U.K. Professor Blames Facebook for Syphilis Surge

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
Statements like these make me feel sorry for either the scientific community or journalism. This is a fucking travesty. Incidentally I found a correlation between violent crime and number of churches in a given city. Violent crime causes churches! Ban churches and violent crime will go away!

siddif

Aug 11, 2009
If Facebook can give us syphilis does that mean we need better antivirus software or that i should keep my dongle out of the ports?

Seriously though common sense should prevail, these people are catching it because the dont use a damn condom... IDIOTS!

Also this is why i use Twitter it only gives you chlamydia

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
It's really not THAT unreasonable. Social networking would make it easier for strangers to hook up for casual sex. It's a way of doing so that was not available in the past. It's certainly not proven, and there's a lot of research to do before you can be convinced of a causal relationship, but saying that Facebook has facilitated this is far, FAR from unreasonable. It's actually a pretty solid hypothesis. So who should we blame if this is the case?

Easy, the people who caught syphilis from unprotected sex, and the lack of information about the dangers of STDs.

Facebook may be facilitating this, but so what? Here's a similar, far more solid hypothesis: Death and medical problems caused by penicillin allergy's skyrocketed when penicillin was invented. Do you point fingers at penicillin? No. It was a beneficial invention, inevitable over the course of technological advancement. It is a good thing, and gives people options for improving there life. Naturally, there is undesirable side effects, but all it takes is a little education and preparation to avoid the worst of it. Facebook itself is innocent. But hey, maybe it's worthwhile to have parents (And other sources) teach there children that even with the additional temptation of social networking, having sex with strangers is still very dangerous. The UK Professor is just presenting the facts and a hypothesis.

chiadore1978

Mar 26, 2010
what a douchebag!!!i would think bars or prostitution would be a bigger concern!!!guess that's why i'm not a college professor huh!?!?!lol.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Grand_Arcana said:
Treblaine said:
Soooooo... can we start calling it Fu**Book now? :D

-snip-.
No we can't. There's already a fu**book.
Well a Google search confirms it (NSFW):

http://www.fuckbook.com/

Now I'd blame THAT more for spreading syphilis. Hell on the opening PAGE you see someone getting a "bareback mountain".

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
murphy7801 said:
oh who cares its a respectable sti anyway
yeah, it's a classy dick-rot, Howard Hughes had it and instead of going all skinny and getting cancers like with AIDS, you go CRAZY and ECCENTRIC and people make movies about you where Leonardo DiCaprio acts his damn pants off in depicting you.

But if untreated you end up looking like the Elephant Man though an intensive course of anti-biotic medicine is a sure cure.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Treblaine said:
murphy7801 said:
oh who cares its a respectable sti anyway
yeah, it's a classy dick-rot, Howard Hughes had it and instead of going all skinny and getting cancers like with AIDS, you go CRAZY and ECCENTRIC and people make movies about you where Leonardo DiCaprio acts his damn pants off in depicting you.

But if untreated you end up looking like the Elephant Man though an intensive course of anti-biotic medicine is a sure cure.
More the fact that one that that not that many people have it in the UK also as pointed antibiotics are simple cure so think the scientist should be more concerned with Chlamydia.
Also ment respectable because its very Victorian.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"Our website is not a place to meet people for casual sex," the rep added. "It's a place for friends, family and co-workers to connect and share."
God. I laaaaughed and laughed at that...

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"It's a place for friends, family and co-workers to connect and share."
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA...
Haa....
ha..

Geddit? Connect and share?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Facebook representative said:
Our website is not a place to meet people for casual sex. It's a place for friends, family and co-workers to connect and share.
Can't it be both?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Okay, someone needs better sex ed. First a professor blames Facebook for spreading an STD, and now trees have been cut down [http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/5079418.Trees_axed_to_stop_strangers_meeting_for_sex/] to stop people from having sex.

Should we contact the UN? Have some peacekeepers sent in to provide basic education to the benighted authorities?

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I wouldn't say Facebook is to blame. More like, a factor.
Also, since when has it been easy to hook up with people for casual sex through facebook? Unless you Friend everything with legs... in which case you probably don't need a social networking site to help you with the casual part of sex. :p

Besides, that's what Myspace is for.