Trying to drink myself into oblivion.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Try hot cocoa. I don't think you can drink yourself into oblivion with it, but...fucking hot cocoa.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
If you are not in my neck of the woods where true moonshine still exists, go for the next best thing.

NO NO NO! The real deal

Why waste time with anything else? 15 Bucks how could you go wrong?

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
You want a fancy ride? Get yourself a bottle of absynth and start drinking. No worries you won't empty the bottle, you'll fade out way before and the green faerie is takin' you to funland.

It's recommended to inform at least 1 person of this so they can get you when you're doing something stupid.

Last time i drank Absynth i had a 13 hour blackout, nearly a fight with a guy double my size and proposed to a girl i apparently knew for ~2 hours.
So jeah, good times, fun times.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Hows about no alcohol. Pick out some good songs to get yourself pumped and start a workout routine. If only to just pass the time, or to help you feel better about yourself. It'll help. If it's not, you're not working hard enough. Do crunches, squats (1 and two legged) push ups, bicycle kicks, go jogging and do some pull ups if possible. That's what I'm doing currently.

Alcohol is a depressant for a reason. Sometimes I've drank when depressed. It doesn't help. Focusing on something else to fill the time does, and a good workout just happens to be really positive. Releasing all them feel good chemicals and making you look better in the process.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Mix one one part lemon flavoring, three parts drink of choice, and a splash of water. Drink while doing stuff. Here is a suggestion.

• Snort a line of coke off of the highest horizontal surface you can find. If you're looking to be a bit adventurous, go to a public restroom and snort it off of the stainless steel handbars that are freaking everywhere. A countertop works fine. If you don't have coke, do pop rocks or crushed Smarties.

Put a layer of wood stain over your deck, because you've been meaning to do that for a while.

Maybe make yourself a microwave pizza. Or not. I don't know, food slows your drunk mojo, so I guess it depends on when you last ate.

Try playing a didgeridoo, because why the fuck not.

Put bleach, water, and drain cleaner in three similar glasses, seal it so you don't know contents. Switch the three around, pour your lucky guess's ingredient into your drink. No cheating.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Orbot_Vectorman said:
Hello fellow Escapist's how are you all doing?

I'm feeling a bit down and I'm looking to drink enough alcohol to send myself into oblivion. So does anyone out here have any suggestions to help me along that path?

[Edit] Also, any sad/ depressing songs will do nicely. thank you.
Go to an AA meeting.

/should probably listen to that advice myself...

EDIT: Do not listen to anyone else in this thread. Save the ones telling you not to drink.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Gatx said:
Orbot_Vectorman said:
Hello fellow Escapist's how are you all doing?

I'm feeling a bit down and I'm looking to drink enough alcohol to send myself into oblivion. So does anyone out here have any suggestions to help me along that path?

[Edit] Also, any sad/ depressing songs will do nicely. thank you.
What helps me out is the idea that in the grand scheme of things nothing you do will have any meaning. It won't even be a footnote in the history of the human race (most likely), and the history of the human race won't matter in the ever expanding universe.

Now, with that knowledge you can think "then what's the point in trying to do anything?" but it also works to lessen the sting of failure a bit and helps you feel better about yourself, and from there you can pick yourself back up again.
I've been tip-toeing that line for quite some time, and even though I can rationally think about all the sadness and loneliness I feel and know that there's no reason to think that way, I still get sucked back in.

So, OP, get some strong liquor (something sweet would be my pick), a friend and 2-3 hours of his/her time. Never drink alone!

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Orbot_Vectorman said:
Don't drink.. seriously, it's the absolute worst way to deal with your problems.

Alcohol doesn't calm you down. People feel like it calms them down because they lose their inhibitions and get numbed out for a few hours, but actually alcohol exaggerates your emotions. If you drink when you feel sad, you will not gain a new perspective on the situation, you will not come to terms with it and feel more relaxed about it, it will just make you feel more miserable.

Furthermore, when you get up the next day, none of the things you thought you were dealing with will have gone. In fact, they'll seem worse because a) you pissed an evening away instead of cognitively dealing with them and b) you'll feel wretched anyway because you've been drinking.

Finally, drinking while in a bad mood is a really good way to do stupid things and alienate people.

I'm probably being alarmist, it's hard not to be because I have to spend a large chunk of my life trying to care for someone who started out feeling a lot like you and is now alcohol dependent (that's the point where your body physically needs alcohol and withdrawal becomes so brutal it can kill you, seriously, alcohol is worse than heroin in that regard), but I feel I need to give this advice anyway because I've also been there myself. Drinking doesn't help, at best it defers your feeling bad for a few hours. If you just face up to it and let yourself feel bad it will go away in time (if it doesn't, then you need to see a doctor because you have clinical depression).

Everyone has things go wrong in their life. Trust me, as this post has already probably hinted, my life isn't exactly fun and games either. In fact, I don't think many people ever feel like they're doing particularly well in life, and those who do tend to be shallow cunts. What defines functioning people is not that they have happy lives, but that when their lives aren't particularly great they focus on the things they can control, they work to make their lives better rather than wallowing in misery about the bits which are always going to be shit anyway.

