Twilight Screenwriter Penning Highlander Reboot

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Twilight Screenwriter Penning Highlander Reboot

It's out with vampires and werewolves for the Twilight screenwriter, and in with immortal Egyptians with Spanish names and Japanese swords.

Back in 2008, the studio behind the Twilight movies, Summit Entertainment, announced that it was remaking the original Highlander movie. Now it seems the Twilight connection will run even deeper, as Melissa Rosenberg - who wrote the three Twilight movies that Summit has released so far, as well as the two in production - has signed up to create the script.

The years have not been kind to the Highlander franchise. The first movie starred Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery and told the story of a race of immortal swordsmen, fighting amongst themselves for a mystical prize. It was good, but it left no room for a sequel. Unfortunately, that didn't stop people from making one: Highlander 2: The Quickening. The movie was so bad and incomprehensible that the director wanted his name taken off it, and most fans consider it to be non-canon. Not that the subsequent sequels were much to write home about either. They never equalled the low point of The Quickening, but still met with overwhelmingly negative responses. With that legacy, it's hard to see how this reboot can be any worse.

Aside from her work penning supernatural love triangles, Rosenberg was one of the writers for the TV show Dexter and has been nominated for two Emmy awards. Unfortunately, she's also been nominated for a Razzie award, for her script for New Moon, but lost out to - or triumphed over, depending on your point of view - the writers of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Rosenberg is not the first person to work on the script however. The initial draft was written by Art Marcum and Matt Holloway, two of the writers for Iron Man.

Justin Lin - who has directed every Fast and the Furious movie since Tokyo Drift - is attached to direct the movie, and Neal Moritz - who's also working on the Total Recall reboot [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106802-Treasure-Trove-of-Details-Revealed-for-Total-Recall-Remake ] with Colin Farrell - is producing. Last year, Mortiz said that the movie would be an origin story, and wouldn't come out until 2012 at the earliest.

Source: Heat Vision Blog [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/twilight-writer-melissa-rosenberg-takes-97481]

Feb 13, 2008
If it's worse than Highlander 2 (We dare not speak its name), then I shall be impressed.

But seriously, Guy meets other Guy, chops off head. Rinse-repeat. I just Chop and Go.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Oh dear god... And I just realized how many threads Ive responded to with those three words... anyways, I can sense this movie has a 80% chance of failing like all the others, and the 20% success is really pushing it.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Didn't see Highlander, but I imagine someone saying "OH noes, SHE'LL RUIN EVERYTHING" in 3.....2.....1

Note* I'm aware that someone might reply. If so, can you post a funny photo with it?

Note* Twilight vs Dexter mmm? As long that she did not wrote the first few episodes of Dexter season 1, I'll be ok with the choice of writer.

EDIT: It's funny that I have responses saying "It's already ruined. It couldn't be worse".

Feb 13, 2008
Random Argument Man said:
As long that she did not wrote the first few episodes of Dexter season 1, I'll be ok with the choice of writer.
You know that those episodes are perhaps the most faithful to the books?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Didn't see Highlander, but I imagine someone saying "OH noes, SHE'LL RUIN EVERYTHING" in 3.....2.....1
Well since the Highlander franchise has been beaten to death already I can't see how this could be ruined further.

EDIT: Case in point:

<youtube=N1pczH7a5RM>

Even the Twilight fight scenes looked better than this.

And I can't find a clip of the final fight in this movie where he spins around the bad guy so fast he digs himself into the ground like a Tasmanian Devil.

EDIT 2: Found the best video to explain

<youtube=tWkPBt_qgu8>

Lonely Swordsman

Jun 29, 2009
Twilight was based on horrible source material that you can't really improve if you're trying to stay true to it, so I'm gonna give the writer the benefit of a doubt.
The only worry I have is about the action sequences turning into shakey cam shitfests where you can't see the actual fight.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Oh well, Highlander is basically Anne Rice for men, so why not?
It's physically impossible for a remake to be as bad as a sequel to a movie that needed no sequel.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Lonely Swordsman said:
Twilight was based on horrible source material that you can't really improve if you're trying to stay true to it, so I'm gonna give the writer the benefit of a doubt.
The only worry I have is about the action sequences turning into shakey cam shitfests where you can't see the actual fight.
or even worse, it could be like in Highlander: The Source, where you can see the actual fight, and you don't want to

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
As long that she did not wrote the first few episodes of Dexter season 1, I'll be ok with the choice of writer.
You know that those episodes are perhaps the most faithful to the books?
Just because they are faithful doesn't mean they are good. Just look at FMA and The Godfather; both FAR exceed the quality of their source material. (For the love of God, don't get me started on FMA:B)

@OP

Is it ok for a grown man to cry tears of pain? Because, that is what this article has driven to!

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
because some one has to say it.

'Oh God No! They are going to spill forth Lucky Charms from their neck cavities when they get decapitated now!'

lol ah, disco ball vampires.
so wrong.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
My initial thought was, "Someone kill this person quickly" but then on reflection she might actually do a good job. Its logical to assume shes learnt something from the Twilight films and Highlander is about immortals trying to kill each other so its not exactly a far step.

No, I think Ill be quite interested to see what she pulls out the sporran on this one. It will either be a breath of fresh wind into a name thats been buggered to hell or it will be the final nail in the coffin.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Why is highlander doomed to eternally dissapoint me in new and epicly depressing ways...
Oddly enough, this question was answered in the first movie, in the form of a song:

<youtube=_Jtpf8N5IDE>

Who wants their franchise to live forever?

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Well since the Highlander franchise has been beaten to death already I can't see how this could be ruined further.

EDIT: Case in point:

<youtube=N1pczH7a5RM>

Even the Twilight fight scenes looked better than this.

And I can't find a clip of the final fight in this movie where he spins around the bad guy so fast he digs himself into the ground like a Tasmanian Devil.

EDIT 2: Found the best video to explain

<youtube=tWkPBt_qgu8>
Thanks for this, you immortal fuck.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
"Oh no" was my first thought. But it may not be as bad as all that. Hopefully there's room for Adrian Paul (despite my ex having a scary crush on him, I still like him better than Christopher Lambert).

Or else there'll be a third McLeod immortal (which wouldn't surprise me either).

Exterminas said:
Oh well, Highlander is basically Anne Rice for men, so why not?
You know, I never thought about it that way, but that's a pretty good description. The concept of Highlander, at least, makes for a nice guilty pleasure.

Feb 13, 2008
Elementlmage said:
Just because they are faithful doesn't mean they are good.
Careful young padwan, that way the Prequels lie. Accepting them leads to watching that which shall not be named, and we have lost many to the Sparkle Side. Easier it is, quick to join you in a fight. Once you start liking the Sparkle though, forever will it dominate your view, consume you, it will. Until you accept that The Quickening isn't as bad as some say. Then, you are lost.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
So many things that made me upset in this article.
I'll give the twilight screenwriter a chance seeing as she wrote episodes for dexter however when it said she replaced the Ironman writers I doubt her version will/would've been as good as theirs.

Also the fact that a Fast and Furious director is remaking Total Recall made me facepalm and then when I saw Colin Farrell was the lead I slammed my head against a wall.

Please I know this is now the trend to reboot and remake stuff but stop getting everything wrong when you do so.