Tribes Ascend Released

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
i got in the beta but couldn't play it because my computer is crap and frame rate troubles in a game as fast as that can really fuck you up.great fun from what I played. I wonder if the release build is a bit better optimized.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Sangnz said:
Tribes = awesome game way ahead of its time
Tribes 2 = awesome game expanded the map sizes but slowed down the gameplay a notch
Tribes: Vengance = steaming pile of poop
Tribes: Ascend = Solid return to the tribes formula with modern day class unlocks etc
Vengeance had some neat ideas and much better physics than Ascend, but it had... uh... other issues...

I find it odd that Hi-Rez decided to "release" Ascend now. I mean, obviously the game isn't going to be "done" at any point in the foreseeable future since they're relying heavily on making new content for money, but... why now? They don't even have custom servers implemented (and their "preview" servers all have some pretty massive flaws to them).

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
The Crotch said:
Sangnz said:
Tribes = awesome game way ahead of its time
Tribes 2 = awesome game expanded the map sizes but slowed down the gameplay a notch
Tribes: Vengance = steaming pile of poop
Tribes: Ascend = Solid return to the tribes formula with modern day class unlocks etc
Vengeance had some neat ideas and much better physics than Ascend, but it had... uh... other issues...

I find it odd that Hi-Rez decided to "release" Ascend now. I mean, obviously the game isn't going to be "done" at any point in the foreseeable future since they're relying heavily on making new content for money, but... why now? They don't even have custom servers implemented (and their "preview" servers all have some pretty massive flaws to them).
If I were to venture a guess I'd say its partly due to them wanting to adopt a LoL-f2p model with regular patches that add content. That in addition, to the fact that it doesn't seem like there are any super large releases coming out right now, and they can't wait much longer or they'd enter the pre-e3 season.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
darkstone said:
It is a fun game, I've been playing since they had that free beta code for liking facebook thing a few months ago.

I'm pretty much in agreement with totalbiscuit from his wtf is video, it's just so much fun having some actual speed in an fps game these days, along with the player needing a certain amount of skill to play since the majority of the weapons aren't hitscan based.
Yea this pretty much sums up my experience. I got a beta code from gamespot a few months ago, have had a lot of fun through the updates. Game has gotten quite good.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Newbies:

Don't buy the infiltrator, to make him as good as other classes you need unattainably large amounts of XP if you don't spend any money.

The Raider comes with his best weapons out of the box, definitely consider him

Tech comes reasonably well equipped and is easy to play

SEN comes with a good weapon set but quite hard to use especially if you didn't already figure out he pretty much exclusively shoots cappers and chasers.

Brute comes with his strongest weapons, but he sucks hard as a class - very underpowered compared to the Juggernaut

Doombringer's a good noob-slayer when you get him, but if you want to be effective you're going to need to upgrade his force fields, buy the mines *75K EXP!!* upgrade the armour, chain gun, buy safety third and super heavy and upgrade those fully. If you're not willing to invest that heavily don't buy him.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Eh, played it while it was in beta.. wasn't very good in my opinion. As has been previously said, I'm not going to enjoy playing as a class I dislike for long enough to unlock others, and if I don't enjoy playing a game, what's the point?

The pricing is ludicrous, the gameplay is "Meh" at best, functional, moderately entertaining, but I don't understand how people can harp on about skill.. I played for a day or so? and was hitting top of the leader board on most matches, as far as twitch shooters go, it's mediocre, quite tedious in fact.

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
Played it for a bit today, damn that was fun. My very first spawn ended up being extremely succesfull, as I stormed across half the map and snagged the enemy flag which had just been dropped, turning around and speeding to our home base. Not knowing where to take their flag I dropped it for an experienced teammate who promptly scored a point.

The connection wasn't too great, but that may be the wireless. I'll try the cable and se if it's improved. My laptop handles is decently on low settings, which isn't all that bad-looking.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
I've been playing since Beta
I got really tired of it
the Heavy classes remain freakishly unbalanced, the special weapons cost WAY too much XP (I get that it's a F2P game, but come on!) I hate most of the maps...
I wanted it to be good
I REALLY did :(

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Just downloaded it and it's asking me for permission to install 'prerequisite programs' which makes me want to press 'no' very quickly.

