Tribes Ascend Released

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
I think most FPS vets are familiar with the horror of any type of flashbang grenade, but I've noticed that in Tribes if you have some room to move instead of running around like a maniac and getting headshotted, you can just jet off blindly and usually at least get away. I had this happen a few times where I came to about 100 feet away from where the action was happening.

Can anyone clarify a few things about the Infiltrators stealth for me? If I'm behind a wall, even destealthed, the enemy doesn't see an icon over my head, right? So by moving around objects you can effectively lose the enemy? And can they see you're icon no matter where you are when the radar is up? And what's the damage range for melee attacks? It seems inconsistent to me, and I can't imagine all the heavies in the generator room are running with Close Combat.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Luca72 said:
I think most FPS vets are familiar with the horror of any type of flashbang grenade, but I've noticed that in Tribes if you have some room to move instead of running around like a maniac and getting headshotted, you can just jet off blindly and usually at least get away. I had this happen a few times where I came to about 100 feet away from where the action was happening.

Can anyone clarify a few things about the Infiltrators stealth for me? If I'm behind a wall, even destealthed, the enemy doesn't see an icon over my head, right? So by moving around objects you can effectively lose the enemy? And can they see you're icon no matter where you are when the radar is up? And what's the damage range for melee attacks? It seems inconsistent to me, and I can't imagine all the heavies in the generator room are running with Close Combat.
I think if you're behind a wall you don't get seen since I usually hide in a corner without stealth when waiting for the enemy techs, and don't get seen until I pop out and hit them a few times. I think it also depends on if there radar is out. If its running and probably leveled I think you'll show. Can't help with melee, I can't figure it out. Seems like it does no damage when I do it so I just stick them with a grenade.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
If the sensor is on and you're in range, it'll still ping you behind walls.

Melee is... difficult.

And it's hard for me to dodge whiteouts since I play goalie.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
I've got that Quick Draw perk now, and I'm liking it a lot. I've got the first upgrade but the second will have to wait till tomorrow.

Now I don't know whether to save for the utility pack or get Safety Third first. I've also got the last two stages of the armour upgrades still to buy. It bugs me because the last upgrade is 12000 XP for +50 HP which might well be worth it, but the penultimate is 6000 XP for +5 Energy, which is balls. By the time I have enough for the both of them then I have enough for a perk, so I haven't got round to it yet :/

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
NightHawk21 said:
The Crotch said:
Potential energy is a good perk for raiders who run with the shield pack, especially indoors. Some people use an ultra capacitor along with it. Or survivalist (get energy and health from ammo nuggets).

EDIT: And yeah, quick draw is a very good perk (to the point that a lot of people are hoping that it gets removed and everyone just gets increased weapon swaps and reloads across the board), and it works well for classes like the soldier and the brute.

For classes like the doombringer... not so much.
I don't think anything works for doombringer. That classes is really underpowered.
Super Heavy and Safety Third, then sit your fat ass on the flag, drop a force field in one oncoming direction, a bunch of mines around, and watch as pathfinder run into your face and die.If you have a sentinel, have them drop their claymore alongside your mines. Watch for high flyers and vehicles, use your Saber when they spot them.

If you're a sentinel, place yourself where enemies will be coming straight towards you. It's difficult to hit enemies flying at 200 sanics perpindicular to your position.

Raiders, you're built to destroy enemy defenses, go do that.

Infiltrators should go and blow up the enemy generator.

Techs are Gen defense, drop a light turrent in a corner, use thumper to kill the rest.

Pathfinders are flaggrabbers, with the right perks, discjumping, and a good slope, you can get up to 400 sanics.

Soldiers and Jugs are really mixed, they can be good at either base defense or base attack, depending on what's needed.

Brute are useless.

