Tv Openings/Movie Intros That Really Stand Out

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
**EDIT** Since this is perhaps restricted in some territories, it's the opening sequence for the anime Paranoia Agent. If you can track it down in your area, check it out, well worth a look.

This one has always stood out for me. It's this amazing blend of what SOUNDS like a really cheerful and upbeat, but....really isn't on a lot of levels. Plus the imagery, again, at first, seems really uplifting...until the frame starts panning out, and you start taking into account the little details in the shots. Each person's surroundings, how they're all just laughing....and laughing....and laughing. It's this fantastic contradiction, that encapsulates the mad tone of the show. Sadly the finale of the show totally shit the bed, in typical insane japanese anime fashion, but the first half or so, really solid, creepy, X-Files kind of bizarre. Plus I also just really enjoy the song. Fast drums, high vocals, long notes held to touch the sky, that's my kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
This one has always stood out for me. It's this amazing blend of what SOUNDS like a really cheerful and upbeat, but....really isn't on a lot of levels. Plus the imagery, again, at first, seems really uplifting...until the frame starts panning out, and you start taking into account the little details in the shots. Each person's surroundings, how they're all just laughing....and laughing....and laughing. It's this fantastic contradiction, that encapsulates the mad tone of the show. Sadly the finale of the show totally shit the bed, in typical insane japanese anime fashion, but the first half or so, really solid, creepy, X-Files kind of bizarre. Plus I also just really enjoy the song. Fast drums, high vocals, long notes held to touch the sky, that's my kind of stuff.

Video not available bro :(

Reactions: Sora383

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Farscape Season 3 opening.

Over the Seasons of Farscape the opening evolved slowly but I think Season 3 is the best incarnation because of how it's his original messages as such but now with more of sort of his inner monologue about how things have evolved in his view as she sees the escaped prisoners as friends etc.

Also

UFO

Also worth bringing up

The Tomorrow People

For those who don't know the Tomorrow people it was UK tv channel ITV's attempt at an answer to competing with BBC's Doctor Who aiming at the same kind of audience so kids / family but that into I mean it's so bizarre it has to be brought up in a list of memorable show intros.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Now for one that stands out for almost being the most Early 2000s / run on from the over the top 90s stuff you'll ever seen. It's memorable but if I don't think it's good unless you want over the top cheese

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I really liked the openings for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The artists and animators went all-in on them, and not only do they just look and sound good, but they rarely waste a shot, with almost everything in them either foreshadowing or otherwise reflecting the story.

I mean the third opening bookends with Ed frustratedly slamming his fist into a field of flowers which - considering his injuries in his shot - attentive viewers will understand to be reflective of his frustration - immediately post-Gluttony - at having his goal right in front of him but being unable to do anything about it. But the more symbolic detail is in the difference between the two moments. In the first, he really does slam his fist into the field, sending flower petals flying. In the end, however, he stops himself and unclenches his fist to reveal the flower beneath it unharmed. It's a very deliberate contrast that reflects an underlying theme of the series: Humans may make mistakes - and destructive ones at that - but we have the capacity to learn from them and stop ourselves from repeating them (something the antagonists repeatedly fail to grasp even in the final act of the story).

They openings are all lovingly crafted, and I adore them for it. But, as they kinda get spoilery, I'm only going to link the first here.

(edit: replaced dead video link)

Last edited:

Sora383

Escapist +
Mar 17, 2010
Alberta the land of snow snow and sometimes sun
Country
Canada
These have been a lot of fun to watch and while I recognize some of them there’s lots of new ones on here as well which is really interesting for me.

A show popped up for me on Amazon prime a few days ago and as soon as I saw the cover image the intro has been in my head.

I think this andromeda has so much potential in the first season but after that it just went odd really quickly.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Whatever else you can say about the show, Friends' opening was quite memorable

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
If I had to go for an anime opening in particular I really like, I'd probably go with Darling in the Franxx. This is in no small part motivated by me being one of the few people on Earth who actually unironically liked this series, because the opening essentially contains what I liked in the story; a strange melange of melancholy and cheese.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
These stood out for me;

God I fucking LOVE Shadow Raiders. It was just incredible; though sadly truncated.
The sacrifice of the Vizier and Planet Fire was one of the best pieces of television I’be ever seen. The music is grand, the dialogue is top notch - with a bit of Melville for flavour - and just the whole thing is *chef kiss* amazing

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I like the i believe quite famous True Detective s1 intro:

Since Part 6 is announced, here's hope the intro will be as good as my favorite one in the series:

Also, i don't even know what this intro is for, but it's amazing...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Mostly Anime openings I really dug

Which reminds me, I'm due for another rewatch of Ergo Proxy. Think David Lynch doing a post-apocylptic Sci-fi show with heavy existentialist themes.

Another one I feel like I need to rewatch, because of how satisfying it is to watch.

Sadly, this one isn't nearly as good and while the first episode is promising, the rest of the show just takes way too long to not explain enough. I couldn't get through a second attempt despite having finished it once. And I dig the idea and the time period, but it just fucking crawls in the middle.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Mostly Anime openings I really dug

Which reminds me, I'm due for another rewatch of Ergo Proxy. Think David Lynch doing a post-apocylptic Sci-fi show with heavy existentialist themes.

Another one I feel like I need to rewatch, because of how satisfying it is to watch.

Sadly, this one isn't nearly as good and while the first episode is promising, the rest of the show just takes way too long to not explain enough. I couldn't get through a second attempt despite having finished it once. And I dig the idea and the time period, but it just fucking crawls in the middle.
2nd GIG had the better animation for its opening, but I find I preferred the song - Inner Universe - from series one of Stand Alone Complex.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
A basic and unassuming intro that does well to hide the absolute insanity that is this show, and it also has some of the funniest gags too;

Reactions: MrCalavera