Treyarch Isn't Infinity Ward Yet, Says EA Boss

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Hurr...reminds me of Star Wars Episode V:

"The Force is strong within you Skywalker...but you are not a Jedi yet!"

Otherwise...yeah, some double-talk happening here heh. Not sure if he was directly asked on the issue or not, but it might've been a teensy bit wiser to wait and deliver this kind of reply until after they managed a similar sales success in their shooter franchises. Up until then, diplomatic answers might be a bit wiser...or maybe they have a more long-term plan going with this *shrug* we'll see.

That said, based on what I've been hearing about Black Ops - yes, it certainly isn't the same. Then again, it's kind of hard for me to tell with these games that seem to be specifically designed to suck in the multiplayer crowd while just taking the easiest and vainest route with their singleplayer part.

omskillet

Dec 20, 2010
Baresark said:
HAHA, here is another amazing realization for the gaming world. Black Ops is Modern Warfare 2 with new textures and skins!!!

If you make a game by copying a previous companies work, it should get lower scores.

On another note, this is a rare breed of CEO, it's not the sales that matter? He is blowing smoke up gamers asses, he doesn't care one bit about game quality. He could have put the CoD name on any game and it would sell ridiculously. I took a CoD earlier today, I have it floating in the toilet still, who wants to pay me millions of dollars for it?!?
To all the stupid fucks that think its actually possible to "reskin" another game with only "new textures"...you are fucking retards. You don't reskin a game. It would harder and more time consuming to reskin a game than to make a new game...even if using the same engine. Don't spread your fucking ignorance to the rest of the world please.

Also, to the person that said that DICE has been innovating...do you realize that battlefield has been around just as long as COD?? What has changed?? Its the same fucking game...just like COD is the same game. MOH sucks my fat dick. It has for over 10 years. Seriously, JR is talking about how long it took for COD to sell double digit millions? Have all the games EA has released combined in the past 2 years even come to reaching what Blops has sold? Blops + MW2 have sold more that the entire EA library in the past 5 years.

*golf clap*

EA...congrats for talking a bigger game than you can actually produce!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
omskillet said:
Baresark said:
HAHA, here is another amazing realization for the gaming world. Black Ops is Modern Warfare 2 with new textures and skins!!!

If you make a game by copying a previous companies work, it should get lower scores.

On another note, this is a rare breed of CEO, it's not the sales that matter? He is blowing smoke up gamers asses, he doesn't care one bit about game quality. He could have put the CoD name on any game and it would sell ridiculously. I took a CoD earlier today, I have it floating in the toilet still, who wants to pay me millions of dollars for it?!?
To all the stupid fucks that think its actually possible to "reskin" another game with only "new textures"...you are fucking retards. You don't reskin a game. It would harder and more time consuming to reskin a game than to make a new game...even if using the same engine. Don't spread your fucking ignorance to the rest of the world please.
I think you've taken him just a bit too literally on that one.

AjimboB said:
Infinity Ward completely fucked up MW2, and Treyarch cleaned up their mess, with Black Ops.
Haven't they just released a patch that makes everything worse, and it was in a fairly dire state already (terrible PC performance being just one issue)?

OT: Who cares?

CoD should have been made irrelevant after the 4th game, IW haven't made anything I've really liked since CoD 2 and Treyarch are yet to prove they can do anything particularly well.

EA need to stop worrying about what are Activision are doing - yes, they're bigger, but everyone also hates them and they're borderline self-destructive. If it wasn't for Blizzard I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't wipe themselves out soon.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Woodsey said:
omskillet said:
Baresark said:

I think you've taken him just a bit too literally on that one.
Why yes he has, thank you for clarifying for our friend over here. So angry, guess I really hit a nerve with that one.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Jumplion said:
massive quote snip

Which not even IW could do *kekekekeke*

Oh, c'mon, as far as I've played, none of the new CoD games have ever been balanced in terms of multiplayer. It's like, every other second you expect to die compared to something like Bad Company where it's a much more slower paced game and you get rewarded for helping your teammates.

Wait, I think I may have started something...

Crap! Get to the bunker!

