Two League of Legends "Pros" Banned for Being Horrible

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
*chuckle* Ah MOBA, such rage inducement. I wonder if the asshats in the semi-pro circle are looking up and going "WOW, I can get NEWS-BANNED?!" with hopeful stars in their eyes.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Missing SHODAN said:
Therumancer said:
On one hand this is good, on the other hand this is done entirely by an automated system apparently. The justification for these guys getting banned is based on the percentage of complaints/reports filed rather than specific incidents and things they did.
It isn't automated at all - those reports were all reviewed by the community through the Tribunal, which is a community driven paid jurist system, basically. The community reviewers get the full chatlog from the game, the reasons players reported the defendant/asshole/whatever, and their stats in the game (ie their K/A/D, item build, etc), and decide whether or not the defendant/asshole crossed the line with their behavior. These reports are shown to some number of players to get a consensus and then the guilty/pardon results are reported back to Riot.
Fair enough, surprising I got so many responses since the article doesn't seem to mention a Tribunal or anything of the sort. I was posting entirely based on how I read the article which focused on complaint %s and assuming it worked similar to other automated systems.

sinn3r

Apr 23, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
It's quite pathetic really... Bans in League are not handed out enough considering how vile the community is...
My Tribunal history is full of time bans. (~500 cases)

sinn3r

Apr 23, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
I think that if after 500 reports a player still hasn't reformed, they're really just bringing the rest of the community down.
Why shouldnt i be proud of contributing to make the game a bit better? Heck, even the most cases i skip, because i am not sure, if guilty or not, are voted timeban by a vast majority. (Afaik is the next ban after three timebans a perma anyway)

And since you dont get form of payment for your votes anymore (first version of the Tribunal had 12 IP given to you per 'correct' vote), i can think of very little grief potential in the Tribunal.

I'd really like to see a slacker que tho. Slack, be reported (= found guilty) and then que the next 30 games or something only with other slackers.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
* Insert additional generic comment asking why they didn't ban the rest of the LoL player base*
I'm not a fan of Buckley, but this comic sums up why that won't happen. To quote Scott Pilgrim, "everyone is bitches".

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
You get reported in LoL for saying "gg" at the end of the match if you dominated the game.
Anyone who thinks that the amount of reports in LoL shows anything is delusional.
See, if an average internet user like you thought of that, what makes you think that not a single person at Riot could do the same?

I mean, after thirty seconds of looking around-

Tribunal case evidence includes report reasons and comments, in-game chat log, per player stats and inventory, date, time, map, and mode for each individual game from which the case is built.

These cases are presented to random community members who use the Tribunal who then review the case files and render a judgment - pardon or punish. Player Support then uses this information to help assign the right penalties to the right players.
I know I'm not the expert that you are, but I seriously doubt having six times more reports than everyone else, and being banned for them, means they were still all false ones.

If you want to act like you know better than them, at least make it a little bit reasonable.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Now they just need to ban the other millions of assholes who play LoL and maybe i'll consider playing it again...

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
This is why I miss the days of playing games at the same house. Somebody talks shit and you can put down the controller and beat their ass.

Alot of gamers and internet badasses need a good ass kicking.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I've never played or even seen LoL, but I gotta say I do like how whatever body has authority over it is taking a no nonsense approach to trash-talking jerks. I'm sure most of us are so dead to it that we just drown out all that noise, still it's nice to see a couple of jackasses get put in their place. :p

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
These people need to learn that professionals are supposed to set a high standard for everyone else to follow. If they can't figure that out, they don't deserve to play.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Thread title is misleading as fuck. Being "horrible" at a video game means just that - poor performance. You missed a key word (horrible people) and thus the title means something entirely different from the content of the article.

Please fix.

sapphireofthesea

Jul 18, 2010
TheKasp said:
Yeah, well deserved ban. If you are a 'professional' then behave that way, dimwit.
Therumancer said:
I have mixed opinions.

On one hand this is good, on the other hand this is done entirely by an automated system apparently. The justification for these guys getting banned is based on the percentage of complaints/reports filed rather than specific incidents and things they did.

The problem with automated systems is that they are easily abused, we've already had plenty of horror stories about people being locked out of their accounts due to automated systems, after having done very little. I myself had a problem (albiet one that never went that far) when I noticed my Gamer Rep on XBL dropping playing online fighting games because half the time I'd beat someone they would report me for unsportsmanlike conduct or something else, a routine behavior with a lot of that community. I wound up stopping playing fighting games over XBL as a result.

See, in a case like this when it comes to dominant players you have to ask, how many people were complaining because they actually did something, or because they just didn't like the player or losing to them.

To me, I'd rather hear that someone working for the company descended with the mighty banhammer after personally catching them saying "X, X, and Y" to other players, than hearing "oh well, the guy had complaints in 29% of his matches" which from my own experience could just be people throwing tantrums similar to what I've run into (and I'm not even good at fighting games, god forbid what it's like for some of the pros in MOBA games and such).

The way this sounds, unless they present some actual proof, I'd actually be considering a lawsuit if it was costing me money via tournament participation, and accuse the company of trying to load the tourney.

In a more general sense, when I briefly returned to WoW to try "Pandas" (which was meh) I had to go through an act of congress to re-activate my account due to Blizzard's automated system having shut it down for cheating... when it was an inactive account (and was intact as far as I could tell when I actually got in). I've also been threatened by automated systems detecting improper behavior with other online games I wasn't even playing or didn't even have installed (and even re-installed them to check it out and found nada).

