TV-Style Commercials Coming to Xbox Live

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
So not only do you have to pay to use the service you are now paying to be advertised to. Oh goodie.

Captcha: hello, world.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
So Microsoft is making money on advertising on top of the money people pay for xbox live gold? Genius!

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
Thank christ. I was worried that I wasn't being taken advantage of enough by paying $60 a year and having to skim through ads on the dashboard anyway, but here comes Microsoft again to save the day! Hooray!

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I hope this means those services can either be used for free, or the subscription cost is going down.

If not, what the fuck, Microsoft?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I called this the moment XBL started charging for DLC years back.

/smug

But seriously, you're PAYING to see commercials! How is this a worth it anymore? You pay for cable/satellite, and now you pay a service to bring you commercials.

HO HO! Fuck those guys!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
The7Sins said:
Just 1 more reason people should give up consoles and join the PC master race.
+1

I have put my TV in a basement for a reason 6 years ago. I dont want to see no stupid commercials (and that does include the silly escapist commercials before the videos, at least dont make me see same commercial every time i watch a video, but oh well).
Also, spend more time in apps than online gaming. This is interesting, but not shocking, after all, i always knew there are many idiots. Notice how they dont talk about offline gaming even if eggsbox prodile does count that. its probably because there are more time spent on that.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
The7Sins said:
mad825 said:
PCs can skip Ads.

PC:3 Console: 0

I just love doing this :). I know, In all seriousness, life is going to be like this one day :/
Memory serves me right, the PSN doesn't have non-game related ads. No idea with the Wii.
Not really relevant but in-fact inevitable that they will at some point.

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
Nuke_em_05 said:
I'm not comfortable with advertisements on pay-for services. Xbox LIVE Gold is a pay-for service.

I can understand commercials on pay-for cable, since you only pay the provider for the connection, and the adverts are for each individual network.

With the apps on my Xbox 360, I'm not paying Microsoft for the connection, I'm paying my ISP. If the individual apps, such as YouTube, Zune, and Hulu have adverts, that's fine; but I don't know why I have to pay Microsoft for a LIVE subscription to use services I can otherwise access for free, or pay someone else for. Like Netflix. You can get all these "services" through a DVD or Blu-Ray player at no extra cost, but Microsoft slaps a financial gate on it.
This. This is a premium service that we pay a fair bit for (I have a Gold Family Account, so that's about £80 a year). On top of that we pay for the internet connection and some of these apps (Netflix being another £6).

If they ad-support Silver so that there's no more divide between the two halves of XBox Live then that's great. If they're just dropping ads onto only their paid subscribers (as free guys can't GET to most of these ads) then that's just asking for trouble.

Next Up: Blizzard replace instance loading screens with commercials.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
So Xbox 360 owners are paying for online service and they get commercials regardless of that? Well if Microsoft wants to introduce commercials they should allow full Xbox live service for free. Is there an option to turn commercials off?

I'm afraid to imagine the horrors next generation of consoles will bring upon us.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010

I already pay for HBO GO and Xbox Live. If I see commercials on there... I don't even know what I'll do. If it's for free apps that we can stream for free, okay, sure. If it's on stuff I already pay for, then that fucking sucks.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
Well that sucks, Well not for me it doesn't I already know how to block ad's on my xbox. it's real easy.
Ad's will never be allowed a place on my xbox, I'm here to play games dammit.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Good thing I get my XBL subscriptions for like $1 a month by just terminating it at the end of each period and activating the inevitable special deal that appears on my dashboard the next day.

Angel Molina

Mar 23, 2011
Now I feel less guilty about sticking to Silver status (since I usually play Skyrim), which is surprising considering said guilt was thought to be non-existent after they raised the price of XBL Gold just a few months ago.

The7Sins said:
Funny enough, the last game I played online on the 360 (besides the ME3:Multiplayer demo) was Modern Warfare 3. After it's online enjoyment died down for me, I began to stick around to playing more games on the PC (like Minecraft). Then I decided to try some of the play-for-free games (LoL, Tribes:Ascend, Airmech, KaG, etc.) and now I have so many PC games that I rarely use my 360 anymore (other than Skyrim). I always thought I would be playing more games on my 360 over time since my computer's graphical power is average at best. But a lot of those P4F games run very good on my PC. =D

The next one I am waiting for is FireFall!

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Erm... ..they aren't going to be putting these into the BBC iPlayer app right?

Because that would be a violation of their agreement with the Beeb - who isn't allowed to have advertising with their programs.

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
When your advertising revenue has already gone up 142%, that means that you don't have to start including ads in your services, not that you should just start trying to make more money.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
lol, PS3 gaming.

But honestly, that's horrible. I'm so glad I stopped using XBL. Having to pay to play AND see ads is just sickening.