U.S. Senator: We Need to Look Into Anonymous, Pronto

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
I'm torn, and yes I can justify it.

On one hand, "hacktivism" is beneficial, by bringing attention to corporations that are essentially terrorists to consumers, like they did with Monsanto.

On the other hand, too many people don't limit how far they go, and people are going to get hurt.

By the way, no matter how much the US wishes it, they do not run the world, and must learn that if they try, they will be considered a threat to the rest of the world. The government needs to start treading waters carefully, especially when it comes to technology.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
strum4h said:
Signa said:
I like how kids on the net are now threatening the lives of the people in our country.
That is extremely exaggerated.
Yea, that was a sarcastic remark on the mindset of our dear senator. It's a sad day for liberty when kids on the net are almost as much of a threat to "national security" as Al Qaeda.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Clipclop said:
yes, Lets change the article. Lets take out that one thing, and add all the otehr terrible thing anonymous has done. Racists attacks, baseless attacks, rub them the wrong way and prepare to get slammed. They have backwards ideals that they constantly fold against, they are a force that needs to be wiped out. How are all those /I/ boards doing by the way?

edit: In before "they aren't part of anonymous" the usual convenient back peddle I constantly hear when addressing all the bad they have done. Ever think its a little funny how anons only take credit when anything good happens?

I hope the whole collective burns.
I sense a bit of sarcasm?

I never said that Anonymous are innocent. Of course they're not. The chaotic nature of Anonymous means that there are bound to be a lot of nasty shit happening. Although, Racist attacks? That seems unlikely... source?

My point is that just because someone has done wrong, that doesn't mean its ok to accuse them of something they haven't done. Sure they have done bad shit but the PSN hacking is highly unlikely to have been them.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
its funny how McCain still tries to make himself relevant in the news since he lost the presidency.

anyway, i'm under firm believe that unless you worked with computers as we know it, if you're over 67, you shouldnt talk about them. you just make yourself look foolish in the end.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
Let's be clear here. I'm an Australian citizen, I don't give a giant flying piece of fuck about American politics. I'll let you guys screw that up for yourselves. We have our own issues here.

Anyway, if I WERE American.. I highly doubt I'd be a Republican supporter. I've seen far too much stupidity from them (bear in mind, Democrats ain't much better, but they've at least got SOME sense..) That said, I LIKE what John McCain is saying. I've very rarely cared about anything that's vomited out of that man's mouth, but I like this.

I don't care if it's Anonymous, LulzSec, actual cyber-criminals (robbing online banks/MMO gold farmers, etc) or some other fuckwits.. This shit HAS GOT TO STOP.

It is NOT an issue of "free speech". Having internet freedom should NOT mean "We have the right to break into anything ever and do what we want because OMFG FREE SPEECH Y'ALL!!!" No. Bad moron. Bad. Fucking. Moron. This is exactly why we can never have nice things, Internet. Die in a fire, the lot of you fuckers.

Blackpapa

May 26, 2010
MattAn24 said:
Let's be clear here. I'm an Australian citizen, I don't give a giant flying piece of fuck about American politics. I'll let you guys screw that up for yourselves. We have our own issues here.
You do and in the global village of today those issues are likely to be addressed exactly like they were in the US or UK - double so if they are non-locale-specific, such as electronic privacy. After all the internet was invented in the US so why not transpose their legislature outright?

MattAn24 said:
I don't care if it's Anonymous, LulzSec, actual cyber-criminals (robbing online banks/MMO gold farmers, etc) or some other fuckwits.. This shit HAS GOT TO STOP.
Lulzsec is the last thing you should worry about. Their desire for fame and openly boasting about their hacks not only made damage control easier but also drew the attention of both law enforcement and rival hackers. The guys you should worry about are those who keep quiet.

MattAn24 said:
It is NOT an issue of "free speech". Having internet freedom should NOT mean "We have the right to break into anything ever and do what we want because OMFG FREE SPEECH Y'ALL!!!" No. Bad moron. Bad. Fucking. Moron. This is exactly why we can never have nice things, Internet. Die in a fire, the lot of you fuckers.
No, you fool, this is exactly the issue and you're failing to see it.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Government VS Anonymous is the same as Government VS the drug Mafia.
And we all know who won the war.
Lets just say that more and more governments are going to legalize drugs to prevent the mafia from earning.

I'm only a partly supporter for Anonymous. I support the same think that they do. Information freedom, and if the Government isn't going to give us our freedom, then we MUST take it by force. The Government is there to serve the people, not the other way around.

And I love how an old guy who probably doesn't know how to turn on a PC says "Yo guys, lets go and get those Anonymous guys. Piece of cake."

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
Wait let me get my chair and pop-corn, i want to see this shit-storm unfold right before my eyes.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
To be fair, McCain probably picked anonymous for recognizability on the issue, not actual threat level. I mean, how much of the typical republican base would be stirred into a digital patriot act by the PSN hack?

Not that I don't agree with him. Computer and internet security is a bigger and bigger isuee every day with increased dependance on the system to work on both ends. Yet we'd gotten complaciant on things. Sony and other big companies thought they were too big to touch while the rest of us quietly memorized a hundred different alpha numeric passwords while resigning ourselves to the reality we will probably still get a virus or one of our accounts will be hacked at some point. And as more and more information and services exists only in the digitasl cloud, the idea that some twerp can get in, access that data or cut us off from it (including this we paid money for) is very sobering.

Of course, as I said, I question the level of honesty in McCain's statement. Any government run internet police probably won't spend a lot fo time killing viruses, spam or lulzsec, or even the bigger theives, but rather focus on digital piracy and copyright infringment. I don't trust politicans on a good day, and I certainly look for the corporate manipulation behind any thing they say. At a time when we're looking at big cuts to the budget, starting any government beurocratcy seems foolish so I expect an ulterior motive.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
wait. i am confused. the guy wants to make a committee that would be good, then punish people for showign security flaws and goes into hunting people who should have statue built for them. that one is true politician, talks what noone can understand.

P.S. capcha: science fair hahahaha

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Wait wait wait... so the person deciding to take a legitimate and purposeful stand for America's cyber defense is John McCain??? (speechless)

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
I like how anon says that they are fighting for internet freedom of speech but their fear tactics are causing people to want the internet policed. It just makes me laugh so god dang hard.

XxSummonerxX

May 17, 2009
This is how I see the "Electronic security unit" or whatever in Washington.

Underling: Sir, another site just went down.
Overlord: TELL THE WHITEHOUSE IMMEDIATELY! THEY CAN VOTE ABOUT WHETHER WE SHOULD VOTE ABOUT POSSIBLY SENDING THEM A STRONGLY WORDED LETTER FOLLOWED BY POLICE!

OR:

Underling: Another site went down... we need an expert.
Overlord: Of course... call him in...
Expert: Don't worry gentlemen... I backtraced it, and I called the cyber-police. The consequences will never be the same.
Underling: Of course! It all makes sense now!

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
All I could think of this was, "You're kinda late... to be thinking that"

He probably forgot his password, and thought dang hackers stole my account! It's war!

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
I dunno. Personally, I'm all for what Anonymous stands for. And if we have to worry about internet regulation and people being sued for modifying their own property, then Anonymous is doing the right thing by fighting it. And I don't believe for one second that they were truly behind the PSN attacks. In other words, Anonymous are the good guys in this war.