Anyone actually know what this is? Google failed me and anything with such poorly worded text boxes makes me suspicious.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
flaming_squirrel said:
Just downloaded it and it's asking me for permission to install 'prerequisite programs' which makes me want to press 'no' very quickly.

Anyone actually know what this is? Google failed me and anything with such poorly worded text boxes makes me suspicious.
It's a background installer for the updates. I haven't noticed anything on my pc eating up resources or causing problems since I installed them.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Luca72 said:
flaming_squirrel said:

It's a background installer for the updates. I haven't noticed anything on my pc eating up resources or causing problems since I installed them.
Ah I see, thanks. Why they worded it in such a poor way or didnt just use an alternative method makes me wonder, but oh well.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
flaming_squirrel said:
Luca72 said:
flaming_squirrel said:

Ah I see, thanks. Why they worded it in such a poor way or didnt just use an alternative method makes me wonder, but oh well.
I think it also comes with something for Direct X, but I could be wrong and that might be a difference game I installed not too long ago.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Luca72 said:
The Crotch said:
As for the saber... it takes no skill to use, it's not much fun to go up against, and it never hits anything that wasn't going to die anyway. Hi-Rez said a while back that they were considering an anti-materiel projectile, essentially a heavier heavy bolt launcher, as a new secondary, but I'd really take anything.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I've gotten missile locked a few times, and was ready to try to shoot the thing down, but it never came. How fast/dangerous are they? I watched a tutorial that made them look pretty brutal. And if it does come to shooting them down, how are you supposed to do that if you don't have an AR or pistol? Can you dodge and weave to avoid them?
You can use terrain to block the missle which is what I usually do. Ill just ski behind a mountain or building and it'll likely blow up. If the person gets a lock and fires it, if you dont use terrain or shoot them down they will catch up, when I first started playing pathfinder (back when it was the jumper) I would be going at crazy speeds and they would still catch me. Problem is most people know how to counter the sabre launcher now. That said, I agree the Doombringer needs something new, my suggestion is something like the fusion mortor but that fires straight. Kind of like an RPG

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Windcaler said:
Luca72 said:
The Crotch said:
As for the saber... it takes no skill to use, it's not much fun to go up against, and it never hits anything that wasn't going to die anyway. Hi-Rez said a while back that they were considering an anti-materiel projectile, essentially a heavier heavy bolt launcher, as a new secondary, but I'd really take anything.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I've gotten missile locked a few times, and was ready to try to shoot the thing down, but it never came. How fast/dangerous are they? I watched a tutorial that made them look pretty brutal. And if it does come to shooting them down, how are you supposed to do that if you don't have an AR or pistol? Can you dodge and weave to avoid them?
You can use terrain to block the missle which is what I usually do. Ill just ski behind a mountain or building and it'll likely blow up. If the person gets a lock and fires it, if you dont use terrain or shoot them down they will catch up, when I first started playing pathfinder (back when it was the jumper) I would be going at crazy speeds and they would still catch me. Problem is most people know how to counter the sabre launcher now. That said, I agree the Doombringer needs something new, my suggestion is something like the fusion mortor but that fires straight. Kind of like an RPG
Ya I got the doombringer cause he seemed fun, but he doesn't have a lot of kill potential. The chain gun is hard to use on moving enemies more than 20 feet away and the missile takes a long time to lock and is very easy to avoid. I think they should allow the missile to be fired without locking, either like an RPG than or with a javelin trajectory.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Isalan said:
Played a soldier for the first couple of days, mucking about in Team DM. Was ok, but then I found my happy place, nestled between some lovely jugs. Now I'm fusion mortaring the hell outta the whole map and lovin' it :) Saying that, really got too save for new secondary, having 2 explosive weapons when your being chased down in deathmatch is a pain the ass.

