Two quick questions

FabiotheTurtle

Dec 17, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
Taking bets on how long this thread will last. Anyone care to join?
6 bits, my good lad.

In all seriousness, yes, that kind of makes you a dick. That's what they believe, that's what you believe, leave it like that, eh?

And I have no freaking idea.

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
FabiotheTurtle said:
imahobbit4062 said:
Taking bets on how long this thread will last. Anyone care to join?
6 bits, my good lad.

In all seriousness, yes, that kind of makes you a dick. That's what they believe, that's what you believe, leave it like that, eh?

And I have no freaking idea.
I think this thread lasted longer than than he thought it would ^^

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
JoshTheREfan said:
1.Yes. You're just as bad as a religious person trying to enforce their opinion on the "nonbelievers" and damning them if they don't. I believe that unless you want to come of as a jerk it's best to keep your views to yourself.
Actually I'd say it's worse than when religious people try to indoctrinate others. At least theists have a logical justification for trying to convert people: they're trying to save their soul from eternal damnation. In that respect it actually seems quite reasonable (and generous)of them.

For an atheist, who doesn't believe in an afterlife, there's no real reason for you to want to convert others. In your eyes their fate is the same either way. So basically you're being a dick just to be a dick.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Crush their views! Show how wrong they are! From your OP it sounds like you're the atheist equivalent of the religious extremists that want to do the same but from the your later posts really you just want to point out that evolution is more than 'just a theory.' I would take more caution in what words you use next time because crush sounds fanatical. It's the type of language the Imperium of Man would use in Warhammer 40,000. Yes Warhammer 40,000.

J3bba

Dec 7, 2010
It makes you intolerant which I suppose makes you a bad person.

You could always pirate it and then send a cheque to the appropriate people explaining your dilemma, that's what I did with Risen and that worked out fine.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Cyfu said:
1) so, I am an atheist and I want to convince religious people that their view is wrong. I want to crush their views so that they realize how wrong they are. Am i a bad person?

2) so I love the show "whose line is it anyway" but I can't buy it in any stores in Norway. I tried looking sites where i could order the seasons online, but they are locked to a region. I think it's locked to USA or something.
anyways, hypothetically could I Pirate the seasons with a clean conscience?

I DO NOT PIRATE ANYTHING!! IT'S JUST A QUESTION!! (gotta watch out for the banhammer)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whose-Line-Anyway-Series-1-2/dp/B000V6AEYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335431621&sr=8-1

Here you go, hurry there's only 3 left in stock. I use this site all the time and as long as you stay under 200 and somewhere around 150-160 you get free shipping and no hidden fees. Also you need to subtract 20% of the price from the listing price because their VAT is supposed to be replaced by our VAT.

Also let people believe what they want to even if it's wrong. There's no reasoning with most of them and you're just going to end up frustrated. Religion is based on no known facts and the worst of the religious people will either have propaganda facts about science or know nothing of it while thinking they do know something.

Bjorni

Apr 26, 2012
I don't think this guy wants to ''crush'' their fate in God, he just thinks it's laim.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Cyfu said:
1) so, I am an atheist and I want to convince religious people that their view is wrong. I want to crush their views so that they realize how wrong they are. Am i a bad person?
Seems kinda dickish. And really, what does it matter to you if they believe the Noah fable is real?

2) so I love the show "whose line is it anyway" but I can't buy it in any stores in Norway. I tried looking sites where i could order the seasons online, but they are locked to a region. I think it's locked to USA or something.
That's the funny thing about consciences. Maybe you could, maybe you couldn't. You'd still be violating the law as far as I know, and you'd be violating the artist's right to their property. If piracy is an acceptable alternative than you are allowing the artist to be undercut in negotiations, and that really should be considered an ethically poor thing to do.

But people justify piracy because "I don't want to pay for it," so while I can speak to what I think is questionable, only you can answer the question of "how do you sleep at night?"

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Cyfu said:
Seems kinda dickish. And really, what does it matter to you if they believe the Noah fable is real?

That's the funny thing about consciences. Maybe you could, maybe you couldn't. You'd still be violating the law as far as I know, and you'd be violating the artist's right to their property. If piracy is an acceptable alternative than you are allowing the artist to be undercut in negotiations, and that really should be considered an ethically poor thing to do.

But people justify piracy because "I don't want to pay for it," so while I can speak to what I think is questionable, only you can answer the question of "how do you sleep at night?"
The problem is I never would have bought that in the first place, because I can't. or if I did I wouldn't be able to watch it and what's the point then?

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
OlasDAlmighty said:
JoshTheREfan said:
1.Yes. You're just as bad as a religious person trying to enforce their opinion on the "nonbelievers" and damning them if they don't. I believe that unless you want to come of as a jerk it's best to keep your views to yourself.
Actually I'd say it's worse than when religious people try to indoctrinate others. At least theists have a logical justification for trying to convert people: they're trying to save their soul from eternal damnation. In that respect it actually seems quite reasonable (and generous)of them.

For an atheist, who doesn't believe in an afterlife, there's no real reason for you to want to convert others. In your eyes their fate is the same either way. So basically you're being a dick just to be a dick.
When you put it like that then I guess it does make obnoxious atheists slightly worse than theist recruiters. Though to be fair I think both groups can be just as annoying as the other.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Cyfu said:
The problem is I never would have bought that in the first place, because I can't. or if I did I wouldn't be able to watch it and what's the point then?
I'm not sure how that really puts forth any argument for piracy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
OlasDAlmighty said:
Except there really is no logic behind that.