TSA told to act like sexual predators

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
ReservoirAngel said:
Am I stupid for not getting why all this shitstorm about the TSA seems to have sprouted up from nowhere within the past week or so? Bear in mind I'm not American and have no interest in the workings of said country.
Because it's all new in the last couple weeks.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Father Time said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Father Time said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
It's not the best thing to say, but if it gets the children to shut up, be patted down and onto the plane quicker and with less hassle then it's fine. To be honest, the parent should be able to tell the child to let these people do their job so they don't have to resort to this crap.

Personally, I think everyone complaining about being searched should just quit their bitching. It's an airport, you're searched to stop you blowing up the plane - sure, you're not going to but they don't know that and they need to make sure. These searches take 5 minutes maximum and won't delay your flight at all.
Wow I never realized it didn't take a long time, I guess it's OK for them to use these unnecessary molestations then and I'm just being angry over nothing. I mean after all it takes less than 5 minutes, nothing bad ever happens in less than 5 minutes.
It's not missing the point. It's spot on. You're complaining about a basic pat down that everyone else who flies lives with and doesn't complain
Ad populum.

Cpt_Oblivious said:
- it's just a part of airline travel.
So? It's still a disgusting thing that they're doing. Telling me to just put up with it because it's there is stupid.

Cpt_Oblivious said:
Don't like it? Don't fucking fly anywhere.
Again, you paranoid folks who are OK with with being sexually assaulted in the name of security shouldn't fly. I'll keep my liberties and my dignity and remain with the low odds of being attacked on the plane.

And hey it's not like I can't try to put pressure on the airlines and the government to change policy.
It's not sexual assault. It's being patted down. Nothing disgusting about that, you'd let the police do it, wouldn't you? Why not these people. They're essentially the same - trained people, doing their job.

And understanding this makes me paranoid? No. You, the one who thinks that anyone even so much as touching you as part of their profession is sexual assault, are paranoid.

And how do you think the odds of being attacked on the plan are low? Well, i's partly because of these security measures.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Julianking93 said:
Do they not realize that's exactly what a child molester would say?

Did that not even cross their minds? At all??

This is really just one more thing on the list of reasons why I need to move.
If you don't mind a grown man touch your crotch...

OT: It would be easier to state that they were checking for any "problems" than making it out like they are perverts.

Erecting a Sentry

Oct 17, 2010
Ekonk said:
Alright ladies, put down your tinfoil hats. Seriously, you are getting severely paranoid.

Although I don't see why they just say 'we gotta check if you haven't got any weapons.'

Kids are smart. People forget that.
Not if you live in Alloa their not >_>

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
DiMono said:
TSA Director to staff: "when performing an enhanced pat-down on a child, tell them it's a game" [http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/airport-patdowns-grooming-children-sex-predators-abuse-expert/]

An expert in the fight against child sexual abuse is raising the alarm about a technique the TSA is reportedly using to get children to co-operate with airport pat-downs: calling it a "game".
That's the first paragraph, and then it gets worse. How much worse does it have to get before Americans figure out they're not free any more? It seriously wouldn't surprise me to see a full-on revolt within 10 years if things keep going how they're going.

Lost me at the bold. Yes, this is horrible and should be stopped, but it isn't oppression.

I mean, I know it's hyperbole, but what country are you from? Enlighten me in the innumerable ways it's better.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
DiMono said:
dastardly said:
DiMono said:
TSA Director to staff: "when performing an enhanced pat-down on a child, tell them it's a game" [http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/airport-patdowns-grooming-children-sex-predators-abuse-expert/]

An expert in the fight against child sexual abuse is raising the alarm about a technique the TSA is reportedly using to get children to co-operate with airport pat-downs: calling it a "game".
That's the first paragraph, and then it gets worse. How much worse does it have to get before Americans figure out they're not free any more? It seriously wouldn't surprise me to see a full-on revolt within 10 years if things keep going how they're going.
1) I still believe someone in the TSA is ordering all this over-the-top bullshit to prove some point... but they've forgotten the crucial step of telling everyone what that point is. Is it more funding they want? Do they want to socialize air travel? What are they after?

