Two LulzSec Members Plead Guilty To DDOS Attacks

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Ogargd said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Ogargd said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Why does it matter if he goes to prison there or in the US if he's still going in prison anyway?
US prisons are notorious around the world for their poor treatment of prisoners and often harsh sentencing, and the fact that in the US friends and family won't be able to visit him.
So basically the FBI wants to make him suffer for humiliating them.
Putting it like that makes it sounds a bit more acceptable to do =P but due to his mental illness and possible mental fragility I hope they just let him stay in England, ethically speaking.
Agreed. He's already caught and in jail. It's done let him stay there.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
80Maxwell08 said:
Ogargd said:
80Maxwell08 said:
Why does it matter if he goes to prison there or in the US if he's still going in prison anyway?
US prisons are notorious around the world for their poor treatment of prisoners and often harsh sentencing, and the fact that in the US friends and family won't be able to visit him.
So basically the FBI wants to make him suffer for humiliating them.

I'm totally with them if they want to do that. You can't invite them to do something then hide behind "Aspergers" when it suits. Do the crime, do the time, etc.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
LastGreatBlasphemer said:

I don't see the relevance of this statement. It's supposed to be harder to DDOS Sony? Please elaborate, you've lost me on this one.
Ok Ill elaborate this one.

A website costs money to keep up and running, especially when high traffic is involved.
Yes it costs money to keep a website up and running, but a company like sony runs their own independent servers, so they are not going to charge themselves more to run their own servers just because of failing to meet traffic spikes. Sonys servers cost them the same to own/operate if they are up and running at 100% capacity or completely offline. So being overran by LOIC zombies has no actual bearing financially.

Beyond that... Despite how people think, the internet is not a physical place. Trying to apply logic of the physical world does not always work in the digital. The issue is far more complex than protesters and picket lines, or stay off my lawn. Thats why you cant simply apply physical world charges to the realm of the digital because it is not the same thing.

If we need anything, what we need is something to put a stop to the shenanigans that prompted the formation of lulzsec. Lulzsec didnt just form literally just for the lulz. It formed as a direct consequence of Sony's actions. You treat the cause, not the effect and most of what prompted lulzsec to do what they did all circles back to what Sony tried to pull with the PS3 jailbreak and their detailed chorus line of sphincterocity that followed. Had Sony not been allowed to continue litigation and laughed out of court like the should have been given the already recently concluded jailbreaking precedent, you would have never seen lulzsec at all.

On the rest of the dissection, youve stated your opinion, ive stated mine, it would be repetitive to continue to speak on it.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
And the lesson of the day is "Don't dare someone to kick you in the ass while you're shitting on their lawn", kids. Of all the sad and groan-worthy things announced as news on this site (just like the real world!), egging the police on to arrest you while you're being accused of doing something illegal is one of the most Darwin Award-worthy of late.

At least the smartass got what he asked for, so there's some good to be had here.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Eveonline100 said:
i agree with you on the 2nd point you make but (being a guy who isn't a computer expert) explain to me how take down the CIA website without hacking into their computers.
A DDOS is a distributed denial of service. Basically it's like visiting the escapist on some wednesdays - there are a lot more computers requesting to download zero punctuation than the server can handle, so it can only fulfill some of those requests, meaning not everyone can access the site. When a hacker group DDOSes, they generally rent a botnet of computers with malware on them, and access the same page several thousands times every second. The idea is to flood the server with requests so fast that it can't tell which ones are genuine.

Compared to something like an XSS vulnerability or an vulnerable version of apache (server software), where you would probably have to write your own code and take a lot of things into consideration before hacking a site, a DDOS is the equivalent of pressing a big red button and then going to twitter to shout about how 1337 you are. It doesn't have any long-term effects but loses revenue for sites & is annoying as hell for the people in charge of the computers.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
I couldn't find the clip from V for Vendetta so i'll qoute it;

"Not so funny now is it, funny man?"

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Hang on. One or more of these LulzSec brats are Aspies?

Suddenly this all makes so much more sense now! *has Aspergers too*

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Asperger's Syndrome sufferer, Cleary, who is being...
As someone with PDD-NOS, I don't approve of this phrasing. No one with Autism, Asperger's, or PDD-NOS suffers from it. There are problems that arise, but they can all be worked around to an extent. Any suffering only comes from frustrations that derive from not having found a way to work around the disability, not the disability itself.

Besides, mentioning that he has Asperger's added nothing to the article. It seems more like an attempt to keep the readers interested by mentioning a strange! and bizarre! disability. It makes me think of the same mentality that led to the saying, "If it bleeds, it leads."

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"Arrest us. We dare you," the (ugh) hacktivist group tweeted [https://twitter.com/LulzSec/status/93093868379193344] back in July of last year.

The authorities did exactly that.
I think this is the single most gratifying thing I have read on the internet in YEARS!

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Penguinis Weirdus said:
Its true I'm currently doing it for my degree. Hacking is a less awesome than the films make it out to be, still fun and you learn groovy things about computers but its not like the movies at all.
DiamanteGeeza said:
If the latter, then his defense lawyer is probably clinging onto every last straw she can to have his sentence reduced. If I were in her shoes, I'd do the same... wouldn't you?
I'm pretty sure if you wouldn't you're professionally obligated to quit.

Penguinis Weirdus

Mar 16, 2012
Dags90 said:
I'm pretty sure if you wouldn't you're professionally obligated to quit.
Under UK employment law and contract law, you cannot be fired for refusing to carry out illegal actions and they cant make you sign a contract that breaks the law, and if it does (this bit I'm not sure about so bear with me) those parts that are illegal you aren't obliged to carry out.

I'm presuming the US has similar laws

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Penguinis Weirdus said:
Under UK employment law and contract law, you cannot be fired for refusing to carry out illegal actions and they cant make you sign a contract that breaks the law, and if it does (this bit I'm not sure about so bear with me) those parts that are illegal you aren't obliged to carry out.

I'm presuming the US has similar laws
I'm not sure what that's referring to. I was specifically referring to the fact that, under U.S. law, a lawyer is obligated to put forth the best defense possible. I'm assuming the UK has similar protections.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
GiglameshSoulEater said:
Well, at least America haven't actually nicked these (like that innocent guy a while back), and let us handle them.
Lethos said:
Why do all the hackers I read about end up being British? Does this country have some sort of hacker-child training programme or what?
Well, I have seen a university course for 'ethical' hacking. No joke.
Ethical hacking is a completely legitimate way of hardening a system against attack. I used it at my last position to harden our systems as we were increasingly seeing anomalous contacts from China.

As for credit card details being stolen, blame the folks holding those details originally - they're the ones with a responsibility to secure those details. That means NOT storing them unencrypted.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
nightwolf667 said:
I can't get rid of the ADD (and I don't want to). I'm not going to get better, I can modify my behavior to make someone else more comfortable, but it's not some segmented separate part of my personality.
Nor should we - it's part of what makes us excellent multi-taskers and lateral problem-solvers - we operate on multiple levels simultaneously.