U.S. Congress Shelves SOPA

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Xanthious said:
Well looks like all the fuss was for nothing and it turns out the sky, is indded, not falling after all. The bill never had a chance from the get go of making it out of The House (as I said it wouldn't multiple times over). I won't dispute it was horrible but it has absolutely ZERO chance of being put into law.

I guess now the internet can take a rest and get themselves ready for the next Bill/Law that gets them all in a collective tizzy and screaming about the end of days. At least watching people grossly over react is amusing I suppose. . . .
But arguably if everyone assumed that it wouldn't pass anyway, then it would. Said "overreacting" is what caused the bill to be withdrawn.
It's akin to calling people ridiculous for pointing out that if you don't clean your house it'll become a mess, because "it'll get cleaned anyway".

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Silly SOPA, you thought you could get by the combined will of the Internet and people with intelligence?
Shut down, and is good day to have Internets :D

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Time to kill PIPA, too. Also, is the blackout still going to happen?

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
The Cool Kid said:
Major Snip
I read the bill, as did my lawyer, and his lawyer friend, and another lawyer I know, and another, and we all came to the same conclusion:

SOPA is bad.

Yes, corporations would have to pay damages for improperly shutting down websites, as you have snidely reminded us throughout the entire discussion, but let's really break this down:

I own a company. It's pretty small and deals with a very niche market. Let's say that I decide to open a web arm of the company, and expand my market globally. Let's just say MEGACORP decides that I'm growing a bit too much, so they use SOPA to shut me down, albeit unjustly. Now, I'm not a rich guy, and the court proceedings would cost around two million dollars for me. MEGACORP won't feel that all, because they rake in well over a billion dollars per year, and they have lawyers on staff to deal with kind of stuff every day. I, on the other hand, don't make that much, and while the court proceedings go on, I'm forced into bankruptcy, and have to shut down my business and sell off my assets.

What have I won? I'll make the answer easy for you, it's a multiple choice: a. Nothing b. Nothing

Unfortunately, mega corporations do this on a regular basis already, and would only use SOPA to make easier.

And that's just on the business side of things. There are people on this forum who can go into great detail about how messing with the DNS system poses a major threat to cybersecurity.

And before you accuse me of butt-humping pirates, like you've been quick to do with everyone else who has challenged you, I'll let you know that I'm a professional actor. Piracy hurts me more than you know. I get paid to act in TV, Film, and Commercials upfront, but there's this little thing called "residuals". Every time a DVD of something I've done is sold, or a rerun of a show I've been in is shown, I get a paycheck. I depend on that paycheck for gas, food, utilities. Hell, I want to buy a house someday. Piracy makes being able to afford groceries pretty difficult.

I'm very against piracy, but I'm also very against SOPA and PIPA. There are better ways to deal with piracy.

Taking away civil liberties is not the answer.

Disasterpiece Press

Jan 2, 2012
The Cool Kid said:
SOPA may not have been a solution, but it certainly would have helped cut down piracy as joe-average isn't going to know how to work around DNS redirects. It hardly seems a criticism to say google, an extremely wealthy company, would of had to spend money to enforce SOPA. If they couldn't afford it, they would be exempt from the bill as laid out in the first section of it.
Piracy costs the industries we love billions and to see SOPA scrapped though mainly ignorance is just a sad sight showing how blind the masses can be.
So, wait. Let me get this straight.
You are advocating what would amount to a band-aid on the crack of a dam?
And you keep mentioning how much we "love" these industries, and how we are going to cost them billions of dollars? Yet, in the sentence directly above that one, you tell Google, an "extremely wealthy company" to pay the bill to help enforce SOPA? Wait, what?
And I'm pretty sure these industries aren't hurting for money. They aren't struggling to make ends meet on a week to week basis like a lot of us are.
If you are so concerned about people getting screwed out of their money, I know a cause you can take up - demand that the banks pay back the taxpayers all of the money they begged for before the collapse not so long ago, considering they were the ones that were dicking us over in the first place.
(And let it be said, I don't "love" these industries - I love the art that is sometimes produced by them.)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hell yeah! I must say it's quite nice to see Congress get something right for a change! So to the White House that gave the final push into the "nae" category, I say well said and well done.

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
CkretAznMan said:
Time to kill PIPA, too. Also, is the blackout still going to happen?
It should, if only to enlighten people about PIPA and future threats against the internet. This battle has been won, but the war's only just beginning.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AstylahAthrys said:
My biggest concern was for people like ThatGuyWithTheGlasses, Tobuscus and Cinnemassacare. They're the kind of people who would be affected by this law if the corporations got douchey. Politicians could say all they want that it wouldn't affect them, but in the end if the companies didn't like what they were doing, they would lose their jobs.
To be fair, TGWTG blew it way out of proportion.

