U.S. soldiers killing Afghan civilians

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
T8B95 said:
Really? What good things can you claim that the Army has done in the past sixty years?
I'm sure you've seen Saddams atrocities first hand. I bet you have no clue of how the US even does Military operations.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
RobCoxxy said:
For fuck's sake, man, it's usually on the news (well, not Fox, obviously) - bad shit that we do always ends up on the news. Just not the ones where America is the knight in shining armour.

Soldiers do bad shit, they get arrested. Hopefully. But we still do bad shit. Jesus Christ, way to ignore all the bad shit. Bloody hell.
What bad shit? Most of it is propaganda and ghost stories. War is never a good thing, but because of the United States Saddam is no longer ruling the country, Women can go to school and dress how they wish, and you don't see 8 years old kids with AK47's anymore.
The bad shit?
You know, the stories of Soldiers abusing power? Murder? Rape? All of that "fun stuff"?

Propaganda, my ass, man. Jesus christ.
And yes, we do still see 8 year olds with AK's. You are aware that (I'm guessing it's fox you're getting this "Nothing bad happens, no siree" from) Fox tends to shiny over the bad stuff and focuses on "look what 'we' achieved here! While ignoring the death and all that.

That, my friend, is propaganda.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
RobCoxxy said:
RobCoxxy said:
For fuck's sake, man, it's usually on the news (well, not Fox, obviously) - bad shit that we do always ends up on the news. Just not the ones where America is the knight in shining armour.

Soldiers do bad shit, they get arrested. Hopefully. But we still do bad shit. Jesus Christ, way to ignore all the bad shit. Bloody hell.
What bad shit? Most of it is propaganda and ghost stories. War is never a good thing, but because of the United States Saddam is no longer ruling the country, Women can go to school and dress how they wish, and you don't see 8 years old kids with AK47's anymore.
The bad shit?
You know, the stories of Soldiers abusing power? Murder? Rape? All of that "fun stuff"?

And yes, we do still see 8 year olds with AK's. You are aware that (I'm guessing it's fox you're getting this "Nothing bad happens, no siree" from) Fox tends to shiny over the bad stuff and focuses on "look what 'we' achieved here! While ignoring the death and all that.

Give me a link then. A small portion of the troops abuse there position, then again that happens in every fucking job. People can be dicks, but compared to armies like China or North Korea the United States is Gandhi. The world without the United States values would be a terrible place. And before you mention Fox one more time I should let you know I live in Canada. I don't even get Fox.

(The values I speak of are your Constitution though I probably know it better than you)

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Fetzenfisch said:
Fetzenfisch said:
duckfi8 said:
SilentCom said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42304341/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/?GT1=43001

There was an incident where U.S. soldiers planned out an execution of Afghan civilians. I for one was completely shocked. It's one thing if it was accidental, collateral damage type of thing, but it's a completely different thing if they planned to kill civilians. There is no reason for them to be doing so. This is the reason why I didn't decide to join the military. While I believe it is honorable to serve, to protect your country, this is one of the most dishonorable and shameful things I have heard about recently regarding American military personnel.
Does the enemy not do this to our soldiers? and if the Taliban was inside the US would they not do this to us?
That is by far the stupidest post in this thread. The "enemy" does it to your soldiers, but they arent unarmed civilians. And the people killed here were not Taliban , but Afghan farmers.
Farmers with AK47's no less. I'm sure all the training camps are for farming too.
They probably hid those Ak's up their arses, because no one saw them. Not even the murders that confessed their doings here.
Proof? Link? Every farmer and his dog owns an AK over there. Your image of the Military is like Cobra.
Well, the proof and link i am refering to is found in the OP, which you of course already read, because if you didnt you wouldnt have the position to join this discussion that revolves around a certain incident.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
/sigh

Yes, there are people like those in the US Army. They do not, by any means, represent the majority of soldiers.
Well, perhaps with their intelligence level, but certainly not with their murderous habits. As usual, a small group is being used by many people to judge the large group they're affiliated with.

