Twilight: Eclipse Turns Into 8-Bit Game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Twilight: Eclipse Turns Into 8-Bit Game

Someone on the internet has (mis?)used YouTube's annotation-link feature to turn Twilight: Eclipse into a NES-era RPG.

A while back, YouTube added a surprisingly awesome new feature to its videos, where filmmakers were able to add optional pop-up captions that could function as links. If you were, say, commenting on a relevant political story, you could always throw in links to CNN (or your news site of choice) for viewers to inform themselves.

Or you could use the same function to effectively make a Twilight: Eclipse Choose-Your-Own-Adventure. That works too, I guess.

The above video is the collaboration of several individuals, including the guy who did 8-Bit Dr. Horrible [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/07/dr-horribles-sing-along-blog-recreated-in-8-bit-style/] - and mashes up something we nerds absolutely hate (Twilight) with something we love (retro-style graphics and presentation). It's your classic avoidance/approach scenario, man!

In all seriousness, there's something about being able to take the trainwreck that is Twilight and at least slightly influence how the story turns out to make it not quite as bad (Team Jacob, man, Jacob!). Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be a "Jacob makes a call down to Sunnydale to get the Slayer up to take care of things" option. Ah well, maybe next time.

(Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/29/twilight-eclipse-as-8-bit-youtube-video-game/])

jojoemon

May 20, 2008
This post sounds kindof like the Escapist has learned from the earlier "Which team are you on post" that had such negative feedback. I guess they realised that most gamers hate Twilight, but despise Jacob slightly less then that other guy. So, way to learn from your mistakes, Escapist!(or, maybe just John Funk, but still) props!
And, although the prospect of this 8-bit twilight game itself isn't enthralling me, the ability to make cool 8-bit games form youtube videos is neat.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow...Im not too sure what to think, but, its unique at least lol

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
This could very well be the greatest thing ever.

I love you for finding this, Funk.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Guy32 said:
OMG GUYS, I TOTALLY MARRIED EDWARD CULLEN!!!
I am so sorry.

OP: I wonder why people are so hung up on 8 bit graphics?

Seriously, 16 bit is the way to go.

Tomtitan

Jun 7, 2010
John Funk said:
Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be a "Jacob makes a call down to Sunnydale to get the Slayer up to take care of things" option. Ah well, maybe next time.
FINALLY! It's about damn time someone made that suggestion! The Slayer is the only one who can save us!

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Tomtitan said:
John Funk said:
Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be a "Jacob makes a call down to Sunnydale to get the Slayer up to take care of things" option. Ah well, maybe next time.
FINALLY! It's about damn time someone made that suggestion! The Slayer is the only one who can save us!
Better yet... Blade, Abraham Van Helsing, Buffy, Spike, Angel, Kain, Raziel, Morbious, Dracula, Count Orlok, Spawn and Tony Jaa... Find them and fuck them up.

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
How is this news? If they made an 8-bit game of Hannah Montana would you update us on it? Yes... yes you would so STOP IT!

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Okay, this is pretty damned funny. I don't know what it is, the music, or the choices, but this is pretty perfect.

I shall share it now, amongst my friends.

squidbuddy99

Jun 29, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a huge sting operation by the CIA, since clearly anyone who would play this game willingly should never have offspring.