That doesn't make the Cool Kid right, but your concern for those sites may be because they were hyping it up to such an epic extent.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
Irridium said:
Also, SOPA's still not dead. It could still come back. Don't be surprised if in a couple of months they try again, without heeding any advice from anyone. Plus, there's still PIPA to worry about.
Given the relatively little attention PIPA has received, I can't help but wonder if SOPA was a red herring. It's still not shelved, even temporarily, and there's a vote on it coming up pretty quickly. Besides, how do we know they're not just going to try again when they think we're not looking?

Feb 9, 2011
Finally. While this isn't a permanent victory, this is much needed good news. We can rest easy (for now). Finally politicians actually do something logical for a change and hopefully see this bill for the slippery slope that it really is...

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
DracoSuave said:
The Cool Kid said:
So you have read the bill then? If so then please tell me what the problem is with making sure pirating doesnt happen and increasing the penalties on importing dangerous and illegal goods.
If you truly cared about poltics and America you wouldn't wield false dichotomies like a cavalry rider wields his saber, cutting through intellegent discourse left and right with calculated cunning and unmitigated lust for slaughter.

Now, to address something you brought up:

Yes, you can persue damages for false action using the bill, however by the time you seek redress IT'S TOO LATE because that action has already resulted in the complete shutdown of your domain at a fundamental level.

Good luck funding your lawsuit, because your income has been stripped of you, along with your domain name, and any ways for you to do perfectly legal business.

It puts the onus onto the content provider to prove his content is legal before he can show it, rather than putting the onus on the copyright holder to prove the content is illegal. This is, of course, ASS BACKWARDS.

In order for holders of intellectual properties to stop, they have to display in the courts, using a preponderance of evidence, that their rights are being infringed. SOPA and PIPA give them a weapon that allows them to skip the requirement of preponderance of evidence, and go straight into action before it's been examined in a court of law. This goes against the central concepts of civil law.
Uh... What this guy said. In a Capitalist society like we are in, this law straight up doesn't work. It's essentially handing power right into the Billion dollar corporations' hands and saying to the small simple man "Good luck, have fun getting into the ring with this guy"

Jesus, I'm glad I don't have to jump into this argument....

OT: Yay!

But what about that PIPA thing?
PIPA is still on. We don't know if the WH was including that in their statement, but I'm hoping it does. I edited both of my letters and the petition I signed to include both PIPA and SOPA and sent them to all three congresspeople, so I don't know how much more I can do. Wish I could do something though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Miles000 said:
The PROTECT IP act is a Senate bill. SOPA was a House bill.
That means a completely different set of people are in charge of it.
SOPA was dropped to take attention away from PIPA!
To go anywhere, PIPA needs a House equivalent.

ianeddy44

Aug 17, 2009
While everybody cheers the shelving of the SOPA, it was never meant to actually pass. The reason SOPA was created was to propose an EXTREME "solution" to piracy and to censor. It was made so ridiculously draconian that everybody with a thinking head on their shoulders would oppose it. This would make the PROTECT IP act appear as a more feasible and reasonable proposition. It's a very dirty tactic and is quite underhanded, but that's politics and American law for you. Don't think for one second that we should pass PROTECT IP now. It remains as ignorant a piece of legislature as SOPA. Internet laws written by men who are less educated about the internet than 5 year olds should NEVER pass. This must be technocratically handled. I propose that a law is made to offer benefits to digital distribution (Steam, iTunes, Origin, Netflix, etc.) so that hey can offer their services cheaper. More customers will use those rather than a piracy network such as ThePirateBay, Demonoid, or BTJunkie. I've said it so many times before, but the solution to this is not to just ignorantly censor and hope for the best. That's very inaccurate and very sloppy. It will anger people and ruin things. Offering better and legal services is the key. Affordability, convenience, security, and benefits are key to this solution.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
alandavidson said:
The Cool Kid said:
Major Snip
I read the bill, as did my lawyer, and his lawyer friend, and another lawyer I know, and another, and we all came to the same conclusion:

SOPA is bad.

Yes, corporations would have to pay damages for improperly shutting down websites, as you have snidely reminded us throughout the entire discussion, but let's really break this down:

I own a company. It's pretty small and deals with a very niche market. Let's say that I decide to open a web arm of the company, and expand my market globally. Let's just say MEGACORP decides that I'm growing a bit too much, so they use SOPA to shut me down, albeit unjustly. Now, I'm not a rich guy, and the court proceedings would cost around two million dollars for me. MEGACORP won't feel that all, because they rake in well over a billion dollars per year, and they have lawyers on staff to deal with kind of stuff every day. I, on the other hand, don't make that much, and while the court proceedings go on, I'm forced into bankruptcy, and have to shut down my business and sell off my assets.