I'm not great at doing that myself, but I've found it's worth trying. Make of that what you will.

Seriously, get a friend to come round. Buy a bottle of wine or something equivalent and just drink slowly through it over the course of an evening so that you stay in the nice alcohol buzz stage for as long as possible. It will loosen you up and make it easier to talk about whatever's bothering you, and then when you wake up next day you won't feel so horrible because you'll have actually done something to help yourself beyond blacking out and vomiting.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
No, you can't listen to depressing songs! Listen to happy songs when you're drinking. Here, have a happy hardcore song from the 90s by some wacky German EDM group with a music video that will make you double take while you're inebriated.

My work here is done.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Forget everyone who said don't drink. What they really should be saying is don't drink alone. I dropped out of uni this year, its my second year and I get nothing except debt. However, I've been told I need to move out which means I had to drop uni and get a job so I could. It sucks, but drinking with friends really helps put it in perspective. Life goes on, you'll get better, most people don't really get into their careers and life until they hit 27 in the UK now, which is insane and against what everyone tells eachother.

Just avoid those "friends" who will call you stupid for feeling shitty. Those aren't helping.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Well, I could tell you to just cheer up mate, but I have no idea what you're going through. Had something similar (think everyone does really) but doesn't mean it sucks any less for ya.

As to the drinking to oblivion part, I suggest Red Press Whiskey. Whiskey is just the sad man's drink.

As to sad songs, Mad World is I think the default song for most.

holographicman

Oct 6, 2009
sorry your having a shit day man hope you feel better in the morning
songs: the gorillaz - starshine, broken, and tommorow comes today

if your gonna drink, might as well put in your favorite vidya game or film and make up a drinking game

but be careful man dont go an poison yourself

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Fucking hell, the guy said he wants to get drunk while listening to sad music, so why are so many posts not about that? Do you seriously think there is anyone in the world who doesn't know that getting wasted isn't going to solve their problems? And why bring African children into it? Like there's going to be some kid in Africa dying of dysentery, just shitting and shitting, thinking "I really hope no one in the west feels unhappy with themselves." Just give the guy a drink or a song, and keep your moralising and bad advice to yourself.

I personally prefer cheap scotch.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
manic_depressive13 said:
Fucking hell, the guy said he wants to get drunk while listening to sad music, so why are so many posts not about that? Do you seriously think there is anyone in the world who doesn't know that getting wasted isn't going to solve their problems?
Unfortunately, not all of us have the luxury of believing otherwise.

That said, I don't think OP believes that drinking will solve his problems. I don't think you do either, and frankly neither do I. People who are drinking because they believe it makes them feel better don't listen to sad music when they do it, they overcompensate and constantly trying to act like they're having the best time ever and it's really fun until something goes wrong and they just collapse. I think on some level both you and the OP know that drinking will make you feel worse and are nonetheless cultivating feelings of unhappiness.

I'm well aware that when you're really unhappy there's a kind of self-annihilation drive where you just want to go lower and lower and lower, perhaps because you feel you deserve it, or perhaps because you enjoy the feeling of sympathy it provokes in other people, and I get that to a degree. The ability to find a kind of happiness in the state of being sad is something I personally don't think I could physically survive without, but in my experience it only works if you can make it something liberating, something which brings about acceptance and ultimately reconciles you to the things that are making you sad, otherwise you're creating problems for yourself just so you can make a big show of how hard they are, and who the fuck cares about that?

Sorry, I know this is really harsh, but I'll freely admit I have a massive personal investment in this topic so I probably can't speak with any kind of detachment and rationality. Apologies for that.

Sad music though.. Well, someone already got Joy Division, so we may as well hit the obvious..

Personally though..

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
If you're going to drink, go for sake, it's stronger then most liquor.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
evilthecat said:
I don't think you were harsh. You're right, but then there are some things you can't say without sounding smug, even when you're right.

I'm also personally invested as you've so astutely recognised, and in my experience it's usually the best intentioned people who have the capacity to make you feel the worst. Most people are just really shit at comforting others, especially people they don't know well. It just reinforces the miserable person's sense of being misunderstood, while adding to an extreme feeling of guilt. Because even though you know the person who is trying to console you doesn't give a crap about you, and is merely firing off the same trite and often insensitive phrases, you still feel like a scumbag for feeling so irritated towards someone who is only trying to make you feel better.

Sometimes you have to accept there's nothing you can do. Unless you're willing to give up your time and energy demonstrating to someone that they're not alone, and not worthless, don't waste your time lecturing them. I honestly think that has the capacity to cause more harm than good.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Make sure to watch out for daedroths.

Every time I go to oblivion I just get absolutely wrecked by those daedroth things. Most of the time I can just sprint through like a madman and grab the gatestone, but those daedroths take up he entire bloody hallway in those underground segments, there's no getting past them!

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I would be careful that you do not kill yourself. A lot of suicide's happen under the influence. My own friend killed himself while drunk.
If you want to go to Oblivion just launch the game from Steam or put the disc in your xbox.