U.S. soldiers killing Afghan civilians

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Bad people living lives of constant mental and physical exhaustion, was gonna happen again. This will kick off bad US PR in Afghanistan, more people will want US soldiers dead, they in turn will see more enemies among the Afghani population and will just happen again. Sorry for the cynicism, but these events are nothing new in history. Happened in Nam, Korea, the US Indian Wars, and I can say with the utmost certainty other countries have had their fair share in the past too. It's sad and tragic yes, the soldiers should be turned over to a US tribunal and then an Afghani one too. Let the nation they dishonored hand them to the offended nation to dish out what will be very straightforward justice.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Oooh, I got a boner just thinking about the murder of innocent civilians!
- I guess that's what when through their heads.
Some people are fucked up. Some people are even more fucked up. And some people are just FUBAR. Like these guys, apparently. So it goes. Quite a lot of people die everyday, and quite a few of them to human what-the-fuck-is-wrong-with-this-person-ness. Not even remotely surprising, however sad it is.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Oscar90 said:
Weren't the 9/11 attacks done by people from several nationalities worldwide?
It was Quaeda man. It was not a conspiracy, it's just nobody wanting to admit a third world religious gangsters were able to attack a global super power like the US. People feel thinking safer thinking the US is in total control.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
duckfi8 said:
SilentCom said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42304341/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/?GT1=43001

There was an incident where U.S. soldiers planned out an execution of Afghan civilians. I for one was completely shocked. It's one thing if it was accidental, collateral damage type of thing, but it's a completely different thing if they planned to kill civilians. There is no reason for them to be doing so. This is the reason why I didn't decide to join the military. While I believe it is honorable to serve, to protect your country, this is one of the most dishonorable and shameful things I have heard about recently regarding American military personnel.
Does the enemy not do this to our soldiers? and if the Taliban was inside the US would they not do this to us?
That is by far the stupidest post in this thread. The "enemy" does it to your soldiers, but they arent unarmed civilians. And the people killed here were not Taliban , but Afghan farmers.
Plus: By defending this, you state that the killing of civilians is ok to you. well if thats your opinion, you shouldnt have a problem with the taliban in the first place.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
RobCoxxy said:
RobCoxxy said:
RobCoxxy said:
SilentCom said:
RobCoxxy said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The saddest thing? I wish I could say that I was surprised.
Summed it up perfectly.

As much as I hate to say it, the draft actually includes everyone (well, everyone who can't buy their way out) not just people who are much more likely to sign up "Just to kill people"
U.S. soldiers weren't drafted to fight in Afghanistan...
That's what I'm saying.

In a voluntary war, you sign up if you

a) have no other options (poor)
b) you're a fucking psychopath
Or you patriotic and wish to serve your nation? Some guys like the pay and like being outdoors.
Fetzenfisch said:
duckfi8 said:
SilentCom said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42304341/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/?GT1=43001

There was an incident where U.S. soldiers planned out an execution of Afghan civilians. I for one was completely shocked. It's one thing if it was accidental, collateral damage type of thing, but it's a completely different thing if they planned to kill civilians. There is no reason for them to be doing so. This is the reason why I didn't decide to join the military. While I believe it is honorable to serve, to protect your country, this is one of the most dishonorable and shameful things I have heard about recently regarding American military personnel.
Does the enemy not do this to our soldiers? and if the Taliban was inside the US would they not do this to us?
That is by far the stupidest post in this thread. The "enemy" does it to your soldiers, but they arent unarmed civilians. And the people killed here were not Taliban , but Afghan farmers.
Plus: By defending this, you state that the killing of civilians is ok to you. well if thats your opinion..
This too. Shooting armed men is "the job", shooting anyone else is cold-blooded murder. Especially if for "sport" like some Coalition troops.

OT: Nobody authorized this shit it's just some red neck who abused his military position.
The pay's shit and there's less deadly outdoorsy jobs.

Patriotism is defending your country or an ally from an actual threat (think WW1/2) not invading some far off sandy nation.
They launched an attack on United States soil and have repeatedly shown hostility to the Nato forces in the Region. What do you expect them to do send pretty flowers and chocolates? The Taliban are the type of people who throw acid on girls just becuase they wish to attend school.
Yeah, but how long did it take to actually move into Afghanistan as opposed to Iraq? (where the same shit went down with Coalition soldiers)

Plus, there's September 11, then there's invading, bombing, torturing, raping and murdering a fuckload of civvies over many years. Aaaand people wonder why we get bombed.
Give me proof of this raping, or murdering. Because I bet you 100% of the cases the people involved were arrested. Would you rather Saddam Hussein still be in charge?
For fuck's sake, man, it's usually on the news (well, not Fox, obviously) - bad shit that we do always ends up on the news. Just not the ones where America is the knight in shining armour.

