U.S. soldiers killing Afghan civilians

Lopsided Weener

Fresh Meat
Mar 16, 2010
illmuri said:
Jazoni89 said:
The American army is full of those pretentious, and self righteous gits.

Heres a list of the various MOS and their requirements:
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/tp/armyenlistedjobs.htm

Ignorant forum posters, please take note.
I'd just like to point out that there are pretty much no big requirements (other than physical fitness) for the position of Infantryman.

ASVAB Score Required: 90 in aptititude area CO.

Security Clearance: None required

Strength Requirement: very heavy

Physical Profile Requirement: 111221

Other Requirements

* Color discrimination of red/green.
* Correctable vision of 20/20 in one eye; 20/100 in other eye.
* This job is closed to women.

That's taken from the link that you provided. Apologies if I'm reading something wrong, I have no prior knowlege, but you could at least read the links you provide.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
fedefrasis said:
The U.S Army is evil? OH MY GOSH, NO! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! Give a Pulitzer to the OP!
I never said the U.S. army is evil but I wouldn't mind a Pulitzer =D

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
RobCoxxy said:
RobCoxxy said:
SilentCom said:
RobCoxxy said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The saddest thing? I wish I could say that I was surprised.
Summed it up perfectly.

As much as I hate to say it, the draft actually includes everyone (well, everyone who can't buy their way out) not just people who are much more likely to sign up "Just to kill people"
U.S. soldiers weren't drafted to fight in Afghanistan...
That's what I'm saying.

In a voluntary war, you sign up if you

a) have no other options (poor)
b) you're a fucking psychopath
Or you patriotic and wish to serve your nation? Some guys like the pay and like being outdoors.

OT: Nobody authorized this shit it's just some red neck who abused his military position.
The pay's shit and there's less deadly outdoorsy jobs.

Patriotism is defending your country or an ally from an actual threat (think WW1/2) not invading some far off sandy nation.
They launched an attack on United States soil and have repeatedly shown hostility to the Nato forces in the Region. What do you expect them to do send pretty flowers and chocolates? The Taliban are the type of people who throw acid on girls just becuase they wish to attend school.
Yeah, but how long did it take to actually move into Afghanistan as opposed to Iraq? (where the same shit went down with Coalition soldiers)

Plus, there's September 11, then there's invading, bombing, torturing, raping and murdering a fuckload of civvies over many years. Aaaand people wonder why we get bombed.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Croix Sinistre said:
moretimethansense said:
No officers were charged
Of course fucking not, god forbid that officers should have to take resposibility for the troops under their comand, every last one of them should be handed over to the local govornment for torture and execution.
I dunno, if its not their fault, its not their fault. These guys were going to do things when they obviously knew it was very illegal; they went to lengths to conceal this activity knowing that if their superiors knew, they would be stopped, not a matter of the leadership being irresponsible. Is is the officer's and senior NCO's fault that they got away with it for a time? Not exactly.

If I tell my soldier not to drink and drive, repeatedly, even go to lengths to prevent him from doing so, then he happens to do it anyway is that a fault of mine and the rest of the chain of command?

OP: just like motorcycle clubs a vast majority of the military population are law abiding, normal people, with an extremely tiny percentage being a bit on the mental side. A tiny percentage of those people are capable of doing something extreme, and an even smaller percentage actually do something. Don't get it into your mind that there are tons of american soldiers with the same will do harm this way, or even the mentality to give it serious thought, just because some jackasses took things too far.

Also, has no one noticed how these guys are all getting severely punished for their actions? Is no one noticing that the military obviously does not condone this stuff, AMERICAN does not condone this stuff? Why are people so stuck on the idea that the military is all about killing innocents and covering it up? happens and has happe(yes, i know it happened before, does't mean its prevalent)
24 years is NOT a sitable punishment for the willfull MURDER of multiple unarmed civilians.

And it IS the officer's fault, he suspected something was up, he did nothing, they killed multiple people this way, he did nothing, that bastard is every bit as responsible as if he'd pulled the trigger himself.
Even if we assume he had no way of knowing beforehand, by not perfoming an investigation he allowed these bastards to kill more innocents.
On top of which the boy had been shot and disabled, the moment he hit the groud he became a prisoner of war, shooting injured hostiles is a war crime you know?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well what the hell do you think happens in wars, everyone caught in it will be shot at and a good deal of them will die.

People really need to grasp that real wars not some sort of fun pass time CoD like entertainment, there is always horrifying f*cked up sh*t going on (slaughter, torture, rape,...) all in the name of someones greater good.

LCP

Dec 24, 2008
Jazoni89 said:

At least in the British army, you have to go through a background check, and have certain qualifications in order to join it.

In America their army is mostly full of idiotic school dropout's, and that's why this shit happens.

America please take note.
Dohhohoho! Because the idea that your country hasn't committed any atrocities at war is downright laughable

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Stalk3rchief said:
Jazoni89 said:
Why is it that every time i post some smug asshole wants to contradict me.

