Tribes: Ascend Review

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
poiumty said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
It's all very simple logic. Less players actively defending the flag means less people in the way of your team capping. I don't know how you don't understand this. I'm not saying everyone should be running for the gen, that's ridiculous and goes completely counter to what I said about Player-Advantage.
That may be true in competitive, organized games, but it doesn't apply much in random pubs which is what most of us are playing. It's entirely possible for you to do everything your class does well (destroy turrets, sensors, the generator, shell the flag stand for example) but still lose because there's no good pathfinders on your team. That's when you feel you would've done better at least trying to play PTH or defense and generally feel useless.
There's no strategy in pubs for any game. So complaining about a lack of strategic play in pubs for a specific game is pointless, it's a given.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
poiumty said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
There's no strategy in pubs for any game. So complaining about a lack of strategic play in pubs for a specific game is pointless, it's a given.
I'm not complaining. The argument was about the feel of usefulness doing the game's various objectives when compared to other games.
Which is really well done, when playing with good players. Other FPS'(s?) in similar circumstances don't do nearly as well at making a role tangentially related to getting an objective done feel rewarding. In pubs, however, there's nothing to compare with other games because they're all uniform in that respect.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Slycne said:
NightHawk21 said:
God do I hate the Jackal. As the review it was pretty good. Just wondering how did you do that melee attack? I haven't seen that one before.
The Assassin skin either has a custom animation or it's part of a fully unlocked Close Combat perk, hence how I was able to one-shot mediums.
No I have close combat and I have the standard melee attacks I think. So its probably part of the skins which is very neat, and I'm glad they did that.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Yeah, that's the assassin's melee attack (I think the mercenary has the exact same attack, too). It's irritating, 'cause it's a lot quieter than the regular melee attack.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Lumber Barber said:
Sucks that it's completely shameless pay2win though.
Which is exactly what it isn't, if you've been paying attention. I regularly top the charts, and I haven't payed a scent nor played any of the other previous tribes games.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
Lumber Barber said:
What are you talking about?

You can unlock everything with XP bar cosmetic skins, it's easy to do it as well.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Lumber Barber said:

You sir are a disgrace to the International Fraternity of Lumber Barbers. I'm afraid I must insist that you return your axe and comb to your chapter head immediately.

harpst3r

I'm Commander Shepard, and...
Sep 23, 2011
Three words: BLUE PLATE SPECIAL

Serve 'em up day and night.

PLAY THIS GAME and you will not be dissapoint.

Use my referral link :) http://goo.gl/Cdp2F

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Lumber Barber said:
The Crotch said:
Lumber Barber said:

You sir are a disgrace to the International Fraternity of Lumber Barbers. I'm afraid I must insist that you return your axe and comb to your chapter head immediately.
Senarrius said:
Lumber Barber said:
What are you talking about?

You can unlock everything with XP bar cosmetic skins, it's easy to do it as well.
Excludos said:
Lumber Barber said:
Which is exactly what it isn't, if you've been paying attention. I regularly top the charts, and I haven't payed a scent nor played any of the other previous tribes games.

doesn't it take a ridiculous amount of XP points to unlock most items?
Classes and upgrades are cheap (and upgrades can only be purchased with EXP, not money, though you can use money to buy a booster to temporarilty increase EXP gains). Weapons are varying degrees of expensive (something like the soldier's eagle pistol is pretty easy to get, but the technician's thumper will take quite some time). Most of the weapons aren't really "better", though; they simply make the class better at a certain niche (exceptions exist, of course). Most technicians prefer to use the unlockable thumper because they like fighting indoors and the impact explosive works better there than their SMG, but the SMG is still a total beast and makes them awesome for supporting the HoF on the flag stand. Chasing/light defence pathfinders often favour the unlockable bolt launcher or its higher damage, but capping pathfinders who use their own weapons for rocket jumps usually stick to the default spinfusor to increase their survivability.

I've spent zero dollars and my doombringer doesn't suffer any for it. Made sure to unlock those land mines first thing, though. Doombringer grenades are turrrrrible.

And regardless of both EXP cost and strength of unlockable items, "pay to win" means that there are items locked behind a pay-wall. The only things that applies to in Ascend are skins.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
Lumber Barber said:
No it does not, only some replacement primary weapons cost a lot, 100k each. Classes and everything else is extremely easy to get.

There's also no point in going for a 100k weapon if you haven't played all the classes to know just which one you're exceptionally good at.

As a result you can have a nearly fully upgraded Technician class, and then decide to unlock the Thumper, which is a projectile explosive weapon, which replaces the sub machine gun.

It's not essential to the class but gives you rhe chance to play it a tad differently.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Heh. The patch they're introducing tomorrow looks pretty not-good, though.

Two offence-oriented updates in a row? Whole bunch of new stuff for one of the best classes in the game? Awwww yeah.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
wow, it's like somebody looked at tribes, looked the tf2 surf maps, and decided the world needed a little more awesome in it.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Lumber Barber said:
To unlock new items it takes a lot yes. T upgrade anything, it takes barely any xp at all. And 99% of the items you can buy are just there for customization, they are actually balanced very well. The only unbalanced pay to win gun right now is the Plasma gun, but that got released yesterday, so it'll be patched soon.

TO be honest Tribes is possibly one of the better cases of free to play. They provide a decent amount of good content when you start, offer free gold if you like their FB page, and you can get a ton of free XP for inviting friends. Essentially the free gold you get from just liking their page, will unlock you a new class or a new perk entirely for free. Its actually balanced very well.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Don't spend that free gold on a new perk or class; the gold:exp ratios are terrible on those. Spend the free gold on a weapon. Much more efficient.