2) Be very careful when you start treating this like an issue of "freedom." The TSA is a government agency, yes, but the airlines themselves are not. Because the airlines themselves are not explicitly government-run, they are private businesses. That means you don't have a "right" to it in any regard. If you want it to be a right, you've got to give the government control over it. So, decide if you're going to treat it as a right or privilege... but not both.
Fair, except that in order to make it onto a plane owned by one of those private business you have to get through government-run security protocols (which shouldn't be government-run in the first place, but that's a different argument). Further, you have the right to do business with any company who is willing to do business with you in return. You've already bought the ticket, but now you have to jump through hoops in order to complete the transaction by getting on the plane. So in essence, the government is the gatekeeper to your right ability? to make use of that business' services; services you've already paid for.
I agree it's a big, needless hassle. But it's not technically a limiting of our freedom or rights. It infringes on our comfort and convenience. I think we too often play fast and loose with that terminology, and it creates a culture in which too many of us are "The Boy Who Cried 'Rights.'"

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Father Time said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Father Time said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Father Time said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
It's not the best thing to say, but if it gets the children to shut up, be patted down and onto the plane quicker and with less hassle then it's fine. To be honest, the parent should be able to tell the child to let these people do their job so they don't have to resort to this crap.

Personally, I think everyone complaining about being searched should just quit their bitching. It's an airport, you're searched to stop you blowing up the plane - sure, you're not going to but they don't know that and they need to make sure. These searches take 5 minutes maximum and won't delay your flight at all.
Wow I never realized it didn't take a long time, I guess it's OK for them to use these unnecessary molestations then and I'm just being angry over nothing. I mean after all it takes less than 5 minutes, nothing bad ever happens in less than 5 minutes.
It's not missing the point. It's spot on. You're complaining about a basic pat down that everyone else who flies lives with and doesn't complain
Ad populum.

Cpt_Oblivious said:
- it's just a part of airline travel.
So? It's still a disgusting thing that they're doing. Telling me to just put up with it because it's there is stupid.

Cpt_Oblivious said:
Don't like it? Don't fucking fly anywhere.
Again, you paranoid folks who are OK with with being sexually assaulted in the name of security shouldn't fly. I'll keep my liberties and my dignity and remain with the low odds of being attacked on the plane.

And hey it's not like I can't try to put pressure on the airlines and the government to change policy.
It's not sexual assault. It's being patted down.
Yeah the difference is that one is done to unwilling people, and the other is done by the TSA to airline passengers who don't want it. That's the ONLY difference, so I'm going to call it molestation/assault because that's really what it is. Unwanted groping of genitals.

Cpt_Oblivious said:
Nothing disgusting about that,
If you want to be fondled by someone of the same sex that's your business.

Cpt_Oblivious said:
you'd let the police do it, wouldn't you?
Fuck no. I'd demand proof they had a right to do so, I don't think they do.

Cpt_Oblivious said:
Why not these people. They're essentially the same - trained people, doing their job.
There's a big difference between the training cops get and the training the TSA gets.

Cpt_Oblivious said:
And understanding this makes me paranoid? No. You, the one who thinks that anyone even so much as touching you as part of their profession is sexual assault, are paranoid.
Straw men. You do realize they're stroking genitals right?

Cpt_Oblivious said:
And how do you think the odds of being attacked on the plan are low? Well, i's partly because of these security measures.
Mostly because the number of terrorists who have gotten past security (the old security) is very low and they haven't had a big success rate either.
I don't want to be fondled by someone of the same sex and I wouldn't let it happen. I let myself be patted down because fondling and patting are very different things. Fondling is something the person doing it will generally get enjoyment from. I doubt the TSA get enjoyment from touching every unattractive average person who goes through their flight gates. In fact, they've released statements saying as much. And a big training difference? Not in patting people down. It's not hard.

