U.S. Government Proposes "Internet Kill Switch"

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I was sitting on the fence with this until they mentioned "Cyber 9/11" and they revealed the bill for what it really is.

firedfns13

Jun 4, 2009
Wouldn't that be counterproductive? Doesn't the Fed. Government want a way to get information to it's citizens in an emergency? They can't count on TV or Radio anymore because more and more people are like me and don't use either.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
GrinningManiac said:
HA! Loving the mocking, Mr. Chalk. Cyber-this and Cyber-that

Mr. Government,
[/i]You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means[/i]

OT: Is this just for the US? Cus I'm questioning why they would have any right to turn off British internet, considering A) They HAVE no right and B) We technically invented it
And we'll pull out of Afghanistan if they do.

Ha, why? Like some super-evil Lex Luger's gonna hack into US goverment computers si bad that a killswitch is pressed?

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Lizmichi said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Lizmichi said:
Oh my good lord. I can see it now, so we'll lose words in our language and they'll be able to listen to us threw our TVs. If anyone gets what I'm referencing I will be surprised.

Although this sounds like another knee-jerk reactionary scare story to me.
Yay someone reads. Someone reads a good book too. Yea I hope this is just a farce so I don't have to start making sighs and find some way to DC and protest this. Cause I will.
...and I knew I'd get beaten to it. -,- Okay, but it's time for round two. If 1984 plays on our fear which books dystopia plays on our pleasures?

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I was sitting on the fence with this until they mentioned "Cyber 9/11" and they revealed the bill for what it really is.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Hmm. How are they planning to implement this exactly? I'm wondering if this is where they got their definition of the internet from:

Edit:Grr. Embedding disabled.

ionpulse2

Mar 13, 2009
The trouble with all of this is that they can't just shut down the US internet. Yes, the internet was developed in conjunction with the British and several other countries, however, there is still a signifigant amount of hardlines and communications systems that are used to connect what is essentially "the internet" to the general public of the United States. Who owns these hardlines and sattilites? The United States.

An internet kill switch wouldn't be able to shut it down just like that with a virus or something, that just isn't feasible. What would more than likely happen is that when the order is given, all hardlines would be cut, essentially destroying communications with the sattilites. This would immediately cancel out the transmission of data from server to server, and shut down the internet. Would it only affect the US? The answer is a resounding FUCK NO.

Not every country can afford a communications web, so many countries piggyback off off the EU and US systems, thus avoiding the need to make their own. This is a problem, as the vast majority of these countries get that service from the United States, and if this kill switch were to be activated, the US and any other countries that use that comm system will be completely cut off from the rest of the world. Not only that, but a large portion of the internet's data is stored in US servers, which would devestate the internet if shut down. Even countries with their own comm systems would be affected, as many commerce and business sites are located on US servers, and a lot of foreigners and Europeans use US servers for their reliability and space.

Needless to say, that the very existance of this "kill switch" would be bordering on an international war crime. I can't even think about the abhorable disaster that could potentially take place if it were ever activated. Somebody seriously needs to step in and take charge of these incredibly unstable government officials.

Slythernite

Jan 25, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
Whaaaaaaaaaat?

This is insane. I cannot think of any event that is even remotely feasible that would require the entire internet to be turned off.
I remember that in some post-apocalyptic movie the internet was turned off. Don't remember why though. Maybe they're getting ready?

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Now it's time to setup our pirate IP stations. We each create a hacked wireless home moden and attach a massive antenna and a hacked torrent program on it.Whenever someone wants something snippits and bits from the website, people who already loaded the website, and people who are loading the website. They wave of knowledge will rush to them in a wonderful flurry. Don't forget to seed idiots. >.<

ionpulse2

Mar 13, 2009
Leiberman: I ACCIDENTALLY THE WHOLE INTERNETS!

The World: THE WHOLE THING?!??!

(EDIT: I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.)

darkroot

Jan 2, 2009
That flase and homosexual, misleading and bicurions, wrong and ....not straight. Screw the US goverment thinking it could just turn off the internet when it wan'ts to the internet does no belong to anyone if they mess with the internet the internet will just mess them the ____ up.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
feather240 said:
Lizmichi said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Lizmichi said:
Oh my good lord. I can see it now, so we'll lose words in our language and they'll be able to listen to us threw our TVs. If anyone gets what I'm referencing I will be surprised.

Although this sounds like another knee-jerk reactionary scare story to me.
Yay someone reads. Someone reads a good book too. Yea I hope this is just a farce so I don't have to start making sighs and find some way to DC and protest this. Cause I will.
...and I knew I'd get beaten to it. -,- Okay, but it's time for round two. If 1984 plays on our fear which books dystopia plays on our pleasures?
That would be Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley. Do I win anything?

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
thenumberthirteen said:
Don't scoff at the risk this could be Cyber 9/11 times 1000!

The trouble with the internet is it was designed to withstand Nuclear attacks. You can't stop the signal.
Wow, that would be Cyber 911,000!

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Cyber 9/11? How would that work? Do the terrorists attack a monument with a cyber suit or a cyberdemon? If so, we can just shoot it until it dies. Not joking though, the horrors of 9/11 can not be recreated on the internet. Mainly, people won't die, unless the terrorists somehow figure out how to turn our computer monitors into malicious floating cyber squids with chainguns and the screen filled with Osama Bin Laden's face. I doubt that.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
To me, this sounds like an ability to switch off the internet whenever free speech or free access to information becomes too inconvinient for goverments.

Is this something to take that seriously? It feels as if politicians attempt to make people paranoid in order to impose laws that work to their own advantage in some way.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
I just hope the cyber-officials can come up with some cyber-defense strategies for the cyber-events which cyber-threaten the cyber-lifestyle we've all cyber-become cyber-used to... cyber....

Seriously, "cyber" is to this article what "spcae" is to the Metroid series.

ionpulse2

Mar 13, 2009
Dalton Frantz said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Don't scoff at the risk this could be Cyber 9/11 times 1000!

The trouble with the internet is it was designed to withstand Nuclear attacks. You can't stop the signal.
Wow, that would be Cyber 911,000!
Americans: LEIBERMAN, WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT CYBER 9/11's POWER LEVEL?

Leiberman: ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The World: WHAT 9000!?