Most soldiers I served with were either lifers who preferred the garrison life to a civilian life they couldn't get by in, or people like me who joined up for steady employment in a time when there were no jobs to be had.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
do they even check the mental health of soldiers? I hope these soldier,s get the help they need, sometimes war can really mess somebody up.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
RobCoxxy said:
RobCoxxy said:

The bad shit?

Give me a link then. A small portion of the troops abuse there position, then again that happens in every fucking job. People can be dicks, but compared to armies like China or North Korea the United States is Gandhi. The world without the United States values would be a terrible place. And before you mention Fox one more time I should let you know I live in Canada. I don't even get Fox.

(The values I speak of are your Constitution though I probably know it better than you)
I'm a Brit. I know the constitution, but not as well as the Yanks.
It'll take plenty of time to find the links because this war's been going on for fucking years. As for the abuse of power? Most people in those professions tend to do it in a less violent way. Just saying. :p

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Oscar90 said:
Oscar90 said:
Weren't the 9/11 attacks done by people from several nationalities worldwide?
It was Alkaida man. It was not a conspiracy, it's just nobody wanting to admit a third world nation of religious gangsters was able to attack a global super power like the US. People feel thinking safer thinking the US is in total control.
oookey. Now how about some proof. And please don't give me a link to some conspiracy theory website.
I'm not calling conspiracy at all, a Terrorist faction attacked the US. http://www.cracked.com/article_15740_was-911-inside-job.html

Decide for yourself. Personally, I know it was Alkaida. Alkaida admitted to it and is still proud of it.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Response to thread title before I clicked:

"In other news: water wet, desert dry, fire hot, tree pretty. Full story at eleven."

Jazoni89 said:
The American army is full of those pretentious, and self righteous gits.

At least in the British army, you have to go through a background check, and have certain qualifications in order to join it.

In America their army is mostly full of idiotic school dropout's, and that's why this shit happens.

America please take note.
There's slightly more to it than that. Every nation* fighting in any war uses psy ops in various ways, and one way is to get their fighting forces psyched up to massacre the enemy. See all the anti-Muslim and anti-Arab guff on Fox in 2002 for examples or take a look at authentic examples and modern spoofs [http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=propaganda] online. There's been a lot of work done on techniques for getting your 19-year-olds to willingly risk their lives to butcher their 19-year-olds. There is a side-effect to this, which is that if you want to win hearts and minds you'd better have some other soldiers who aren't as psyched-up and pumped full of hate standing by to take over the peacekeeping (aka peacemaking or peaceforcing) duties once your attack dogs have finished bleeding and screaming and blowing holes in people and houses.

Otherwise you get some really bad things [http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1211562,00.html] (warning: link may cause rage) happening when people trained to hate the population are left in charge of it, surrounded by a population that's quickly learning to hate them. Iraq 2003 onwards was a reenactment on a larger scale and with more initial hatred of South Lebanon 1982-2000 with echoes of Viet Nam 1955-1975.

With 'Nam, there was a draft because they couldn't get the people any other way, and so they got soldiers who didn't want to be there and still had a really big lack of suitable candidates for a lot of jobs. Some jobs require a volunteer as well as requiring certain skills. One of those, apparently, was officer. They were so short, they'd take just about anybody, including high school drop-outs with attitude problems. The result of a lot of things including allowing standards to slip in order to fill bunks was ...

... well, one hell of a lot, really, but it includes an event 43 years and 12.5 days ago, which ... let's see ... how to phrase it ... you DAMN WELL SHOULD HAVE HEARD ABOUT. Man, you can get such grief for mentioning it in some places, but that's kind of proof that it SHOULD be mentioned.

