Tv Openings/Movie Intros That Really Stand Out

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
2nd GIG had the better animation for its opening, but I find I preferred the song - Inner Universe - from series one of Stand Alone Complex.

Yeah that song fucking rocks. I fully admit that song is what got me interested in watching the series back in the day. Granted I liked GITS the movie when it first came out, but it wasn't a huge draw for me. Anime wasn't a big thing for me back then, still isn't a huge one. But that song, just fucking slick.

Shame to learn that the singer died several years ago. I think from throat cancer? Cancer of some kind as I recall. She nailed that song though, hands down.

The tone of the song reminds me a lot of Paranoia Agent's opening theme song, as to why I like it. Fast drums/beat, high vocals, long harmonies. Just really nicely done structure for a song. It's got that fast, technoy beat that I love, but beautiful singing that works so well.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
2nd GIG had the better animation for its opening, but I find I preferred the song - Inner Universe - from series one of Stand Alone Complex.

I like that one a lot too, but the 2nd GIG one stood out more for me.

Also, this one, which reminds me of Cowboy Bebop in how Snappy and Jazzy it is. It's also a good show that does a lot with it's 13(plus 3 extra) episode runtime.

Weirdly enough, it also spoils one of the main plot threads right there in the damn intro and while it does capture how it's occasionally rather light, it also gets SUPER FUCKING DARK at times. Like, "Oh, this is a fun adventure with gangsters on a train" and then "THERE"S SO MUCH BLOOD".

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I like that one a lot too, but the 2nd GIG one stood out more for me.

Also, this one, which reminds me of Cowboy Bebop in how Snappy and Jazzy it is. It's also a good show that does a lot with it's 13(plus 3 extra) episode runtime.

Weirdly enough, it also spoils one of the main plot threads right there in the damn intro and while it does capture how it's occasionally rather light, it also gets SUPER FUCKING DARK at times. Like, "Oh, this is a fun adventure with gangsters on a train" and then "THERE"S SO MUCH BLOOD".
Yeah, Baccano's fun, if a bit confusing due to its format (for those who haven't seen it, the story is presented anachronistically. Some of the first scenes you see are functionally part of the epilogue. Part of the 'game', so to speak, is figuring out where each event fits in the timeline of the story). To the opening itself though, while I maintain that FMA:B's openings do it better, Baccano's opening does a great job of conveying information/easter eggs with the opening credits.

At a glance you get an idea for who all these characters are even if you don't recognize it at the time. Isaac and Miria are goofy thieves and partners in crime with a flair for the dramatic and no sense of value. Ladd is dangerously reckless and loves it, and Lua's so devoted to him that she doesn't bat an eye at the danger. It's an introduction reel that actually does give you an informative snapshot of the characters.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy

The modern production 90s aesthetic, down to the japanese lyrics font and subtitle color changing based on the shifting art styles, from classic yellow to modern white, is absolutely incredible. It hits you with a whole jet gatling gun of nostalgia out of nowhere.

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
The Ninth Doctor's theme was the best version of the music, and for Who I think that makes it the best Who opening.
Almost every version of the Doctor Who theme is great, but I particularly like this version for the first series of the revival.
But I also love that folks have mentioned Carnivale, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, the 1st and forth season opens of FMAB, Tenchi, and Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Without question, I agree wholeheartedly with those. Also M*A*S*H. When I was a kid I asked my dad why the helicopters were flying backwards? It was so cool having my dad use the Super 8 to demonstrate to me that they weren't flying backwards. But there is a theme I can't believe no one has brought up yet.
'Cause who doesn't have faith of the heart? Right?

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The Ninth Doctor's theme was the best version of the music, and for Who I think that makes it the best Who opening.

But I also love that folks have mentioned Carnivale, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, the 1st and forth season opens of FMAB, Tenchi, and Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Without question, I agree wholeheartedly with those. Also M*A*S*H. When I was a kid I asked my dad why the helicopters were flying backwards? It was so cool having my dad use the Super 8 to demonstrate to me that they weren't flying backwards. But there is a theme I can't believe no one has brought up yet.
'Cause who doesn't have faith of the heart? Right?
Enterprise’s opening is an odd duck. The imagery is well chosen if a little US centric and I’ll die on the hill that Faith of the Heart is a great song and Russell Watson is a talented singer - he does a killer cover of Bridge over Troubled Water - but as a Star Trek opening it just doesn’t seem to work properly.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh, the Godzilla one made me remember something from the same animation studio
I posted the MiB intro back in 2021.

Better than American Godzilla movie and stands on its own. The same studio was full of talented people. They did this, MiB, and Extreme Ghostbusters.

The first time I saw Sonic run in the OVA/Animated movie. 10-year-old me was flipping his shit!

Reactions: Gatuno

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Oh I am SO old school.

Some of that era's series were great, but... what was the deal with their music ? They were all absolutely extraordinary !