Two LulzSec Members Plead Guilty To DDOS Attacks

Penguinis Weirdus

Mar 16, 2012
GiglameshSoulEater said:
Well, at least America haven't actually nicked these (like that innocent guy a while back), and let us handle them.
Lethos said:
Why do all the hackers I read about end up being British? Does this country have some sort of hacker-child training programme or what?
Well, I have seen a university course for 'ethical' hacking. No joke.
Its true I'm currently doing it for my degree. Hacking is a less awesome than the films make it out to be, still fun and you learn groovy things about computers but its not like the movies at all.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Buretsu said:
viranimus said:
I find it incredibly interesting that laws exist that protect corporate ineptitude as well as corporate greed but we can take a year to focus on punishing those evil evil hackers that are manipulating everyone out of their money, demanding digital distribution as a means to undermine economic stability and then subject personal information obtained through that campaign to easy unsolicited access.... oh wait, thats not right.
I find it incredibly interesting that people feel that criminals should get a free pass because 'fuck big corporations'.
And exactly what "crime" was committed? Overloading a server with trivial data requests? I wasnt aware that was exactly made a crime. Walking thru a backdoor left wide open that just happened to hold data stores of personal information? Again if the door had been properly locked and secured, yes, but honestly these guys hacking skill is actually not as impressive as the results suggest.

And honestly Im sorry you disagree, but any corporation that chose to try to railroad, screw over and ruin the life of an individual in the name of protecting corporate profits despite there being legal precedent that made that action perfectly legal, and then challenged people to screw with them, had no reason to expect any other response and should not be protected for not anticipating the very expected response.

These kids may or may not have broken "laws"(because in many cases the charges are improper modified stop gap charges for laws that do not exist) but these are not the "criminals" that need looking for.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I don't understand why the US government seem desperate to have EVERY man (and his dog) who hacked an email account extradited to the US to face their court system.
Lets face it, if the US gov' are going to all the effort and expense of extraditing someone, it's pretty unlikely that they're going to let that person walk out as a free man and thus it's unlikely that this person will face a fair trial.

So why do they want to extradite everyone? Do they fear that the hacker wont be punished enough? Do they fear the UK courts are corrupt?
I'd like to think that a country with a legal system which has been around longer than the USA has even existed and has worked fairly well and with negligible corruption can process it's own criminals successfully.

So the US gov' want to extradite these guys to face charges in the US. The US tax payer has to pay for this. They then have to pay for the incarceration of these British citizens.
Why would the American people want to pay millions of dollars for something that will be done just as well in another country?

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
viranimus said:
And exactly what "crime" was committed? Overloading a server with trivial data requests? I wasnt aware that was exactly made a crime.
This has been a crime for a long time, whether you were aware of it or not.

Walking thru a backdoor left wide open that just happened to hold data stores of personal information? Again if the door had been properly locked and secured, yes, but honestly these guys hacking skill is actually not as impressive as the results suggest.
So if you forgot to lock your door and some guy came in and stole everything you owned and then raped your dog, you wouldn't have an issue with it? Would you say, "ahh, I didn't lock my door properly, so my stuff is fair game. Oh well, no problem, it's not a crime"?

These kids may or may not have broken "laws"
Nope, they definitely did break laws. Even if you don't agree with the law, it's still a law.

I would say that this whole thing is blown out of proportion and expect the US gov' to be shipping these guys to Guantanamo Bay for some friendly torture as soon as they can. But at the end of the day, they did break the law and they knew it.

aksel

Nov 18, 2009
I'm fairly certain someone has already posted the xkcd comic already, but whatever.

Achheem....

OH NO! NOOOOT FREAKING DDOS ATTACKS! :O
WHYYYY WON'T ANYONE PLEEEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!(.jpg)

LOCK UP YOUR FUCKING DAUGHTERS, 'CUS SCRIPT KIDDIES ARE COMING TO TOWN!
/capslock

DDOS attacks are harmmellesses, man.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I feel kind of bad for these guys. Yeah they broke the law but two computer nerds wouldn't last a day in prison without getting... well y'know.

How long would they serve for this?

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
DugMachine said:
I feel kind of bad for these guys. Yeah they broke the law but two computer nerds wouldn't last a day in prison without getting... well y'know.

