Twitch removes famous emote

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You sure about that? That companies can't and don't put in their rules for employment "No hate speech, racism, etc"? Because support for Nazism fits into both. Not to mention quite a few of your coworkers might/will decide they don't want to work with you, leading your boss to tell you "You're not a good company fit. Bye". You act as if companies need to justify their firing other then "We don't need want you here. You don't meet company expectations". You also imply the US government really gives a shit about rights of workers over corporations and businesses.

There's also the everpresent "Bad PR" angle. Because the moment X gets outed writing "Hitler should have finished the job" on a message board, which starts tending on twitter, which makes the news, then gets picked up by somebody working for <Company X works for>, it's a short step to "You don't represent the company values we believe in. Pack up your shit". Because otherwise you get the "Man, <Company> knows X is a Nazi and keeps them on. Fuck <Company>!" PR backlash.
I am an employer myself so yes I am sure about this. However that doesn't stop companies from find other reason to let the person in question go. In my professional experience very few employers look into a person's personal life via Facebook or Twitter or whatever. Usually because your average Joe on Twitter is going to have some random ass Twitter handle like "Bigdick666" And you would have no way to link that to James in Accounting unless he logged into that account with work property.

As a result the only time this would even come up would be if it spilt into the workplace environment. At which point the person is likely to get a warning and a mark in their file with no further punishment unless there was complaints from other co-workers of constant disturbance.

But usually racists, or nazi's aren't walking up and down the cubicals at work shouting "kill all Ompaloompa's" Or whatever.

I mean when you consider the sheer fuckload of people on social media, think of how rare it actually is for you to hear when someone gets caught being "hateful" online. Usually you have to do something absolutely bonkers to get caught and suffer from the reprocussions of such behavior.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
How far do we go with what?

Your boss has the right to fire you if you embarrass the company or condone violence. Because we live in a world where companies have 90% of the power and the worker has pretty much none.

I mean, I guess we could make laws that would require companies to show a very good reason to fire someone, but that would make the corporations sad and unprofitable and would be "Communism" because the government would be telling companies what to do and violating their Free Speech Rights to hire and fire on a whim.
Private companies can do what they like as a position.

Sorry to have a somewhat consistent position because in the past I happily called what Walmart did bullshit too but that's been relegated to history people seem to not remember what happened and went on with them.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I mean when you consider the sheer fuckload of people on social media, think of how rare it actually is for you to hear when someone gets caught being "hateful" online. Usually you have to do something absolutely bonkers to get caught and suffer from the reprocussions of such behavior.
You mean like livestream yourself committing a riot/insurrection? Or bragging about it online?

Or saying someone killed in the riot/insurrection was a #MAGAMatyr in an attempt to legitimize their death?

I mean, a lot of these people are that fucking stupid and they're getting arrested/losing their jobs as a result. I can't say I feel bad for Facists losing their jobs after outing themselves committing violent acts because their feewings are hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
You mean like livestream yourself committing a riot/insurrection? Or bragging about it online?

Or saying someone killed in the riot/insurrection was a #MAGAMatyr in an attempt to legitimize their death?

I mean, a lot of these people are that fucking stupid and they're getting arrested/losing their jobs as a result. I can't say I feel bad for Facists losing their jobs after outing themselves committing violent acts because their feewings are hurt.
Because truly the way to get rid of fascists is to make sure the only people they can associate with and the only way they can make money is from others just like them. That doesn't seem like a recipe for disaster and further radicalisation at all ./s

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Because truly the way to get rid of fascists is to make sure the only people they can associate with and the only way they can make money is from others just like them. That doesn't seem like a recipe for disaster and further radicalisation at all ./s
Why should the rest of us have to support their hateful asses?

They want to live in their pure little society with no gays, liberals, Jews, Socalists, Muslims, whatever, they can go live in the woods by themselves and inbreed themselves into oblivion. The rest of us shouldn't have to deal with their hateful bullshit they keep trying to foist upon the rest of us(when they aren't trying to terrorize and lynch us).

If they feel like being civilized humans, we can talk, but not until then.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

They want to live in their pure little society, they can go live in the woods by themselves and inbred themselves into oblivion. The rest of us shouldn't have to deal with their hateful bullshit they keep trying to foist upon the rest of us.
The problem is who decides what is hateful? Hateful speech to some, is not to others, and what body should be the deciding force on which side is hate and which side isn't?

You'd think that would be a clear cut and dry answer but it isn't. Is midgendering hate? Is deadnaming? Is homophobia? Is Islam? Maybe yes, maybe no, perspective is everything.

The problem is that there is a mass media shove to what they WANT you to think is hateful and wrong. But I ask this, if those people in DC where storming the captial building demanding BLM, but doing the same behavior as we saw on Wednesday would that be hateful still? Or would it be righteous?

They have identified several people from the DC "riot" also as people who were part of BLM protests elsewhere this year.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Except his tweet expressed sympanthy not inciting violence. What i saw was just a guy supporting the protests of the "wrong" side.

Now there may have been more tweets and fine. But considering the emote isnt his content, its only his likeness, then i still see the removal a bit of a knee jerk. Expecially since i have already pointed out the hypocrisy of Twitch's support system earlier in this thread.

As for you example. Your employeer cannot fire you for having an opinion so long as it doesnt cause disturbances in the work place. Holding nazi viewpoints (which everything is nazism now so that label is not only diminished in meaning but also is a highly gross misuse to anyone who knows the horror of what Nazi Germany really was), cannot get you fired if you do not express him in the workplace. Otherwise you can be hit with a wrongful termination suit as well as a descrimination suit. You cannot fire someone for beliefs, regardless of what they are.
In the vast majority of the United States, yes they can. Or for no stated reason at all. It's called At Will Employment and it's a darling of conservative policy

Montana just went deep red, so I expect us to go that way in the next couple years

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I thought you wanted something closer to communism. You kick them out of work and yeh you'll be supporting the via your tax dollars for unemployment lol.

Is it not better to try to redeem people and allow them to be redeemed than condemn them forever because you're angry? The law exists to punish people we don't need the Black Mirror Episode White Bear to become an actual thing.

They want to live in their pure little society with no gays, liberals, Jews, Socalists, Muslims, whatever, they can go live in the woods by themselves and inbreed themselves into oblivion. The rest of us shouldn't have to deal with their hateful bullshit they keep trying to foist upon the rest of us(when they aren't trying to terrorize and lynch us).
So you'd rather just deal with them later when they are more radicalised and actually more of a threat?

If they feel like being civilized humans, we can talk, but not until then.
So waiting from them to come bend the Knee are you Danny?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I thought you wanted something closer to communism. You kick them out of work and yeh you'll be supporting the via your tax dollars for unemployment lol.

Is it not better to try to redeem people and allow them to be redeemed than condemn them forever because you're angry? The law exists to punish people we don't need the Black Mirror Episode White Bear to become an actual thing.
They can stop being a nazi at any time. In the meantime, there's no reason to subject everybody else to their hateful bullshit,

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
They can stop being a nazi at any time. In the meantime, there's no reason to subject everybody else to their hateful bullshit,
yeh but some-one has to pull them out.

Also again really comparing the most extreme of a group to all of them in this case again?