Admittedly im no expert on the subject, but i only know what i know, so take that as it is.
What you know is completely false. I live here, so I know for a fact America is far from the greatest country on Earth. But seriously, your just trying to insult our military with zero facts backing up a single thing you said. You could have at least looked into it a tiny bit before you said that ignorant shit.
The mistakes of a few dumb rednecks don't reflect on the ENTIRE U.S. military. And you're pretty much alone in this so please, educate yourself and then come back to the forums.
Maybe i should just stick to the gaming discussion forums for the time being, because i don't know much about anything outside gaming, blame my shit education, but whatever.

I sincerely apologise for any offence cause by my ignorant post.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
mikozero said:
look i'm not defending the guys comments but your hitting back too hard.

"He barely attended high school, earning just 1 of 20 credits necessary to graduate."

"His parents sent him away to an alternative school in Montana that often steered its students into the military. Sergeant Gibbs received a graduate equivalency degree from the program in the fall of 2002, having already enlisted in the military. He had dreamed of being in the Marines but, without a high school diploma, entered the Army instead. "

that's about the Staff Sgt that led this squad.

source: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/world/asia/05gibbs.html
The purpose of my comment was to shoot down the grossly popular stereotype that all American soldiers are idiots. I fail to see what you are correcting me on, unless you think I was implying that the system I'm defending is perfect and the occasional dickhead doesn't slip through the cracks (I wasn't).

duckfi8

Jan 21, 2009
SilentCom said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42304341/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/?GT1=43001

There was an incident where U.S. soldiers planned out an execution of Afghan civilians. I for one was completely shocked. It's one thing if it was accidental, collateral damage type of thing, but it's a completely different thing if they planned to kill civilians. There is no reason for them to be doing so. This is the reason why I didn't decide to join the military. While I believe it is honorable to serve, to protect your country, this is one of the most dishonorable and shameful things I have heard about recently regarding American military personnel.
Does the enemy not do this to our soldiers? and if the Taliban was inside the US would they not do this to us?

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Morlock and Holmes
called to him in Pashto
as he walked toward
them, ordering him to
stop. The boy did as he
was told. He stood still.

The formatting makes the whole episode look rather poetic. I don't know what else to say. I do hope they enjoy prison. Knowing the intelligence of the average prisoner, they'll most likely be lauded as heroes.

duckfi8 said:
Does the enemy not do this to our soldiers? and if the Taliban was inside the US would they not do this to us?
What, so now it's justified because the enemies you demonize also do it? Aren't US troops fighting the Taliban because the Taliban commit atrocities?

illmuri

Jan 24, 2011
Jazoni89 said:
Why is it that every time i post some smug asshole wants to contradict me.

Admittedly im no expert on the subject, but i only know what i know, so take that as it is.
As one of those gits, I just cant help my pretentious, self-righteous nature I guess.

I wanted to show you what five minutes of quick searching could find in the way of information to support your arguments; something I learned in school during the short time before I dropped out to join the Army.

Also, please dont be disingenuous. 11B obviously has some of the lowest requirements. Read the rest (try starting with Signal Corps).

What amazes me is how you post an inflammatory, insulting post making sweeping generalizations about people, and then sit there going "why is it every time I post..."

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Saviordd1 said:
This is just horrible, these men deserve death, and nothing less.

Jazoni89 said:

At least in the British army, you have to go through a background check, and have certain qualifications in order to join it.

In America their army is mostly full of idiotic school dropout's, and that's why this shit happens.

America please take note.
My brothers in the military. This is a fucking horrible thing to say. As if the british army is perfect. He does it for the college money and to serve his country, so shut the fuck up, seriously.
Check my above post before telling me to shut the fuck up.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
As much as I hate to say it, it's war. Shit happens. It's a true fact that when people are under the threat of being killed every day, they act differently. Sometimes, this leads to war crimes.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
RobCoxxy said:
RobCoxxy said:
RobCoxxy said:
SilentCom said:
RobCoxxy said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The saddest thing? I wish I could say that I was surprised.
Summed it up perfectly.

As much as I hate to say it, the draft actually includes everyone (well, everyone who can't buy their way out) not just people who are much more likely to sign up "Just to kill people"
U.S. soldiers weren't drafted to fight in Afghanistan...
That's what I'm saying.

In a voluntary war, you sign up if you

a) have no other options (poor)
b) you're a fucking psychopath
Or you patriotic and wish to serve your nation? Some guys like the pay and like being outdoors.

OT: Nobody authorized this shit it's just some red neck who abused his military position.
The pay's shit and there's less deadly outdoorsy jobs.

Patriotism is defending your country or an ally from an actual threat (think WW1/2) not invading some far off sandy nation.
They launched an attack on United States soil and have repeatedly shown hostility to the Nato forces in the Region. What do you expect them to do send pretty flowers and chocolates? The Taliban are the type of people who throw acid on girls just becuase they wish to attend school.
Yeah, but how long did it take to actually move into Afghanistan as opposed to Iraq? (where the same shit went down with Coalition soldiers)

Plus, there's September 11, then there's invading, bombing, torturing, raping and murdering a fuckload of civvies over many years. Aaaand people wonder why we get bombed.
Give me proof of this raping, or murdering. Because I bet you 100% of the cases the people involved were arrested. Would you rather Saddam Hussein still be in charge?