U.S. soldiers killing Afghan civilians

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
RobCoxxy said:
Exactly. Although volunteers would fight to protect the country. Not invade another and shoot civvies. Admit it. A voluntary war would DEFINITELY have a higher ratio of nutters to regular people.
Better background checks are required, really. But that ain't gonna happen.
And this is based on studies, research and objective analysis? Or does it just "feel right" to say that anybody that would voluntarily put themselves in danger of eating shrapnel is a psychopath? God knows the only personality trait that would cause one to apply for a career with financial security, promises of higher education, complete healthcare and care for one's family can only be described as psychopathy. Glad you stopped by to give us your professional opinion, doctor.

Jazoni89 said:
The American army is full of those pretentious, and self righteous gits.

At least in the British army, you have to go through a background check, and have certain qualifications in order to join it.

In America their army is mostly full of idiotic school dropout's, and that's why this shit happens.

America please take note.
There is not a single branch of the United States military that currently accepts anything lower than a highschool diploma, nor is anyone allowed to enlist without scoring well on an aptitude test, and being subjected to exhaustive background checks for criminal history and any psychological/physiological abnormalities. But hey, thanks for sharing your ill-informed notion that merely being a soldier from a certain country automatically qualifies you as a drooling retard. Be sure to catch us up on what you learn from the next movie you watch!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Would probably help if you guys started remembering Vietnam right about now.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Misho- said:
emeraldrafael said:
War is war, and war is hell. These soldiers broke, and didnt act like soldiers. I hope they're punished severely.
Did you read the article? If not then "Cpl. Jeremy Morlock was sentenced to 24 years in prison for his role in the 'Kill Team.'" for example.
I did, but the whole thing ran together eventually after the alrge block of text. Sorry, I have trouble reading giant blocks like that.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
RobCoxxy said:
SilentCom said:
RobCoxxy said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The saddest thing? I wish I could say that I was surprised.
Summed it up perfectly.

As much as I hate to say it, the draft actually includes everyone (well, everyone who can't buy their way out) not just people who are much more likely to sign up "Just to kill people"
U.S. soldiers weren't drafted to fight in Afghanistan...
That's what I'm saying.

In a voluntary war, you sign up if you

a) have no other options (poor)
b) you're a fucking psychopath
Or you patriotic and wish to serve your nation? Some guys like the pay and like being outdoors.

OT: Nobody authorized this shit it's just some red neck who abused his military position.
The pay's shit and there's less deadly outdoorsy jobs.

Patriotism is defending your country or an ally from an actual threat (think WW1/2) not invading some far off sandy nation.

Tennou486

Dec 26, 2008
Its like in Vietnam, with the My Lai massacre back in the 60s. Stuff like this happens when wars go on too long. Its definitely tragic.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
RobCoxxy said:
SilentCom said:
RobCoxxy said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Summed it up perfectly.

As much as I hate to say it, the draft actually includes everyone (well, everyone who can't buy their way out) not just people who are much more likely to sign up "Just to kill people"
That's what I'm saying.

c) you love your country and join its military to serve it
d) you wish to make something of your life serving something greater than yourself
e) you actually wish to help people (in some cases)
f) you desire discipline and wish to make a good living working hard

Don't ever diss professional soldiers like that, you'll just look like a jackass, sure there are a few that are off their rocker but don't lump them together with those that joined for a good reason and do their job correctly.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
illmuri said:
Jazoni89 said:
In this space I will not draw conclusions on what we define "British" to mean.

At least in the British army, you have to go through a background check, and have certain qualifications in order to join it.
Heres a couple of examples of the effectiveness in your background checks:

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/feb2005/brit-f05.shtml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/7909740/Afghan-war-logs-British-troops-killed-dozens-of-civilians.html

In America their army is mostly full of idiotic school dropout's, and that's why this shit happens.
Heres a list of the various MOS and their requirements:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/tp/armyenlistedjobs.htm

Ignorant forum posters, please take note.

===

More on topic, the people mentioned in the OP article are bad human beings. Being American has nothing to do with it. There are bad people in any army. This stuff is found out and the people are punished.

If you are shocked, its hardly the first time something like this has happened.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Baghdad_(1258)
Why is it that every time i post some smug person wants to contradict me.

Admittedly im no expert on the subject, but i only know what i know, so take that as it is.

Stalk3rchief

Sep 10, 2008
RobCoxxy said:

Patriotism is defending your country or an ally from an actual threat (think WW1/2) not invading some far off sandy nation.
You do have a point, if there was an actual crisis and my home and family was in danger I'm sure I would sign up. What the soldiers of my country are doing now is just lining politicians pockets, there's no real reason for us to be there right now.
Anyways, well said.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
Jazoni89 said:

Wow, I'm sorry but did you even read what you wrote? First you slam the American army, calling them "pretentious" and "self-righteous," then the next line down you go on to tout the merits of the British army. You think the American army doesn't perform background checks? Really? And you're telling us that the British army is "sooooo" perfect that not a SINGLE soldier in your army's history has ever done anything despicable? Or are you just trolling? Or maybe you're bitter about a little thing we like to call the Revolutionary war? Haha. Honestly it's hard to tell what your thought process is here.

