with spare time play these game religiously, just like Counter Strike and it's no longer fun play a game that everyone is so addicted to it that they will curse you in the slightest sign of error.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Jumplion said:
Doesn't it seem like forever ago when EA was the devil's company and Activision was the underdog?

Yeah, now they're both devil companies!

I guess that would make Ubisoft the underdog? Maybe? Are there any other giant publishers I'm forgetting right now?

OT: Yeah, I think everyone knew this already. Treyarch games are getting better, from what I've heard, and judging by MW2, Infinity Ward is getting worse.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
brazuca said:
You played the same pc that I played?! I mean the one full of bugs that had to be solved, but not enterily with a patch ( http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/709244/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-PC-Patch-Details.html).
Yup. I played it on two PCs, actually. First, my 1.5 year old gaming laptop. And now that I have a new computer, on that.

I have yet to encounter the bugs that everyone seems to be talking about. Yes, the game crashed a couple of times. And I sometimes have trouble connecting to my friend's server. But it's hardly game breaking.

I think some people are just putting their settings too high, or playing on too old computers.

Should Black Ops be this graphically demanding? Of course not. It's very poorly optimized for PCs. But all the same, the problems with not being able to run the game most likely stem from the wrong settings or other programs on your computer interfering with the game.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Double A said:
Jumplion said:

I guess that would make Ubisoft the underdog? Maybe? Are there any other giant publishers I'm forgetting right now?

OT: Yeah, I think everyone knew this already. Treyarch games are getting better, from what I've heard, and judging by MW2, Infinity Ward is getting worse.
Well, I'd say that EA has redeemed most of their past sins right now. Certainly better than what was going on before. I'd like to think that Dead Space sparked the initial change in EA.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
In an interview with IndustryGamers, Riccitiello noted that sales numbers don't necessarily indicate quality. Black Ops may have beaten out Modern Warfare 2 at retail, but its average review scores are slightly lower.
Too bad that he doesn't realize that review scores don't indicate quality either. It's the actual reviews that do that, not the utterly stupid number at the end. If both games are good games, then they are good games. That is that. It doesn't matter if one has a 89 and the other has a 90 on Metacritic, the second worst site on the internet in relation to gaming (first is IGN).

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Jumplion said:
Double A said:
Jumplion said:

Well, I'd say that EA has redeemed most of their past sins right now. Certainly better than what was going on before. I'd like to think that Dead Space sparked the initial change in EA.
Ok, EA certainly is getting better. And they tend to zing Activision a lot.

EA, don't let me down.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Well if my personal opinion matters for anything (it doesn't)

My favourite Post COD2 game was COD WAW, I also suspect that I'm going to really enjoy BLOPS for the new multiplayer modes and that The cold war era is interesting.

I didn't like MW2 very much at all, and COD4 was okay.

Deathman101

Sep 22, 2009
Uhm, what they fail to realize is that the majority of COD players didn't even know there were two companies making the games.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Fronzel said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Did you just manage to criticize the people who made one of the most successful entertainment products in history, John?
See:

Riccitiello noted that sales numbers don't necessarily indicate quality.
[/obvious]
My bad, I left the phrase unfinished for some reason. Short attention span, maybe?

What I was trying to say is "Did you just manage to criticize the people who made one of the most successful entertainment products in history by saying they didn't do it fast enough, John?"

For some reason I left out that last part and sounded fairly stupid as a result.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Can someone explain the difference between MW2 multiplayer, and Blops MP to me? I mean, i know about customization, and CoD points and them all (non-gameplay ideas), but what is different about it in terms of Gameplay? New maps, a couple new modes, slightly different stock of guns. It's not a different game (like Halo, or even Bad company, is) it looks the same, sounds the same, plays the same(i've played SP and they DO play the same) so why are people clamoring over it.

OT: As one of the five people on the planet who liked Medal of Honor:.... don't make another one, Riccitiello, cause the only 2 things I liked it for were it's atmosphere and it's ending. and those are one-time deals.