And who do they have to blame for the horrible fate that awaits them? Themselves? Ok, any pity/sympathy gone.

Sorry, I feel no pity for anyone who willingly breaks the law and actually has consequences dealt to them. It happens far too little in society nowadays.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Dastardly said:
Is the inclusion of the Asperger's thing supposed to make people sympathetic to the guy? All that means is the guy has trouble with social interaction and an abnormally intense interest in a particular subject, not that he doesn't know right from wrong, or that he has superpowers, or that he's somehow not responsible for what he did.
Do you mean inclusion in the article, or inclusion in the trial (if it was). If it's the former, I'm not sure. If the latter, then his defense lawyer is probably clinging onto every last straw she can to have his sentence reduced. If I were in her shoes, I'd do the same... wouldn't you?

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Twilight_guy said:
Hum, wonder why they pleaded guilty? Do they feel responsible? Is there a deal going on with the police? Are they arrogant as all hell? I'll probably never know.
Probably because they are scared shitless. They're a pair of kids who broke very serious laws against massive corporations, and it was all a game to them because they had the anonymity of the internet to hide behind.

Suddenly the FBI kicks down their front door and it's not a game any more... it's the real world. Long, drawn out interrogations from the Police and the FBI, threatened with many years in horrible jails, locked in a cell for the rest of your time in custody... serious shit. I'd be utterly terrified in that situation.

It's not like they're old, wisened Mafia dons that you see in the movies, sitting in the interrogation room in stoic silence. ;-)

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Buretsu said:
viranimus said:
I find it incredibly interesting that laws exist that protect corporate ineptitude as well as corporate greed but we can take a year to focus on punishing those evil evil hackers that are manipulating everyone out of their money, demanding digital distribution as a means to undermine economic stability and then subject personal information obtained through that campaign to easy unsolicited access.... oh wait, thats not right.
I find it incredibly interesting that people feel that criminals should get a free pass because 'fuck big corporations'.
+1.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
Not even slightly sorry for them.

Hate the lot of them, glad at least some of them are getting their comeuppance.
Totally agree.

My favorite part of this whole thing was the "Arrest us. We dare you." tweet, which then saw them get arrested. Awesome! :)

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
DugMachine said:

They will get about 2 years, but with a guilty plea they will only serve 8 months. They will end up in an low security open prison, i.e. very few locked doors, tv, toilet and washstand in every cell and xboxs(with no internet) to play with. They aren't going to face hard time in the UK.

However I hope they spend the next 10 years or so getting extradited, tried and jail time to every country they played silly buggers in.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Asperger's Syndrome sufferer
If this wasn't on the internet, I might've taken offense to that. Now I am merely concerned.
You portray it like a disease one would detest. How is Asperger even relevant to the topic?

I also did not find any mention of his syndrome at the source page. Please tell me this isn't name-calling by the Escapist.
It was probably from another article.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Xaio30 said:
Grey Carter said:
Asperger's Syndrome sufferer
If this wasn't on the internet, I might've taken offense to that. Now I am merely concerned.
You portray it like a disease one would detest. How is Asperger even relevant to the topic?

I also did not find any mention of his syndrome at the source page. Please tell me this isn't name-calling by the Escapist.
It was probably from another article.
Cause their lawyer thinks it will get them off scott free.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Li Mu said:
viranimus said:
And exactly what "crime" was committed? Overloading a server with trivial data requests? I wasnt aware that was exactly made a crime.
This has been a crime for a long time, whether you were aware of it or not.

These kids may or may not have broken "laws"
Nope, they definitely did break laws. Even if you don't agree with the law, it's still a law.
Much as I said, I was not aware that overloading a server with traffic was made a crime. Would you care to cite the source of the longstanding US law that makes it illegal to overwhelm a server please so as I do not make this error again?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I hope they don't get extradited.

The US government and legal system is just in this weird place at the moment, driven by fear, paranoia and even some genuine concern, and these poor bastards would probably end up getting tried as terrorists and sentenced to 25 years in maximum security.

No offence intended to any americans reading this, but right now I simply would not trust your legal system to approach this in a measured way, with punishment proportionate to the crime.