Croix Sinistre

Oct 25, 2009
moretimethansense said:
No officers were charged
Of course fucking not, god forbid that officers should have to take resposibility for the troops under their comand, every last one of them should be handed over to the local govornment for torture and execution.
I dunno, if its not their fault, its not their fault. These guys were going to do things when they obviously knew it was very illegal; they went to lengths to conceal this activity knowing that if their superiors knew, they would be stopped, not a matter of the leadership being irresponsible. Is is the officer's and senior NCO's fault that they got away with it for a time? Not exactly.

If I tell my soldier not to drink and drive, repeatedly, even go to lengths to prevent him from doing so, then he happens to do it anyway is that a fault of mine and the rest of the chain of command?

OP: just like motorcycle clubs a vast majority of the military population are law abiding, normal people, with an extremely tiny percentage being a bit on the mental side. A tiny percentage of those people are capable of doing something extreme, and an even smaller percentage actually do something. Don't get it into your mind that there are tons of american soldiers with the same will do harm this way, or even the mentality to give it serious thought, just because some jackasses took things too far.

Also, has no one noticed how these guys are all getting severely punished for their actions? Is no one noticing that the military obviously does not condone this stuff, AMERICAN does not condone this stuff? Why are people so stuck on the idea that the military is all about killing innocents and covering it up? happens and has happe(yes, i know it happened before, does't mean its prevalent)

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
Things like this happen all the time, and if the people don't know that doesn't mean it doesn't happen but it means the government is good at hiding it. A lot more people in Vietnam didn't get charged for a lot of the crimes they did that are horrific beyond any reason.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
RobCoxxy said:
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
RobCoxxy said:
SilentCom said:
RobCoxxy said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Summed it up perfectly.

That's what I'm saying.

Or you patriotic and wish to serve your nation? Some guys like the pay and like being outdoors.

OT: Nobody authorized this shit it's just some red neck who abused his military position.

They launched an attack on United States soil and have repeatedly shown hostility to the Nato forces in the Region. What do you expect them to do send pretty flowers and chocolates? The Taliban are the type of people who throw acid on girls just becuase they wish to attend school.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Jazoni89 said:

If I remember correctly, when you get called or signed, they take the top 3 percent of the nation. And of that 3%, only 1% actually "graduate" to go on to the United States Armed Forces.

Of course those numbers could have changed, but my grandfather told me thats what it was when I had to fill out the mandatory service card, and that was last may.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
SilentCom said:
RobCoxxy said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Summed it up perfectly.

My friend's boy friend went to Afghanistan, and came back abut 8 months later, she wakes up in the middle of the night to him squeezing her finger like a trigger in his sleep.

Canada has a program to re-integrate soldiers back into society, to make them stop thinking like weapons. A lot of people crack under what they do. This is just ONE example

Stalk3rchief

Sep 10, 2008
Jazoni89 said:
Why is it that every time i post some smug asshole wants to contradict me.

Admittedly im no expert on the subject, but i only know what i know, so take that as it is.
What you know is completely false. I live here, so I know for a fact America is far from the greatest country on Earth. But seriously, your just trying to insult our military with zero facts backing up a single thing you said. You could have at least looked into it a tiny bit before you said that ignorant shit.
The mistakes of a few dumb rednecks don't reflect on the ENTIRE U.S. military. And you're pretty much alone in this so please, educate yourself and then come back to the forums.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Stalk3rchief said:
RobCoxxy said:

You do have a point, if there was an actual crisis and my home and family was in danger I'm sure I would sign up. What the soldiers of my country are doing now is just lining politicians pockets, there's no real reason for us to be there right now.
Anyways, well said.
Thank you sir, for thinking about it.
There is nothing patriotic about being the invading force.

gcninja

Dec 26, 2008
Jazoni89 said:
illmuri said:
Jazoni89 said:
In this space I will not draw conclusions on what we define "British" to mean.

Heres a couple of examples of the effectiveness in your background checks:

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2005/feb2005/brit-f05.shtml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/7909740/Afghan-war-logs-British-troops-killed-dozens-of-civilians.html

Heres a list of the various MOS and their requirements:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/tp/armyenlistedjobs.htm

Ignorant forum posters, please take note.

===

More on topic, the people mentioned in the OP article are bad human beings. Being American has nothing to do with it. There are bad people in any army. This stuff is found out and the people are punished.

If you are shocked, its hardly the first time something like this has happened.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Baghdad_(1258)

Because what you posted was WRONG. You don't post incorrect information and get mad when somebody corrects you.
On topic, sometimes war is too much and people snap inside. Both my brothers went through and came out normal, but I bet I can ask and have each them tell me one or two people who cracked under pressure. The only this is these people didn't handle it well.