Tribes: Ascend Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Tribes: Ascend Review

Tribes: Ascend manages to exist at the seemingly impossible intersection of nostalgia and freshness.

Read Full Article

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
DVS BSTrD said:
Just wondering, how many of the classes are actually unlock-able?
There are 9 classes in total, and the actually unlocking of new classes are some of the cheaper things.

Edit - yes, in case that was confusing. You start with 3 classes which covers you pretty well, one from each of the light, medium and heavy, and there are 6 others to unlock. Everything can be unlocked with in-game earned experience points, so buying gold with real money is never required.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
I think I might check this one out while waiting for D3. I also liked Hi-rez's last game, Global Agenda.
DVS BSTrD said:
9 classes total, including the 3 free classes -> 6 unlockable classes.
Edit: semi-ninja'd

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Assuming you mean without money, all of them. Itll take you a bit of finger grease, but im sure youll make it eventually.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Yeah, but can it compete with TF2? (or brink, but we never talk a out brink)

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
cahtush said:
As a pathfinder, that flagcap was painfull to watch.
Heh, what's wrong with my slow as molasses Infiltrator cap? I'm pretty sure I ran that one back too, which probably says more about the disorganized enemy then my own skill.

I think I just didn't record any that night or Paul didn't find any of the better flag caps when he was editing the video.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
ResonanceSD said:
Well, vehicular combat, jetpacks, base upgrading and support powers tells us its not just trying to be TF2. Unlike Brink.

And Brink is not worth mentioning. If Brink couldnt compare to TF2 how could it stand a chance against something like this?

Considering all the freeware class-based multiplayer shooters coming out i think its time we seriously considered whether TF2 has finally passed it or not. It is almost 5 years old, and with this and Firefall emerging i could see a real chance of TF2 players leaving for either.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Ive been playing since the closed beta and I love this game. The speed is great, even heavy classes can go 150 kph without too much of a problem. The Raider class is my current favorite, grenade launcher, perked for extra belt grenades (Safety Third) and reduced self damage (Egocentric). Great for clearing out my teams base or wrecking havoc in the enemies.

Sourman

Mar 25, 2012
Been playing for a while now and I just want to say that it's a great game. The sense of speed you get playing as a Pathfinder can't be beat, and the sense of power you get when playing as a Doombringer also can't be beat. It's a great game that can make you love both extremes of mobility and power :)

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
ResonanceSD said:
Yes. Yes it is.

Basically, it comes down to this:

It's a very different style of game, and I find it far more enjoyable. If you can get the hang of the movement mechanics, it becomes the best multiplayer shooter of the last decade IMO.

Daemascus said:
Ive been playing since the closed beta and I love this game. The speed is great, even heavy classes can go 150 kph without too much of a problem. The Raider class is my current favorite, grenade launcher, perked for extra belt grenades (Safety Third) and reduced self damage (Egocentric). Great for clearing out my teams base or wrecking havoc in the enemies.
I play Raider as my primary class too, but I've found ultra-capacitor to be more useful than Safety Third. I don't use more than 2 grenades in a fight generally and the extra maneuverability is awesome. That may be because I use white-outs over EMP grenades though.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
gigastar said:
ResonanceSD said:
Well, vehicular combat, jetpacks, base upgrading and support powers tells us its not just trying to be TF2. Unlike Brink.

And Brink is not worth mentioning. If Brink couldnt compare to TF2 how could it stand a chance against something like this?

Considering all the freeware class-based multiplayer shooters coming out i think its time we seriously considered whether TF2 has finally passed it or not. It is almost 5 years old, and with this and Firefall emerging i could see a real chance of TF2 players leaving for either.
Firefall has no aussie servers, this looks to be short-lived. I'm sticking to what I kniw is good :D

rabidkanid

Mar 26, 2008
So is this going to be like all the other Tribes games where it comes out and everyone says it's the best thing ever, then immediately never hear about it again because it has inherit gameplay issues that nobody talks about?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
ResonanceSD said:
Firefall has no aussie servers, this looks to be short-lived. I'm sticking to what I kniw is good :D
Think about it this way: Tribes is entirely free to play. It costs you literally nothing but some harddrive space to download the game and play it.

Then you can decide if you like it or not.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
rabidkanid said:
So is this going to be like all the other Tribes games where it comes out and everyone says it's the best thing ever, then immediately never hear about it again because it has inherit gameplay issues that nobody talks about?
What gameplay issues? I haven't noticed anything obviously broken yet, and I never played the old ones, so I'm kinda curious what you're getting at.

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
I've been playing since January during the beta. I'd dabbled in all of the classes, but I settled into my favorite role, Juggernaut.

I use the Mortar, spinfusor, throwing discs(grenade slot)
My perks are Survivalist(get health and energy from ammo drops) and The one(forget what its called) which increases ammo from ammo drops too. Its important because I rely on those throwing dics as a primary weapon during duels, they shoot much faster than the spinfusor and do more damage. With the perk, you can hold up to 4 at once and recover 2 from each ammo drop.

rabidkanid

Mar 26, 2008
I tried 1 or 2 of the older titles and had problems with them having to do with the weaponry choice and never really getting the skiing to work properly, but I'm not really going to list them out and explain them since I know if I do I'll just get flamed for having a different opinion.

The fact of the matter is though that there is a consistent pattern with this series where you have a few very adamant fans claiming that the series is better than Halo or whatever after a new game in the series comes out, people are talking about it for like a week, then it quickly fades into obscurity, and everyone goes back to playing Battlefield or Call of Duty or something and you never hear a peep from them anywhere.