Soldiers do bad shit, they get arrested. Hopefully. But we still do bad shit. Jesus Christ, way to ignore all the bad shit. Bloody hell.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Fetzenfisch said:
duckfi8 said:
SilentCom said:

Farmers with AK47's no less. I'm sure all the training camps are for farming too.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Fetzenfisch said:
duckfi8 said:
SilentCom said:

Farmers with AK47's no less. I'm sure all the training camps are for farming too.
They probably hid those Ak's up their arses, because no one saw them. Not even the murders that confessed their doings here.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
This sort of thing happens in War, regardless of the motivations behind said war. A conquest for territory, or a supposed liberation, this sort of thing is neither new nor uncommon.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
mikozero said:
/sigh seriously there was no need to address me except pride now i have to clarify.
SODAssault said:
There is not a single branch of the United States military that [HEADING=1]currently[/HEADING] accepts anything lower than a highschool diploma
It's cool, bro, two can play at that game.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
"Neither 3rd Platoon's commander, Capt. Matthew Quiggle, nor 1st Lt. Roman Ligsay has been held accountable for their unit's actions, despite their repeated failure to report killings that they had ample reason to regard as suspicious."

For someone who hopes to be an officer in that army one day soon, this is the worst part. The men who did the killing deserve harsh punishment, sure, but these two were the ones truly responsible. If you can't keep men from doing horrible things like this (or at least stop them from doing it again), you don't deserve your command.

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
Jazoni89 said:
The American army is full of those pretentious, and self righteous gits.

At least in the British army, you have to go through a background check, and have certain qualifications in order to join it.

In America their army is mostly full of idiotic school dropout's, and that's why this shit happens.

America please take note.
Funny how you take an overly hyped stereotype of the American military and pretend you're better. I wouldn't expect this kind of ignorance on a website like the escapist.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
RobCoxxy said:
For fuck's sake, man, it's usually on the news (well, not Fox, obviously) - bad shit that we do always ends up on the news. Just not the ones where America is the knight in shining armour.

Soldiers do bad shit, they get arrested. Hopefully. But we still do bad shit. Jesus Christ, way to ignore all the bad shit. Bloody hell.
What bad shit? Most of it is propaganda and ghost stories. War is never a good thing, but because of the United States Saddam is no longer ruling the country, Women can go to school and dress how they wish, and you don't see 8 years old kids with AK47's anymore.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Rayne870 said:
Don't let the acts of a couple of nutcases taint your views on the whole picture. Besides SilentCom if you were there you probably would have had the moral backbone to report them for a psyche evaluation. It is terrible and shameful what these have done and it really does suck that it is going to ruin the image of all of the good things that the military has done.
Really? What good things can you claim that the Army has done in the past sixty years?

Really, all of the shoulder-shrugging ``Ah, well`` attitudes piss me off just as much as the actions themselves. This is just fucking disgusting. And it`s not an isolated incident, if you read the article, you`ll see that this happens all the fucking time. And it`s not new to Afghanistan either. This shit happened in Vietnam all of the time, in Iraq all the time, and it`s gonna keep happening in Afghanistan.

These aren`t a couple of nutcases. This is half the Army we`re talking about here. This is almost as bad, if not worse, as what the Taliban has done in Afghanistan.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Can't say I'm too surprised it happened but what I found astonishing was them taking pictures as if they wouldn't at some point be made accountable.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Fetzenfisch said:
Fetzenfisch said:
duckfi8 said:
SilentCom said:

They probably hid those Ak's up their arses, because no one saw them. Not even the murders that confessed their doings here.
Proof? Link? Every farmer and his dog owns an AK over there. Your image of the Military is like Cobra.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
This is what happens when a bass-ackwards president involves us in a war that isn't exactly necessary, nobody credible signs up to fight, and they start accepting FELONS into the US Army.

Brilliant plan.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
T8B95 said:
Rayne870 said:
Don't let the acts of a couple of nutcases taint your views on the whole picture. Besides SilentCom if you were there you probably would have had the moral backbone to report them for a psyche evaluation. It is terrible and shameful what these have done and it really does suck that it is going to ruin the image of all of the good things that the military has done.
Really? What good things can you claim that the Army has done in the past sixty years?

Really, all of the shoulder-shrugging ``Ah, well`` attitudes piss me off just as much as the actions themselves. This is just fucking disgusting. And it`s not an isolated incident, if you read the article, you`ll see that this happens all the fucking time. And it`s not new to Afghanistan either. This shit happened in Vietnam all of the time, in Iraq all the time, and it`s gonna keep happening in Afghanistan.

These aren`t a couple of nutcases. This is half the Army we`re talking about here. This is almost as bad, if not worse, as what the Taliban has done in Afghanistan.
Like it or not Afghanistan was under an oppressive regime before Americans went in. It's not their business to go around and police the world and all but at least now the soccer fields are filled with women's soccer teams rather than women being beheaded or stoned to death. Women are now permitted to attend school over there as well.

It isn't half of the army and you need to bear in mind you will only get the sensationalist news. I suggest you go find more points of view before passing judgment on things.