TV-Style Commercials Coming to Xbox Live

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
As long as they don't put it into netflix or interrupt my game for one of these ads, I don't suppose I care.

I don't ever use Hulu or Epix or ESPN so I'm good. ^_^

But it gets in the way of my games...I'm going to have to get pissed. I wouldn't want to, but I'd have to...cause that's just wrong.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Ya'll can laugh, but it's only a matter that others see this and want to have a piece of that cake too. If this is successful, and manages to take flight, rest assured other platforms will adopt it as well, yes even PC.

UNLESS, gamers wise up on this one and xbox loses a significant market share due to it. But we all know that's not gonna happen, rabid addict gamers ftl

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Terminate421 said:
Can we have the option of watching 90's commercials?
Seconded.

Well, unless they're retromercials or you get free credits per witnessed commercial, I'm against it.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
This is pretty stupid. It'd be one thing if this was something silver members had to deal with while gaining the ability to use the services. That seems a bit more fair in my opinion, as it means they're basically paying for the services with ads. But only gold member who have to pay already are forced to sit through ads. That's just complete BS in my opinion. So we have to pay for to use a service, and then watch ads to make them more money?

Well, my gold renewal is coming up. I don't think I'm going to this time.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Wakikifudge said:
darthzew said:
Here comes a fun thread.

I don't have a big a problem with this. I mean, sure, it's a little inconvenient, but it sounds just like Hulu or Youtube. It doesn't feel like something worth complaining about
Agreed. It's a very small amount of wasted time.
You seem to be forgetting something... complaining about things in any way related to consoles is pretty much the directive of forumgoers here.

I occasionally jump on youtube or crackle on XBL and an ad here or there is not too much to concern myself with, after all occasionally they link you to something quite interesting, in fact one came up for the new hitman game when I was browsing videos in the gaming section of the youtube app and I selected it and it was actually really good.

I pay the premium for xbox live for the gaming service, if the free apps that are simply there as a convenience require some investment of time on my part that is hardly something I have the right to complain about, and I would be kinda embarrassed with myself if I did.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
If they plonk adverts on the free apps then I don't really care. If they start pushing TV style adverts on subscription based services, well, shits going to get messy.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
This doesn't seem like a massive problem. I mean, how else are free entertainment aps (that don't belong to the BBC and therefore are funded by the "we were here first" tax) supposed to make money? Most of these things ain't owned by microsoft, so it ain't coming out of the subscriptions.

Nice black mirror reference, by the way. The annoying haribo ad comes on and you're all out of credits. THE HORROR!

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
darthzew said:
Here comes a fun thread.

I don't have a big a problem with this. I mean, sure, it's a little inconvenient, but it sounds just like Hulu or Youtube. It doesn't feel like something worth complaining about
Except that YouTube's free, Xbox Live Gold isn't.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Just another way that 30 second periods of my life are being wasted >.>
Oh well. I usually play my 3DS or catch up on forums during commercials on youtube or other stuff.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
What's next? Ad based captchas to axcess the Xbox Live arcade?
that's Octobers update

OT:
>.> i have nothing really to add but 'sucks for you guys, i don't have an Xbox so not my problem'

awol360

May 11, 2010
I was wrong. There was a way to make Xbox live worse for it's users! What will those brilliant people at Microsoft think of next! It almost ruins my respect for their great idea to be able to control virtually everything with the Kinect.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Of course, cable television does make you pay for watching ads too, but at least on television you can actually change the channel, or use tivo or something. With streaming services, you either take it or you actually have to leave it, and then when you come back they will still show you the ads again.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Absolutionis said:
Don't XBox Live people already pay money for the online service? They're paying for commercials now?
They already have to deal with ads on their dashboard yet I keep hearing that XBLA is so superior to PSN because you "get what you pay for", which apparently amounts to ads and commercials.