TV Tropes

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
And how has it ruined your life? Whats the longest time you spent browsing the site?

I imagine the story is the same for most of us: somebody links you to the site, or maybe a random Google check brings you to a link. You read through the page, and notice all the links to other pages. You click the links. On and on and on and on, until you wake up a week later and realize you have to open a fourth Firefox window just to manage all the links.

And for those of us who still haven't been there:
www.tvtropes.org

You've been warned.

ShadeOfRed

Jan 20, 2008
Oh God, I love that site. I have never spent so much time on the internet, hell, 4chan doesn't even compare. Of course, I only discovered it this summer so it hasn't ruined my life just yet, but I know I'm going to be speaking TV Tropian the moment I'm back in school. Hooray for isolation and whatnot!

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I actually wasn't hooked the last time I went in, but I was consciously avoiding trying to not get sucked in. I've spent more time on Cracked than TV Tropes.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I don't know why, but I'm immune to that. I read on article, maybe check what a reference to another means, then look through the list to see if there's anything I know. Then I leave.

EDIT:

Heart of Darkness said:
I actually wasn't hooked the last time I went in, but I was consciously avoiding trying to not get sucked in. I've spent more time on Cracked than TV Tropes.
Also, this. I've spent WAAY more time on Cracked. It's funnier.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
eatenbyagrue said:
And how has it ruined your life? Whats the longest time you spent browsing the site?
Oh, man! I know what you mean!

I found this site a little while back and reading the thing is addicting.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I can't imagine how many days of my life I've lost on that bloody site. I went on there one day to quickly look something up... before I knew it, six hours had passed and I was starving. Yet still we keep going back for more.

I guess it's like any other wiki though - the tendency for wiki-walking [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WikiWalk] is strong. Erm, better not click on that link then matey.

NotMePleaseIgnore

Jul 20, 2009
I never really reference it in speech but I have spent many a waking hour perusing the depths of it's bountiful vaults of knowledge...

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
I went on a complete archive binge when I first found the site. Now I just go on sporadically to check in with my favorite shows/books/games/etc. If I see something in a book or new episode of a show, I add it to the list. But those first 2 weeks after I found it...yeah, I lost a lot of sleep.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Its a horrible yet gleeful experience, its not really a waste of time if you've enjoyed yourself looking around at things, so whatever you do don't click HERE [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
I've clicked on links to it many times, and I've only ever clicked through two other things on it...I can't say I see why it's so distracting.
*shrugs*

DoctorWhat

v11.1 beta2
Apr 10, 2009
15 mins... I can see how things are fun to click, but I haven't been sucked in before... I just got tired of it. meh.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
I'm actually a registered troper on there, with my own contributor page and everything. Anyone else?

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Well I think the fact i'm lazy gives me a barrier to being on it for long hours, I click a link then I see 2 other links and thing, bah I cba looking at both of them read the other link then back to the escapist:p

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
SharPhoe said:
I'm actually a registered troper on there, with my own contributor page and everything. Anyone else?
I edit pages, but that's pretty much it. I'd like to think I have yet to pass the "point of no return" XD