What have I won? I'll make the answer easy for you, it's a multiple choice: a. Nothing b. Nothing

Unfortunately, mega corporations do this on a regular basis already, and would only use SOPA to make easier.

And that's just on the business side of things. There are people on this forum who can go into great detail about how messing with the DNS system poses a major threat to cybersecurity.

And before you accuse me of butt-humping pirates, like you've been quick to do with everyone else who has challenged you, I'll let you know that I'm a professional actor. Piracy hurts me more than you know. I get paid to act in TV, Film, and Commercials upfront, but there's this little thing called "residuals". Every time a DVD of something I've done is sold, or a rerun of a show I've been in is shown, I get a paycheck. I depend on that paycheck for gas, food, utilities. Hell, I want to buy a house someday. Piracy makes being able to afford groceries pretty difficult.

I'm very against piracy, but I'm also very against SOPA and PIPA. There are better ways to deal with piracy.

Taking away civil liberties is not the answer.
Not to interrupt, but I just wanted to point out how right you are about the business side of things. In the end, the major benefit would be to the legal departments of companies, as they would have gained the ability to force sites like Youtube and Facebook into revenue-sharing arrangements in order to remain online.

They would also gain the ability to freely interfere with any competition based on frivolous "infringement" lawsuits. Because we're pretty much out of original stories, and copyrights go 75 years, most everything that can be said, filmed or sung bears some or a lot of resemblance to something that has already been copyrighted. These bills are like handing a license to sell protection plans to the Mafia - if you don't pay what they want, your business will suffer a little "accident" in the form of an infringement injunction. Assuming they don't just examine your business's market, dig up something from their own properties to take it over, and then file an injunction to slam-dunk you while they go steal your customers.

Re your take on pirates affecting you personally though, I have trouble believing that free publicity is bad for you, unless you're in the position where you wouldn't be receiving any recognition. You have to consider that the amount of people that will take something for free is many times greater than the people who would buy it for full or even sale price. Look at Black Friday shoppers, extend the sale to "everything in the stores is free that one day", and consider the difference between the number of shoppers on the free day and on a regular shopping day. I consider that analogy to give a fair estimate of the proportion of people who would pirate, but wouldn't buy.

Anyways, well expressed thoughts, and best of luck with your business!

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Hooray! We Fus Ro Dah'ed this dung heap into the next term, at the very least, which gives us, what? Two, three months of breathing room?

Don't back down now, people. It's been said before, but PIPA is just as bad. Go Antoine Dodson over it, spread the word. Keep at it.

There's a single, unique argument which The Cool Kid gets right, it being that some sort of compromise needs to be reached. The Torrent technology in itself isn't bad, it's what's being done with it that's reprehensible. The same applies with Usenet networks, ed2k servers or the old standbys like LimeWire. However, neither SOPA or PIPA are presenting fair solutions to this problem, and I honestly doubt that it's a problem that *can* be fixed.

The only catch-all solution I can think of is pure wishful thinking, at that: the publishers lower their price point and focus on quality over quantity. Ergo, more interest is garnered for titles that *deserve* the customer's cash-monies, and the customer gets his money's worth at a reasonable level.

With the advent of digital distribution, I just don't understand why there couldn't be a way for the latest AAA titles to be marketed at twenty or thirty bucks a pop. Is the sixty-to-eighty-dollar price tag that set in stone?

CAPTCHA: 1980 mélémen
"Mêlée Men"? Are these like Kung Fu superheroes? Are these the guys who beat up the evil personification of SOPA? If so, why did precisely 1980 of them?

It sounds like a bad Tsui Hark movie. One I'd maybe watch for shits and giggles.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Flight said:
Irridium said:
Also, SOPA's still not dead. It could still come back. Don't be surprised if in a couple of months they try again, without heeding any advice from anyone. Plus, there's still PIPA to worry about.
Given the relatively little attention PIPA has received, I can't help but wonder if SOPA was a red herring. It's still not shelved, even temporarily, and there's a vote on it coming up pretty quickly. Besides, how do we know they're not just going to try again when they think we're not looking?
When's the last time you heard something about COICA? Yeah that was "shelved" at the end of 2010. When these bills get shelved they get shelved because they have as close to zero chance of passing that makes no difference.

SOPA was nothing more than lip service to the entertainment lobbyists. It was never in any danger of passing into law. The collective uproar caused by the internet did fuck all to change anything.

These types of bills have come up and gotten shot down time and time again. Two years ago it was COICA. Last year SOPA was the internet boogey man. This year PIPA is still out there but it has about the same chance of passing as the last two. These bills rarely make it out of the committee phase nevermind an up or down vote by the entire House or Senate. As I said before these bills are just lip service and nothing more.