U.S. Congress Shelves SOPA

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008

Success. For now, anyway.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
?That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.?

SOPA only rests. It will return.
An apt quote.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The bill is in a coma, what we need is a one-eyed assassin to come along and jab it with a needle full of poison to make sure it won't come back and hack us in to tiny chunks of flesh.

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
Genuine Evil said:
This is nice and all but Obama doesn?t exactly have a good track record when it comes to keeping promises.
The nice part here is that he didn't have to keep any promises. He just made a threat and people jumped to attention and fell in line.

But in this case, I really don't know what would have happened if it got to his desk. He probably has corporate sponsors who would want this thing passed, much like every politician. This being an election year, he probably would listen to them over us, the unclean masses, for funding purposes.

Cheeco88

Aug 13, 2009
I never would have thought Barack Obama would have saved the internet. OH HO, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE, NICE TIMING.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I figure if the Republicans win the next election SOPA will be rushed through and probably with even more powers.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
And the internet shed many manly tears...

Im so glad about this. But remember guys... it could easily come back and with more bullshit backing. So don't stop the good fight guys.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
So... does this mean all the sites aren't shutting down tomorrow? Awww, I'd have liked to see the public outrage :(

Though: Jay, no SOPA. Now on to that IP act...

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Jimbo1212 said:
What are you even on about?
When do you get lied to?
Stop with the tin hat rubbish and just admit you like stealing things.
My friend... i have never pirated in my life.
Not even once.
Not even for something i really wanted that wasn't available at all in my country (UK).
But yeah, guess i like stealing things herp de fucking derp.
You avoided my question.
When has the US govt lied to you about policies (which you can openly see the bills for)?

w00tage said:
Not to interrupt, but I just wanted to point out how right you are about the business side of things. In the end, the major benefit would be to the legal departments of companies, as they would have gained the ability to force sites like Youtube and Facebook into revenue-sharing arrangements in order to remain online.

They would also gain the ability to freely interfere with any competition based on frivolous "infringement" lawsuits. Because we're pretty much out of original stories, and copyrights go 75 years, most everything that can be said, filmed or sung bears some or a lot of resemblance to something that has already been copyrighted. These bills are like handing a license to sell protection plans to the Mafia - if you don't pay what they want, your business will suffer a little "accident" in the form of an infringement injunction. Assuming they don't just examine your business's market, dig up something from their own properties to take it over, and then file an injunction to slam-dunk you while they go steal your customers.

Re your take on pirates affecting you personally though, I have trouble believing that free publicity is bad for you, unless you're in the position where you wouldn't be receiving any recognition. You have to consider that the amount of people that will take something for free is many times greater than the people who would buy it for full or even sale price. Look at Black Friday shoppers, extend the sale to "everything in the stores is free that one day", and consider the difference between the number of shoppers on the free day and on a regular shopping day. I consider that analogy to give a fair estimate of the proportion of people who would pirate, but wouldn't buy.

Anyways, well expressed thoughts, and best of luck with your business!
What are you on about?
Have you even read the bill?

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
alandavidson said:
Thanks for the positive feedback, the business side is something people rarely look at.

w00tage said:
Re your take on pirates affecting you personally though, I have trouble believing that free publicity is bad for you, unless you're in the position where you wouldn't be receiving any recognition.
As far as free publicity, I have no issues with people uploading clips to YouTube and posting pictures as memes or whatever, because you're right in the sense that it actually helps sales. In fact, I actually encourage it, and have listed some of my shorts as "Creative Commons" for that very reason.

The issue comes in the form of sales vs. piracy. The best way to explain it is to use an example (and you just thought you didn't have to do story problems in math anymore!. I'll use a hypothetical film as to not break the forum guidelines.

