U.K. Professor Blames Facebook for Syphilis Surge

Marcu5

Jun 24, 2009
I actually read about that this morning at work:

NO ONE EVER claimed that. The SUN only re-interpreted some citations to make some non-news more ineteresting non-news.

thin air + news media = bullshit

here's the story behind the story:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/rorycellanjones/2010/03/technophobia_facebook_and_syph.html

Nihilix

Mar 18, 2010
SnootyEnglishman said:
What kind of glue is this guy sniffing? If his logic is taken literally (which i'm sure some paranoid parents will) then reading the comics sections in my daily newspaper will make me go blind and using the internet will make me go deaf
don't forget the "anyone who plays GTA will go kill some hookers and cops"

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Wait you guys are ignoring the biggest point of the story

"Facebook can help you get laid!"

I'm signing up for an account now

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I think abstinence-only education/education against contraception would be more likely to blame for a surge in an STD than Facebook. Unless someone has invented an app that gives you an STD through your Internet connection.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
[blockquote]"Our website is not a place to meet people for casual sex," the rep added. "It's a place for friends, family and co-workers to connect and share." [/blockquote]

Get your head out of your ass, Mr. Facebook Rep please. We know what it was from the get go.

A place for teenage girls to act like sluts in front of a camera.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
AceDiamond said:
I think abstinence-only education/education against contraception would be more likely to blame for a surge in an STD than Facebook. Unless someone has invented an app that gives you an STD through your Internet connection.
Believe me, I'd rather get an STD rather than use Facebook's apps. Chances are someone's made a What STD are You? quiz.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
"There has been a fourfold increase in the number of syphilis cases detected with more young women being affected. I don't get the names of people affected, just figures, and I saw that several of the people had breathed oxygen within the past four days," Professor Kelly told the Telegraph. "Breathing oxygen making it easier for people to meet up for casual sex."

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
In an interesting twist yours truly is actually from Sunderland.

Thankfully I made a point of never talking to, eating with or looking at anyone in that god forsaken shithole.

Oh and I never use facebook.

These are some of the many reasons why I don't have syphilis.

Dark Angel Warlord

Mar 20, 2010
thats retarded! honestly its the people who dont use safe sex practices are at fault not facebook

thats like saying since they invented birth control and we have a STD or AIDS problem is the birth control makers fault

no dumbasses its your fault for not using protection when having sex with someone you dont know morons

Xhu

Nov 15, 2009
AceDiamond said:
I think abstinence-only education/education against contraception would be more likely to blame for a surge in an STD than Facebook.
The article is from the UK, where such things are far less prevalent, if they exist at all.

I can easily see Facebook putting people in touch with each other, people who later go on to transmit infections. Not exactly cause for blame - how people utilise a service is their own doing - but it does make the option more readily available.

I'd definitely like to know more before forming an opinion, though.

centauri2002

Mar 17, 2010
I'm not sure if it's the professor jumping to conclusions or the media making that step for him. Either way, it's only part of the statistics that matter. I'm betting if they looked at the education levels in those areas, there'd be more fitting correlation. Of course, if the UK had better sex education it'd help, as well.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
What an odd correlation. Next we'll be saying that playing Final Fantasy XIII almost doubles your chance of being able to summon Shiva in real life.

This is utter nonsense. Facebook's right here.

Quiet Stranger said:
HG131 said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Where the hell do they come up with this stuff??? It`s like that woman who thinks the Americans have earthquake machines in Antartica
Wait, what?!
Yeah, it was a topic like a week or two ago, some crazy scientist lady or something (Swedish I think) blames the USA for the earth quake in Haiti
You're right that such accusations were made, but very, very wrong about who made them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9QtZkT8OBQ

Hugo Chavez was the "crazy scientist lady", apparently.