Yeah, I get having a fast paced shooter, but when I play something like Blacklight and feel like it's better balanced than CoD ($15 psn versus $60 disc game) I see a problem. Both fast paced shooters, but the download just felt more balanced. Or even MAG, which enforced teamwork by having small health totals, etc...
OT: No, they aren't IW. In a few games, maybe. And maybe in a few more Medal of Honor, EA will be at Treyarch's level. It all goes down to knowing the game your making, who is buying it, and finally how much experience you have doing it. One reason sequels are better. MechWarrior one is worse than MechWarrior 4 in gameplay. I wonder why.

WrathOfBanja

Jun 9, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Black Ops may have beaten out Modern Warfare 2 at retail, but its average review scores are slightly lower.
Average review scores havent meant anything for a LONG time... lol

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Jumplion said:
Doesn't it seem like forever ago when EA was the devil's company and Activision was the underdog?

My god, how times have changed

OT: I can see, and mostly agree, with what he's saying. Though Medal of Honor "exceeding expectations" when he said (in the source) "It's somewhere around mid-70s? Jeez, those are some interesting expectations you ahve there.
Honestly, I didn't get the low review scores for MoH, I loved the multiplayer.

F-I-D-O said:
Jumplion said:
massive quote snip

Which not even IW could do *kekekekeke*

Oh, c'mon, as far as I've played, none of the new CoD games have ever been balanced in terms of multiplayer. It's like, every other second you expect to die compared to something like Bad Company where it's a much more slower paced game and you get rewarded for helping your teammates.

Wait, I think I may have started something...

Crap! Get to the bunker!

Yeah, I get having a fast paced shooter, but when I play something like Blacklight and feel like it's better balanced than CoD ($15 psn versus $60 disc game) I see a problem. Both fast paced shooters, but the download just felt more balanced. Or even MAG, which enforced teamwork by having small health totals, etc...
OT: No, they aren't IW. In a few games, maybe. And maybe in a few more Medal of Honor, EA will be at Treyarch's level. It all goes down to knowing the game your making, who is buying it, and finally how much experience you have doing it. One reason sequels are better. MechWarrior one is worse than MechWarrior 4 in gameplay. I wonder why.
I love MW4, Behemoth II all the way!

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
pulse2 said:
Thats actually insulting to Treyarch, IW only made two games and I even fail to see where they could go from there other than to make another generic modern warfare game, trearch kept things the way they usually do, old fashioned, and it worked. Black Ops was BETTER than any Modern Warfare game I've played.
Sorry, but this is necessary:

Um, IW INVENTED CoD. CoD 1,2,4, and 6 were all IW. That's 4 games, not 2.

philzibit

May 25, 2009
Treyarch is better. STAMP!

Why? Because they actually listen to the fans and put out patches the fix the game, rather than fuck it up more.

ALSO! Fuck that, Treyarch did Spider-Man 2. IW was a one trick pony.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
omskillet said:
Baresark said:
Also, to the person that said that DICE has been innovating...do you realize that battlefield has been around just as long as COD?? What has changed?? Its the same fucking game...just like COD is the same game. MOH sucks my fat dick. It has for over 10 years. Seriously, JR is talking about how long it took for COD to sell double digit millions? Have all the games EA has released combined in the past 2 years even come to reaching what Blops has sold? Blops + MW2 have sold more that the entire EA library in the past 5 years.

*golf clap*

EA...congrats for talking a bigger game than you can actually produce!
It's so damn hard that Valve has been doing it for years. In fact they even did a map for L4D2, using a map of TF2. It's official. They stated that using the same engine made things much easier. Anyway Treyarch can do terrifc jobs on COD, no doubt. My problem is on COD single player itself now. I'll never be good on multiplayer COD, too many people playing this game like a job or something. Stop using cheap thrills that's my complain. Black Ops should not contain so many explosion. After MW3, well. Activision should start thinking remake this game seriously. Yeah America loves it, the rest of the world buys it. For how long do we want more of the same?

EDIT: you wanna see a good example. See the tv show 24h. C'mon you better than this, I think...

LonsomeRhodes

Oct 3, 2010
This is from the guy who put out a lame MoH game and showed no balls when Fox News came after him over the Taliban/"opposing force" issue?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
of course not yet, seeing how BO is just MW2...2.0 lol

but ah we'll see what's happening, Treyarch has indeed been trying tho (and it's paying off...assuming Activision pays them and simply doesn't have battle royale collars around the developers' necks)