I play the role of "Irish" in Half-Dollar Harry Goes to the Moon. It has a SAG low-budget agreement, meaning that I get paid around $500 per day on set (could get into the weird 30% taxation and paying your agent, etc, but that's not really the point of the illustration). According to the agreement, I am entitled to residuals from DVD sales, Television broadcasts, and streaming ad revenue. The numbers work to where I get around 2 cents per DVD sale, and 1 cent per TV or internet viewer. That's nicely bundled at the end of the month and sent to me in a paycheck.

But here's where piracy comes in. Let's say that Harry does really well, and around 1 million people buy the DVD in a month, and 1 million copies are downloaded via a pirate torrent in a month. That's a total of $20,000 that I never see, and need to make payments and go into savings, etc (there are many times that you live off of your savings as an actor because there is no work for you for a while). That's where piracy directly hurts and effects me. Direct loss of income. The best way I can really put is this: you're working, and you only get half of your paycheck because someone stole your product.

Don't get me wrong, I am very pro-streaming and YouTube, and I think that more studios should offer more content for free. Just on a personal note, I have bought more albums and movies based off stuff that was on YouTube than any other source. The marketing studies have shown that people will buy your product more if you offer some of it for free.

So if I make a movie, and you upload a clip that you really like to YouTube, or take my face and make it into a meme, or post a photo from the film online I'm not going to say anything because I know that it's actually helping to boost sales. But if you upload the whole movie, or make a torrent for it, I'll probably email you and talk with you about it, and ask you to take it down. Seriously, I don't like involving lawyers. If I have to, I will, but it's not the first step I make.

I hope that explained things for you, and it was clear enough (I have a tendency to get a little jumbled sometimes).
Well explained, but I think you missed my point. I was trying to show that just as the people who would flood stores to get something for free on one day do not flood the stores to buy it at full price the rest of the year, unpaid viewing does not prove that any sales were lost. That's not 20,000.00 that's been stolen from you, it's 1 million views of your work seen by people who deliberately chose not to pay you for it. Even though the store had the work available at full price (or even on sale) all year, all of those people went to the store on "free day" instead, so it's a far more certain conclusion that they never would have bought it at all.

In that situation, the only thing you can definitely say was on the table to be gained was publicity for the work, which at least is a measurable and positive effect. I'm not trying to defend the practice of unlicensed viewing, even though in an earlier post I admitted to it for the purpose of determining whether I wanted to buy the work. I'm just trying to debunk the (imo) completely false premise of equating unlicensed use of content to lost sales.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
mega48man said:
i feel extra proud for having written a letter to my congressman a while back :)
Had you actually read the bill or just went on crap rumours from the internet?

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
Pirating resulted in the PC gaming industry to lose over $1 billion. How are you working out that that is not costing them money? Do you really believe that if pirating wasn't available, none of them would buy the games?

You don't need a law degree to understand law, or a Bill. Show the part you don't understand and I'll explain it. Or just use google and a dictionary. Law grads are humans with brains, like you, therefore you can do the same things as them, including understanding a straight forward Bill. Though as I understand it and you don't, isn't it ironic you are telling me I'm the one with no credibility and yet you are arguing against a bill that you don't understand?

Ahhhh...
You funny.

Scientists are people too.
They have human brains.
Explain to me quantum physics.
In your own words.

Well, this has been fun hasn't it?

Also, stop making up stuff i haven't said.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Jimbo1212 said:
1) Didn't avoid the question, because the US government haven't lied to me.
They're just corrupt.

Also, i never said they had lied.
You made that up.

But then again, i'm tired of dealing with trolls now so...
Nothing is inherently evil- only man-kind.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Interesting how Gamespot and IGN, who are owned be CBS and Fox, didn't have anything really to say about SOPA.

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
I've been meaning to comment on this for a while. I've been reading various debates about this SOPA Act and I feel that I can stand firmly on the issue with a hearty and confident "Wait a minute."

It seems to me like both sides for and against the act overreacting WAY too much about something that in theory is supposed to be beneficial to everybody. I mean, it's called the Stop Online Piracy Act. Who would be so firmly against something like that besides the thieves that benefit from it?