Gonna have to crack on and give CTF a try tomorrow. Anyone on the EU side feel free to add me, handle is Morninglord.
I'm in EU and I'm probably going to hate you :( Jugs seem to be my nemesis as a Soldier. If it's good terrain and they're in their initial loud-out I can often beat them, but if they have the LMG and they're slightly competent then I have no chance.

Anyways, I have about 15k right now, and I should be able to get to 18k tomorrow for a new perk. I'm very much tempted by Quick Draw, as I switch a lot between the Rifle and Thumper and there's been a great many times when I've been split seconds too late for a shot due to the switch. Is this a recommended perk for a Soldier or should I be looking at something else? I'm thinking maybe Safety Third for the primary eventually (I'll go for the utility pack before a second perk) since I'm going with the Frags and the increased AoE should tie in nicely. Sound good? Any pros commenting?

Captcha: smoking guns

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
WoW Killer said:
Isalan said:
Played a soldier for the first couple of days, mucking about in Team DM. Was ok, but then I found my happy place, nestled between some lovely jugs. Now I'm fusion mortaring the hell outta the whole map and lovin' it :) Saying that, really got too save for new secondary, having 2 explosive weapons when your being chased down in deathmatch is a pain the ass.

Gonna have to crack on and give CTF a try tomorrow. Anyone on the EU side feel free to add me, handle is Morninglord.
I'm in EU and I'm probably going to hate you :( Jugs seem to be my nemesis as a Soldier. If it's good terrain and they're in their initial loud-out I can often beat them, but if they have the LMG and they're slightly competent then I have no chance.

Anyways, I have about 15k right now, and I should be able to get to 18k tomorrow for a new perk. I'm very much tempted by Quick Draw, as I switch a lot between the Rifle and Thumper and there's been a great many times when I've been split seconds too late for a shot due to the switch. Is this a recommended perk for a Soldier or should I be looking at something else? I'm thinking maybe Safety Third for the primary eventually (I'll go for the utility pack before a second perk) since I'm going with the Frags and the increased AoE should tie in nicely. Sound good? Any pros commenting?

I don't know much about perks, haven't really bought any yet, but I can say that the utility pack is essentially just a better version of the base pack. You get the same stuff and more by going utility (at least when its not upgraded yet).

Edit: Also I got the raider. That's a really fun class, but I'm not sure on perks for it so if anyone has any guides or suggestions I'm open to them.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Potential energy is a good perk for raiders who run with the shield pack, especially indoors. Some people use an ultra capacitor along with it. Or survivalist (get energy and health from ammo nuggets).

EDIT: And yeah, quick draw is a very good perk (to the point that a lot of people are hoping that it gets removed and everyone just gets increased weapon swaps and reloads across the board), and it works well for classes like the soldier and the brute.

For classes like the doombringer... not so much.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
The Crotch said:
Potential energy is a good perk for raiders who run with the shield pack, especially indoors. Some people use an ultra capacitor along with it. Or survivalist (get energy and health from ammo nuggets).

EDIT: And yeah, quick draw is a very good perk (to the point that a lot of people are hoping that it gets removed and everyone just gets increased weapon swaps and reloads across the board), and it works well for classes like the soldier and the brute.

For classes like the doombringer... not so much.
I don't think anything works for doombringer. That classes is really underpowered.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
WoW Killer said:
Isalan said:

I wouldnt call myself a pro but for soldier I like setting myself up with the Spinfusor, eagle pistol, Utility pack, Ap grenades, Safety third primary perk, and survivalist secondary perk. This helps me fill a variety of roles and stay in the thick of a fight as long as Im killing people.

Quick draw for the soldier has its use but I think there are just better perks for them. For me, I rarely have to switch between weapons because my spinfusor usually finishes the guys off before I have to switch. If you're switching a lot then yeah it might be more useful then I consider it but again, I think there are better perks

The only classes Ive played (which is everything except brute and sentinal) where I think quick draw would be useful are Juggernaught and infiltrator but I would still pick other perks over it