True facts you can't get yourself to believe

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Let's hear it.

What hard-proven facts do YOU find incredibly unbelievable?

To start us off, $60 games are 399 NOK here in Norway. Fresh PS3 games are 599, which is $104. Just as bad as Australia.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Jennifer hale played Cinderella in the seaquels...

.....no fucking way

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
When I was first taught about general relativity I found it hard to believe. I mean, come on, simply by being in low-gravity you age faster and time just general moves quicker?
But it's true, as it turns out. They have to reset the ATOMIC CLOCKS (super accurate clocks) on satellites every day, lest GPS be miles and miles off.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I was going to say the whole "we eat spiders a few times a year when we are asleep" but I pretty sure that is not concrete true fact.
So I guess I go with Pluto is in fact a planet! I just feel that denining it's a planet at all, it's a like a big screw you to the Greek who discover it in the first place and Hades himself.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
I just feel that denining it's a planet at all, it's a like a big screw you to the Greek who discover it in the first place and Hades himself.
The Greek who discover it? Erm, what?

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
Someone looked at he Twilight books and though "they will make GREAT movies", followed immediately by, "Twilight actually did make really successful movies"

o_O

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Super position. How can something be in more than one place at the same time? And how does observation change where it is? Are the particles camera shy or something? I just can't wrap my head around it.

uhddh said:
Pluto is a planet god damn it.
Also this. As far as I'm concerned if a body which orbits a star has enough mass for it to be spherical it should be a planet. If that means there's suddenly a hundred planets in our solar system then so be it, why not? I don't see any reason why that definition is insufficient.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
Popadoo said:
When I was first taught about general relativity I found it hard to believe. I mean, come on, simply by being in low-gravity you age faster and time just general moves quicker?
But it's true, as it turns out. They have to reset the ATOMIC CLOCKS (super accurate clocks) on satellites every day, lest GPS be miles and miles off.
It could be so hard to believe because general relativity isnt true. At least certain aspects you have to use special relativity to get a sensible answer. If we ever get one theory that actually works for everything it may well be a whole lot easier to understnad.

Also, the actually US GPS system, I dont know about GLONASS, GNSS or future Galileo, Compass or IRNSS systems, but I suspect they are the same, you don't actually alter the clock on the satellites (I misspelt this as satalites and auto correct has suggest to me Australites, Natality, Satanism and Satanist.....Go go autocorrect...) they check them individually against known location ground station and then work out the time error based on the error in position, the satalite then as part of the ping it sends out of its position says "I have an error of this" which the handheld devices then compensate for.

Also, I'm fairly sure the standard theory for the loss of time is due to the speed they are travelling relative to the earth is that much greater and the closer you get to the speed of light the slower you age (Though this could just be the special theory of relativity). The actual loss of time per day for satellites is negligible but it does become significant over time. For one day however the inaccuracies generated by the bending of the signal path as it travels through the atmosphere is significantly greater. Compensating for this bending is one of the biggest problems in satellite navigation as the difference it can make is huge.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
Talshere said:
Popadoo said:
It could be so hard to believe because general relativity isnt true. At least certain aspects you have to use special relativity to get a sensible answer. If we ever get one theory that actually works for everything it may well be a whole lot easier to understnad.

Also, the actually US GPS system, I dont know about GLONASS, GNSS or future Galileo, Compass or IRNSS systems, but I suspect they are the same, you don't actually alter the clock on the satellites (I misspelt this as satalites and auto correct has suggest to me Australites, Natality, Satanism and Satanist.....Go go autocorrect...) they check them individually against known location ground station and then work out the time error based on the error in position, the satalite then as part of the ping it sends out of its position says "I have an error of this" which the handheld devices then compensate for.

Also, I'm fairly sure the standard theory for the loss of time is due to the speed they are travelling relative to the earth is that much greater and the closer you get to the speed of light the slower you age (Though this could just be the special theory of relativity). The actual loss of time per day for satellites is negligible but it does become significant over time. For one day however the inaccuracies generated by the bending of the signal path as it travels through the atmosphere is significantly greater. Compensating for this bending is one of the biggest problems in satellite navigation as the difference it can make is huge.
They don't lose time, the clocks actually SPEED UP when orbiting the Earth. Yeah, their high speeds will make their clocks slow down too, but the effect gravity has on time is much greater than the effect speed has on time.
When they first developed satellites they didn't believe simply being high up, away from stronger gravitational pull, would effect them. Within MINUTES the satellite was so far off GPS would mark you miles from your position. Granted, it's literally hundredth of a millisecond difference, but when you're trying to triangulate say, a phone out of anywhere on the whole EARTH, it makes the difference.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
Popadoo said:
Talshere said:
Popadoo said:

They don't lose time, the clocks actually SPEED UP when orbiting the Earth. Yeah, their high speeds will make their clocks slow down too, but the effect gravity has on time is much greater than the effect speed has on time.
When they first developed satellites they didn't believe simply being high up, away from stronger gravitational pull, would effect them. Within MINUTES the satellite was so far off GPS would mark you miles from your position. Granted, it's literally hundredth of a millisecond difference, but when you're trying to triangulate say, a phone out of anywhere on the whole EARTH, it makes the difference.
Not a huge one since you require minimum 4 satellites to take a position. 3 for a position in space, this actually gives 2 positions but the second will be nonsensical like a few thousand miles off the earth or in the earth's mantle and a 4th which does correct for time error. On a bad day most handhelds can take 6 sources.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
That there are people who think that the holocaust never happened, I mean the level of ignorance is just astounding!