But we've got screaming mouthpieces on both sides caring only about how it directly affects them. The proponents think the others are cold-blooded thieves that are stealing peoples' hard work and ideas and flinging it out to the masses without the owner's permission. Then you have the opponents who think that those on the other side are nothing but totalitarian dictators who are out to censor all free speech with scare tactics.

I have a YouTube channel under the same name. I have a music video posted there that I edited myself. I chose the music; I placed the scenes in the order presented. It came from my own mind. But I didn't create the footage (that's from the Darkstalkers anime). I didn't create the music (that's a song from a TLC album). I used two creations from other people to create that video. Like it or not, I'm specifically showing off their creations in a way they did not originally intend. And if they don't like it, they've got a right to tell me to take it down. But there is a difference between that and taking down a 30 second video of a baby dancing just because you can make out a Prince song playing in the background for half of it.

If you all are truly believe that online piracy needs to be dealt with, but that SOPA is the worst idea in the world, come up with a better one. And for those that say the safeguards that are already in place are good enough, they clearly can't be if a decision was made to try and make new ones. Here's an example: Your friend has mice running around in their house. They've tried to get rid of them using mouse traps, but they're still present. Now you've just talked your friend out of their crazy plan to get rid of them by burning their house down. What is your friend going to do? Go back to using the mouse traps that didn't work before?

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Jimbo1212 said:
1) Didn't avoid the question, because the US government haven't lied to me.
They're just corrupt.

Also, i never said they had lied.
You made that up.

But then again, i'm tired of dealing with trolls now so...
Nothing is inherently evil- only man-kind.
Yet again, you avoid the question.
So... if we were all lied to, what would SOPA do?
Because, y'know, i'm pretty fine about it not being enacted even if i believed you."

Read the bill.
It is very clear in its powers and you are going on rumours over truth.
And having an unsubstantiated argument in which you are unwilling to part from is far closer to trolling.

For.I.Am.Mad said:
Interesting how Gamespot and IGN, who are owned be CBS and Fox, didn't have anything really to say about SOPA.
Well they had the problem of 99% of people being ill-informed about the bill and unwilling to change their view.
It left them in the position of either saying " You are all wrong -learn to read", or say nothing.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
goliath6711 said:
If you all are truly believe that online piracy needs to be dealt with, but that SOPA is the worst idea in the world, come up with a better one. And for those that say the safeguards that are already in place are good enough, they clearly can't be if a decision was made to try and make new ones. Here's an example: Your friend has mice running around in their house. They've tried to get rid of them using mouse traps, but they're still present. Now you've just talked your friend out of their crazy plan to get rid of them by burning their house down. What is your friend going to do? Go back to using the mouse traps that didn't work before?
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make with the analogy above, but it does paint a good picture of what many opponents claim SOPA is. Burning the house may clear out the mice, but it also leaves you without the house, defeating the purpose you set out to do in the first place. The arguments arrayed against SOPA are IMO similar: a piece of law that could potentially do more damage than good, mostly through being a precedent for further legislation. With the difference that from what I can gather, SOPA would be largely ineffectual at stopping piracy.

I'm no fan of piracy, but I'm not with the authorities on this one either. No lawsuit or bill has ever succeeded at stopping pirates from distributing their goods. They've always just moved on to other methods, always leaving the law one step behind. Cut off one head and two more grow in its place, so to speak. I've read the Bill and nothing in it convinced me it would be the exception to the rule. In fact I cannot escape the thought that any direct approach to ending piracy is doomed to fail, regardless of any good intentions involved.

Maybe a different approach is required. Instead of fighting piracy head-on, companies and governments could try to beat the pirates at their own game. For example, find out why piracy exists and remove that reason. Or offer something better than the pirates can provide. Essentially, make them obsolete. Might sound stupid, but if it works, then it isn't stupid. At the very least trying something new seems IMO more sensible than stubbornly trying the same old methods that don't work, as the continued existence of piracy appears to prove.