Trump assassination attempt

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Sure, Silvanus. Sure.
Oh, for goodness' sake: read the rest of that post you snipped. You're taking one of a half dozen examples, reducing the argument to that, and then demanding we have the conversation on those terms alone while ignoring the wider point. That's why it's a reductionist strawman. Probably because you know you've already been given a dozen examples that fit the wider point perfectly well, and you'd prefer to ignore them.

But, if it'll help you get past this: "staying in the kitchen" is a shorthand for the notion that women are uniquely and best suited for domesticity, and ill suited to other pursuits. So your prime direct example would be Lauren Southern.

Last edited:

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
He didn't say that about women who haven't given birth. He said that about Democratic politicians (including at least one man).
For once, I have to admit you're right. It was about childless democrats in federal government not about women that haven't given birth. And he did include Pete Buttigieg in his list of examples (the only example he used that wasn't a woman). But it's weird to consider Harris an example unless you don't count stepkids, so...

Reactions: tstorm823

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
For once, I have to admit you're right. It was about childless democrats in federal government not about women that haven't given birth. And he did include Pete Buttigieg in his list of examples (the only example he used that wasn't a woman).
So his sole male example for "childless cat lady" was the high prominence gay guy?

I think it's pretty obvious he's intending to appeal to denigrating stereotypes regardless.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
So his sole male example for "childless cat lady" was the high prominence gay guy?

I think it's pretty obvious he's intending to appeal to denigrating stereotypes regardless.
Out of three examples. It's not like he named off a litany of childless Democrat women in government and then added the first gay guy he could think of at the end to pretend he wasn't only talking about women. He named three, and Pete was the middle one (between Harris and AOC). Technically Pete was the first name he gave that actually didn't have kids.

My point there was that he didn't say anything about giving birth, at all. But rather having children. It sets a different tone to what was said, specifically on whether or not you can assign it a "women's purpose in life is to birth babies" slant or not. And pushing that slant is the core of the media angle on it.

Also the many GOP cis male politicians he presumably supports - none of them are giving birth, either. But most have children. Do they belong in the "childless cat lady" box as well?

I remain curious whether he thinks stepkids don't count or if he just forgot about/ignored Harris' family since his other examples actually don't have children, step or otherwise.

Also I'm now curious how many members of congress have no children and what the party distribution for that is.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So I watched snippets of the hearing in which they grilled the SEcret Service head about the complete breakdown of security and it was the typical thing of non-answers, and denial.

And now she has been forced to step down because of course she needed to. Regardless her agency majorly failed here, and whether it was on purpose or not is anyone's theory, as a result she should be fired for a clear lack of proper department leadership. And total incapability of even answering questions.

Although some of the questions they asked were over classified lines, at least for now, and shouldn't be answered. Though there were plenty of questions asked that the director of the SS should have answered and didn't, including taking responsibility for the failure. Which she now has been forced to in stepping down so....

Interesting little trial to watch though.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So I watched snippets of the hearing in which they grilled the CIA head about the complete breakdown of security and it was the typical thing of non-answers, and denial.

And now she has been forced to step down because of course she needed to. Regardless her agency majorly failed here, and whether it was on purpose or not is anyone's theory, as a result she should be fired for a clear lack of proper department leadership. And total incapability of even answering questions.

Although some of the questions they asked were over classified lines, at least for now, and shouldn't be answered. Though there were plenty of questions asked that the director of the CIA should have answered and didn't, including taking responsibility for the failure. Which she now has been forced to in stepping down so....

Interesting little trial to watch though.
What does the CIA have to do with the attempted assassination of Trump?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Not a fucking thing. I mistyped. My bad.
That's what I figured, but I thought maybe there was some other hearing that took place that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for the clarification.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That's what I figured, but I thought maybe there was some other hearing that took place that I wasn't aware of. Thanks for the clarification.
It's because I was remembering the hearing and the director spent a lot of time pointing fingers at other agencies and I just brain farted.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
But, if it'll help you get past this: "staying in the kitchen" is a shorthand for the notion that women are uniquely and best suited for domesticity, and ill suited to other pursuits.
Then I amend my question: Do you have any examples of a conservative saying women are ill-suited outside of domesticity?
Also the many GOP cis male politicians he presumably supports - none of them are giving birth, either. But most have children. Do they belong in the "childless cat lady" box as well?

I remain curious whether he thinks stepkids don't count or if he just forgot about/ignored Harris' family since his other examples actually don't have children, step or otherwise.
I can only speculate about his intentions, I cannot speak for the man, but there could potentially be a logic to counting men with children but not anyone with step-children, as the angle he was going for was "people with no personal stake in the future". It's not a logic or angle I would support, it's pretty low to suggest that step-parents or adoptive parents have no stake in their children's future, but it is a different low than denigrating specifically women for not giving birth.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
But it's weird to consider Harris an example unless you don't count stepkids, so...
Silly goose, Harris' jobs are her kids!

She had sex with Willie Brown, and nine months later she had a pair of bouncing baby six-figure, high-prestige, no-work no-shows!

Reactions: tstorm823

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Then I amend my question: Do you have any examples of a conservative saying women are ill-suited outside of domesticity?
But, if it'll help you get past this: "staying in the kitchen" is a shorthand for the notion that women are uniquely and best suited for domesticity, and ill suited to other pursuits. So your prime direct example would be Lauren Southern.
You need to finish reading the paragraph.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Might that comment be social commentary, rather than a statement of intrinsic characteristics? If someone you thought highly of said "women aren't being developed to be CEOs", would you interpret that sentence the same way you are now?
Given that she was a "Tradwife" influencer, who made videos about how much happier women would be if they embraced domesticity and submission, no, that's not a credible interpretation.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Given that she was a "Tradwife" influencer, who made videos about how much happier women would be if they embraced domesticity and submission, no, that's not a credible interpretation.
Are you not still reading a ton of unsaid baggage into this?

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Might that comment be social commentary, rather than a statement of intrinsic characteristics? If someone you thought highly of said "women aren't being developed to be CEOs", would you interpret that sentence the same way you are now?
I would suggest the best way to do that is to look at wider, supporting evidence.

For instance, you could consider whether that person advocates for programmes to help develop girls' / women's leadership capabilities or not. If they do not, it makes it much more likely that they are arguing towards submissiveness being inherently female than that submissiveness is inculcated in women by the way society operates.

Regarding the evidence of the source being into "tradwife", I think a reasonable person would argue that's relevant supporting evidence for the former.