In short, I put absolutly no faith in any kind of automated "recognition" software, and even less faith in any kind of impersonal system by which one player can "report" another for any reason and have it go into some kind of meaningful record without human involvement. IMO these companies need to actually hire some bloody people, and stop trying to cut corners by automating everything. Especially Blizzard... really, there is no excuse for some of the crap I've gotten from them (always bureaucratic stuff, not user complaints). "Your account has been locked out due to improper behavior" Rly? My account that hasn't been on for 2 years was trying to sell gold? The one that has all of it's gold and items intact? I've been detected trying to sell my Diablo 3 account, the one with my mighty Level 17 Wizard (since I wound up not caring much for the game)... I'm sure people were lining up by the thousands for that one. :)
People include text in a report and the system only highlights reports which are then sent an admin who looks at the reports and the information recorded from the game, if he deems it a violation it is sent to a player tribunal for judgement, if they judge it a breach then it is once again sent to the admins for a final decision on the punishment (severity of the punishment and the such).
It is likely the ban for these guys followed the same or similar path. Hope this clears up any concerns.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
This is nothing but fluff. About half of the LoL community needs to be perma IP-banned for this game to become playable without wanting to kill yourself. The amount of games without at least one (usually more) caps lock spamming, intentionally feeding, raging 9 year olds with Tourettes are...1 in 20? If that. It's a rare, memorable occurence to play a game where noone gets their mother insulted or told to get cancer. I even often have people going into fits of hysteria during meaningless co-op vs easy AI matches, where our team is winning easily. And I'm not talking about typing "omg ks noob". I am talking actual fits of mouth-frothing rage, without any apparent reason, typing things that I really don't want to repeat here.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game. I think it's a bunch of fun. But in order for me to actually play it, I need to either be doing so in a team of 5 with friends, or by closing All chat and immediately muting all of my teammates as soon as the match starts. I used to not do that, just so I can report the absolutely horrible people that are playing this game, but soon I realized that it's pointless. The Tribunal doesn't work. Nothing will work. The only way to clear the LoL community of the filth is to nuke it from orbit.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Phlakes said:
BiH-Kira said:
You get reported in LoL for saying "gg" at the end of the match if you dominated the game.
Anyone who thinks that the amount of reports in LoL shows anything is delusional.
See, if an average internet user like you thought of that, what makes you think that not a single person at Riot could do the same?

I mean, after thirty seconds of looking around-

Tribunal case evidence includes report reasons and comments, in-game chat log, per player stats and inventory, date, time, map, and mode for each individual game from which the case is built.

These cases are presented to random community members who use the Tribunal who then review the case files and render a judgment - pardon or punish. Player Support then uses this information to help assign the right penalties to the right players.
I know I'm not the expert that you are, but I seriously doubt having six times more reports than everyone else, and being banned for them, means they were still all false ones.

If you want to act like you know better than them, at least make it a little bit reasonable.
So it's better because the same kind people who report for no reason are also judging?
The Tribunal is the worst thing that Riot did.

Also, the guys at Riot think that Healer are anti-fun, that the community is retarded and that they can't create a feminine character without adding gigantic tits. Are you seriously telling me to trust the judgement of those people.

Edit: I'm not talking about this case specifically. I'm talking about Riot's approach to the community in general.

Pereking

Mar 19, 2009
Tenmar said:
sapphireofthesea said:
People include text in a report and the system only highlights reports which are then sent an admin who looks at the reports and the information recorded from the game, if he deems it a violation it is sent to a player tribunal for judgement, if they judge it a breach then it is once again sent to the admins for a final decision on the punishment (severity of the punishment and the such).
It is likely the ban for these guys followed the same or similar path. Hope this clears up any concerns.
Except the problem here is that as a person doing tribunal you are essentially having evidence and context completely withheld to actually form a proper and reasonable judgment. A simple text log to read is easily misunderstood due to a person's lack of reading comprehension. Then add to the text log that you have no video evidence that goes with the scenario as to understand why said player was reported. Okay sure, the guy told another guy "fuck you" but if 18 minutes have passed and that fuck you comes out of the blue you would have to be quite dense to not ask the why did he suddenly violate "the summoner's code".

The ability to have a proper testimony and video evidence when the games are always recorded should be able to be watched to actually understand the context. Because that guy could of been griefing by constantly roaming on purpose and that is provoking a person. Riot has all the tools to actually empower players to really see what is going on in each match and really ask themselves "would I do that in the same situation" but won't let players view what really matters which is context.

I have a few points to make. I am quoting this post but I am referring to all of your posts.

1. The tribunal has a purpose. The basic principal is that if you act like a dick, and people report you, you get to the tribunal, where you will be found guilty and issued a warning/ban. You are then expected to understand that you have done wrong, and reform. This system is not there to judge you or any of the players. When you are in a game and another player flames or rages at you, you enjoy that game less. The tribunal system exists to try and maintain a certain level of enjoyment of the game for everyone, and allow the community to police itself.

2. The evidence the tribunal system provides is enough. When a person is reported for verbal abuse, and you view the chat and see that he told another player to go fuck himself, you punish him. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior, and it should not be allowed or encouraged by anyone, especially not a company that's trying to maintain an ever expanding player base. The fact remains that harassing people in game worsens the player's experience. I personally can't see any justification for any sort of abusive behavior.

Overall, the people who enjoy the game are the ones we want playing, not the ones who ruin it for others.