Two quick questions

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
1) so, I am an atheist and I want to convince religious people that their view is wrong. I want to crush their views so that they realize how wrong they are. Am i a bad person?

2) so I love the show "whose line is it anyway" but I can't buy it in any stores in Norway. I tried looking sites where i could order the seasons online, but they are locked to a region. I think it's locked to USA or something.
anyways, hypothetically could I Pirate the seasons with a clean conscience?

I DO NOT PIRATE ANYTHING!! IT'S JUST A QUESTION!! (gotta watch out for the banhammer)

EDIT: OK crushing their view was a poor choice of words. I don't really want to crush it as much as I want people understanding that getting every animal on an ark is fucking impossible.

and I don't actually go around convincing religious people that they are wrong. I haven't even gotten in a situation where I have discussed religious belief

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
If you watch the dvds on your computer, region locks normally don't matter.
At least if you have VLC or MPC-HC.

As for the whole atheist thing: Wanting to do things doesn't make you a bad person. Doing things does.
Trying to convert someone does not make you a bad person either.
Being inconsiderate and hurtful does.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
3) Here's this link that I found on reddit which I will post on the escapist, because no-one who visits these forums could possibly go anywhere else on the internet. Furthermore, I will use exactly the same title, quote the same article, and add nothing to the discussion whatsoever.

OT:

1) Yes.
2) Morally it's fine, legally it's not.

Mayhaps

Mar 8, 2012
1) That's a complicated issue...

2) I think that's a question you need to ask yourself.

Starnerf

The X makes it sound cool
Jun 26, 2008
The UK version was already linked, but if you want the US version of WLIIA, you can get it here. [http://www.amazon.com/Whose-Line-Is-Anyway-Uncensored/dp/B000T28PZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335266944&sr=8-1]

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Hitchens loved to crush people's religious beliefs.
Do you consider him a bad person?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
1. That's awfully juvenile of you to feel that way. Think of it like this: http://xkcd.com/386/
Not to mention, being convinced that you're right opens your up to plenty of scrutiny yourself.

2. Its your conscience, but if you have to ask others if its alright, that may well mean that you think its wrong and you're looking for others to soothe your guilty jiminy.

malmodir

Jul 12, 2010
Trying to convince someone of your opinion is not a bad thing. As long as you stay with arguments.
On the other hand your view of their view being wrong is wrong. This whole thing is a matter of faith. There are no facts which support any side in the fundamental question: The existence or nonexistence of one or more gods/godlike entities. So if you are an atheist or any kind of theist is completely based on your personal believes and nothing else. Looking down on theists is a condemnable act of ignorance. It's the same as when for example a christian thinks he's better than a jew.

Don't get me wrong I'm on no side in this arguement but my own. In my opinion both theists and atheist need a lot more tolerance. In matters of faith no one is wrong in the end.

My personal problem with atheists is that most of them think their believes are science proven facts and this is simply wrong. The only scientific fact about the matter is that the existence of one or more gods/godlike entities it's neither falsifiable nor verifiable.

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
Jonluw said:

As for the whole atheist thing: Wanting to do things doesn't make you a bad person. Doing things does.
if watching whose line is it anyway on VLC works then I know what I will be doing for the next weeks ^^.

so no to the trying to convince the religious people?

Daystar Clarion said:
I can't be the only one who loves the irony in that post...

It's friggin' killing me over here.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean?

ClockworkPenguin said:
When religious people are annoying its because they think their God told them to. What's your excuse?
uhm.. What makes you say that I'm annoying?

Erana said:
1. That's awfully juvenile of you to feel that way. Think of it like this: http://xkcd.com/386/
Not to mention, being convinced that you're right opens your up to plenty of scrutiny yourself.

2. Its your conscience, but if you have to ask others if its alright, that may well mean that you think its wrong and you're looking for others to soothe your guilty jiminy.
1) well, in my defense I am 17.. and yeah i know it is kind of stupid to think this way which is why I never actually do it.

2) I guess. I don't like to pirate things, but I really love the show. and what the hell is jiminy?

capcha (or however you write it): bond, james bond

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Cyfu said:
Jonluw said:

if watching whose line is it anyway on VLC works then I know what I will be doing for the next weeks ^^.

Noone's trying to stop you from convincing religious people that their stance is wrong.
What we're saying is that you shouldn't be an ass about it, and you shouldn't force it on them.
You can still tell religious people "I think your opinion is wrong and I'd love to discuss it with you."

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
Cyfu said:
Jonluw said:

Daystar Clarion said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean?

ClockworkPenguin said:
When religious people are annoying its because they think their God told them to. What's your excuse?
uhm.. What makes you say that I'm annoying?

Erana said:

1) well, in my defense I am 17.. and yeah i know it is kind of stupid to think this way which is why I never actually do it.

2) I guess. I don't like to pirate things, but I really love the show. and what the hell is jiminy?

capcha (or however you write it): bond, james bond
By 'being annoying' i meant evangelising at people who don't want to hear it.
also, jiminy probably refers to jiminy cricket, Pinocchios conscience.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

This might be a good time for me to approach you for funding about my torture device that converts psychological and emotional pain into physical pain.

Fission systems adapted for use of Thorium are so damn pricey these days, and there are only so many horribly mutated underlings I can take before buying these things from eBay and Craig's List is no longer an option...

captcha: evil genius

Exactly.

Perhaps too exact....

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Cyfu said:
1) so, I am an atheist and I want to convince religious people that their view is wrong. I want to crush their views so that they realize how wrong they are. Am i a bad person?

2) so I love the show "whose line is it anyway" but I can't buy it in any stores in Norway. I tried looking sites where i could order the seasons online, but they are locked to a region. I think it's locked to USA or something.
anyways, hypothetically could I Pirate the seasons with a clean conscience?

I DO NOT PIRATE ANYTHING!! IT'S JUST A QUESTION!! (gotta watch out for the banhammer)
1.) Maybe (only if you act on it). If you are an atheist why care what they believe? let them believe it and waste their Sundays in church if they want to.
You would be a bad person if you tried to disprove all religious peoples beliefs, just because you thought they were wrong. But when the crazy conversionist people, start saying stuff like "if u dont luv Jesus u go to hell 2 burn" then just tear them down. Leave the people who are just getting on with their religious things, without mouthing off alone.

2.) Try a British one I don't think they are locked.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
1. That would make you no better than people who try to convert people to religion.

2. Pretty sure a lot of it's on Youtube. Otherwise your business is your business.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
1. No, that's not very nice. People are entitled to their opinions on religious and spiritual matters, even if you find them to be incredibly stupid opinions. As long as their beliefs don't intrude on yours, leave them alone.

2. HYPOTHETICALLY, if there is absolutely no way to legitimately purchase it then you could argue that you have some moral ground to do that. Buy something else from the company to make up for it if you feel that strongly about it.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
imahobbit4062 said:
Taking bets on how long this thread will last. Anyone care to join?
Do you always have to be this facetious? why not constructively join in for a change. Instead of just trying to piss all over peoples posts?
I am not trying to be offensive or upset you, just asking if you will try to be a bit more harmonious.