Oh, and the police do have the right to do that. It's part of their stop and search powers.

HappyHacker

Dec 20, 2007
ReservoirAngel said:
Am I stupid for not getting why all this shitstorm about the TSA seems to have sprouted up from nowhere within the past week or so? Bear in mind I'm not American and have no interest in the workings of said country.
yes.... yes you are... no jokeing aside you are not stupid for not getting it exposing people to radiation in the new type of scanners to the patting down of your children wile the tsa oficer tells them is a game it not only disturbes me but its dam near creapy and on a pedofile scale and a oh my god people who fly often enough will soon start to glow. now i understand that the amont of radiation is minimal but still some buissnessmen and other fly 3-4 times a week. ether way i enjoyed fucking with the tsa guys when i whent threw the metal detector in a chainmail shirt the amusment factor was good on the scale that i had them cracking up and most of the people behind me severly pissed off... anyway people getting molested by the tsa has always been an issue but moreso today beceause of the fact that its happening more and more. the whole saveing of the images from the new whole body scanners pissed everyone off.

p.s this was my last rant token for the day.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Keep on rolling the way you're going, TSA. You're already a joke, you're giving your employees a free pass to molest people without fear of reprimand, and now you're unwittingly priming children for sexual assault.

If I were someone who wanted a way to get kicks from touching people, I wouldn't be able to apply for a job there fast enough. Is the TSA stupid? Or just completely ignorant?

But don't worry, America. A sex scandal is just a little ways down the road, and all of you can hit your "lawsuit" hotkeys once the way is open. It'll all get better, I'm sure.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
So... Any other countries looking for citizens?

Any at all?

Please?

The worst part of this whole thing is the idiots that believe this is somehow making us safer. Scary stuff. I'm genuinely afraid for the future of my country at this point.

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
I hate my country more every day. It is full of scaremongering xenophobes.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
That - was a bad choice of words. Seriously could have chosen a better sentence. I understand why they thought of that. They were trying to make sure kids didn't get all upset about it, but the thing is that sentence has some unfortunate implications. But come on people, its just a mistake, everyone does it and this one didn't cause any harm. So calm down and let them figure out something better to say.

Keltrick

Jun 7, 2010
Normalgamer said:
While I disagree with this, your all wearing quite big tin foil hats, it's airport security, if you don't want security who make sure to protect you, the citizen, your free to drive. These standerds are to protect da people, not to hurt da people. Yar.
Agreed. I think security might be a little intrusive and overboard by some people's taste, but I don't see a pat down as 'the man trying to keep me down'.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Why not just tell the kid we're doing a security check? Keep their mother or father with them to hold their hand. This serves the purpose of being able to do the pat down and its unlikely any closet child molester is gonna try for a quick grope with a child's parent within punching distance.

I mean the pat down for children is pretty weird in and of itself, but the wording they're choosing is just outrageously stupid.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
DiMono said:

That's the first paragraph, and then it gets worse. How much worse does it have to get before Americans figure out they're not free any more?
Wait wait wait.

We have to pay to get felt-up patted-down?
Do we get a happy ending? Or at least a happy meal for my kid?

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
Ironic Pirate said:
DiMono said:

Lost me at the bold. Yes, this is horrible and should be stopped, but it isn't oppression.

I mean, I know it's hyperbole, but what country are you from? Enlighten me in the innumerable ways it's better.
Canada. There's a thread somewhere about how Canada and the U.S. compare to each other, and I made most of my points in there. Ironically, the only thing better about Canada than the U.S. that's relevant in this thread is that it's easier for an American driving across the border to get into Canada than it is to get back home.

Which raises an interesting question: if travelling back and forth between Canada and the U.S., would you rather fly and go through airport security, or take the (potentially significantly) extra time to drive, for a more comfortable border crossing?