And because people are going to ask what a Sanic is, I'll leave this right here.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9C0W1380fw

That video tells me melee is worth figuring out if you're going to play infiltrator. I've gotten a few good kills in gen rooms with it, but a lot of the time I miss and then just hop around trying to cut them like a jackass.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Luca72 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9C0W1380fw

That video tells me melee is worth figuring out if you're going to play infiltrator. I've gotten a few good kills in gen rooms with it, but a lot of the time I miss and then just hop around trying to cut them like a jackass.
Ya that's the video I watched too, but he seems to do a lot more damage to the people. I usually have to hit a techy twice while he hits a heavy twice and they go down. At first I thought it was a perk that gives the backstab bonus, but even with that it still seems like there's something I'm missing.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
The Crotch said:
You sure you have the final upgrade on close combat?
I don't, but even with it its a fifty percent upgrade so 1.5x damage, and I hit techies for about half health.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Final upgrade backstabs will one-shot non-heavies. Unsure on damage without the upgrades; doombringers get very few reasons to pull out the sword.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
NightHawk21 said:
I don't, but even with it its a fifty percent upgrade so 1.5x damage, and I hit techies for about half health.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the last upgrade increases melee damage; the other upgrades reduce incoming melee damage.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
WoW Killer said:
NightHawk21 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the last upgrade increases melee damage; the other upgrades reduce incoming melee damage.
No you're right. From memory I think the first 2 upgrades are reduce incoming by either 10% or 15% each and the last one is +50% backstab. I was just going off what I think the math would be.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Eh, I haven't done the math, but it wouldn't be the first time the description of something was incorrect.

Look at the final upgrade of super heavy. "Damages enemies who run"? What the fuck?

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
The Crotch said:
Eh, I haven't done the math, but it wouldn't be the first time the description of something was incorrect.

Look at the final upgrade of super heavy. "Damages enemies who run"? What the fuck?
That's probably it then. Guess I'll have to invest some xp into it.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
In about fifteen minutes, Area 51 will be opening up their servers and giving away a total of 10,000 gold as well as assorted beta keys (Dota 2, Firefall, etc.) for the winners of various contests (grav cycle racing, melee battles, etc.).

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Just wanted to say for anyone that is having trouble or doing shit with a class (like I was) after you break the lvl 6 barrier and start playing with higher level people. Spend the time to invest in all the little armor, pack and weapon upgrades. They don't seems like much but they make your job a lot easier.

I'm finally starting to actually get kills repeatedly with my infiltrator.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
I'm enjoying the game so far except that there doesn't seem to be any teamwork at all. I was just playing as a Tech and was struggling to keep the generator afloat while being harrassed by two Infiltrators and a Jugg in the reactor room. All my requests for help were ignored, so I just had to keep smashing myself against them so they wouldn't get bored and leave (might as well have the other team three men down). I suppose I could have changed class to something a bit mightier, but I've not speced in the heavy classes yet so I'm a bit reluctant to do so. Also I suck balls with the mortar.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Djinn8 said:
I'm enjoying the game so far except that there doesn't seem to be any teamwork at all.
That's my problem at the moment, it's like a mad free for all sometimes. I'm still enjoying the hell out of it though, trying to get the hang of Infiltrator.

I'm all for a little team up for anyone on the Europe - London servers (AzureSN).

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Djinn8 said:
I'm enjoying the game so far except that there doesn't seem to be any teamwork at all. I was just playing as a Tech and was struggling to keep the generator afloat while being harrassed by two Infiltrators and a Jugg in the reactor room. All my requests for help were ignored, so I just had to keep smashing myself against them so they wouldn't get bored and leave (might as well have the other team three men down). I suppose I could have changed class to something a bit mightier, but I've not speced in the heavy classes yet so I'm a bit reluctant to do so. Also I suck balls with the mortar.
Ya I was browsing the actual forums of the game and that's what most people were saying. "Pubs don't have good teamwork". They said that just practice in Pubs, but once you get the hang of it its better to move on to the custom servers where there is apparently better teamwork.

Edit: Also new patch released with 2 skins and 3 new gadgets for the raider to play with.