My Lai​

Feel free to google it (Warning: first image is NSFW, many images NSFW and reading [http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mylai/Myl_intro.html] may cause rage) and take note:
In the end, however, only few would be tried and only one, William Calley, would be found guilty. The top officer charged, General Samuel Koster, who failed to report known civilian casualties and conducted a clearly inadequate investigation was, according to General Peers, the beneficiary of a whitewash, having charges against him dropped and receiving only a letter of censure and reduction in rank. Colonel Henderson was found not guilty on all charges after a trial by court martial. Peers again expressed his disapproval, writing "I cannot agree with the verdict. If his actions are judged as acceptable standards for an officer in his position, the Army is indeed in deep trouble."

After thirteen days of deliberations, the longest in U. S. court-martial history, the jury returned its verdict: guilty of premeditated murder on all specifications. After hearing pleas on the issue of punishment, jury head Colonel Clifford Ford pronounced Calley's sentence: "To be confined at hard labor for the length of your natural life; to be dismissed from the service; to forfeit all pay and allowances."

Opinion polls showed that the public overwhelmingly disapproved of the verdict in the Calley case [OPINION POLLS]. President Nixon ordered Calley removed from the stockade (after spending a single weekend there) and placed under house arrest. On November 9, 1974, the Secretary of the Army announced that William Calley would be paroled.
A weekend in the stockade and a few years' house arrest. Really. You get more for refusing to pay council tax.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I guess the worst part of this will be that the Taliban will use this as their own propaganda to gain more recruits, who will then carry out attrocities of their own to get revenge on the US troops, who will then go out and kill more afghans, who will then see more cruel acts by the west and look for recenge against them, who will then........

face it, it wont end.

Normalgamer

Dec 21, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
The American army is full of those pretentious, and self righteous gits.

At least in the British army, you have to go through a background check, and have certain qualifications in order to join it.

In America their army is mostly full of idiotic school dropout's, and that's why this shit happens.

America please take note.
Are you serious? Not only did you manage to stereotype a whole nation's army, you managed to boist about your own, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I've never seen such hypocrisy.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
It was Alkaida man. It was not a conspiracy, it's just nobody wanting to admit a third world nation of religious gangsters was able to attack a global super power like the US. People feel thinking safer thinking the US is in total control.
Al Quaeda is a terrorist organization, not a nation.

and being an organized crime group, referring to them as a 'conspiracy' is accurate both in legal and common terms.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Fetzenfisch said:
Fetzenfisch said:
Fetzenfisch said:
duckfi8 said:
SilentCom said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42304341/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/?GT1=43001

There was an incident where U.S. soldiers planned out an execution of Afghan civilians. I for one was completely shocked. It's one thing if it was accidental, collateral damage type of thing, but it's a completely different thing if they planned to kill civilians. There is no reason for them to be doing so. This is the reason why I didn't decide to join the military. While I believe it is honorable to serve, to protect your country, this is one of the most dishonorable and shameful things I have heard about recently regarding American military personnel.
Does the enemy not do this to our soldiers? and if the Taliban was inside the US would they not do this to us?
That is by far the stupidest post in this thread. The "enemy" does it to your soldiers, but they arent unarmed civilians. And the people killed here were not Taliban , but Afghan farmers.
Farmers with AK47's no less. I'm sure all the training camps are for farming too.
They probably hid those Ak's up their arses, because no one saw them. Not even the murders that confessed their doings here.
Proof? Link? Every farmer and his dog owns an AK over there. Your image of the Military is like Cobra.
Well, the proof and link i am refering to is found in the OP, which you of course already read, because if you didnt you wouldnt have the position to join this discussion that revolves around a certain incident.
I want proof to the cases you referring to. Murder and Rape and what not. I kind find proof of it, mind you every story I have found the people were charged and in jail. Personally I think hey should be hung, but your justice system is just a messed up as you media.

If you commit a war crime regardless of side you should hang. So the troops who did commit war crimes should have hung right next to Saddam. But assuming the whole military is some even power like Cobra or Nazis is just silly. I have seen Tyranny first hand, I have family in Cuba and I lived there for 3 months. Shooting people in the face for speaking out against there government and enforcing a curfew with tanks is true Tyranny. Your allowed to Demonize your great nation, hell burn flags if you wish, but know that most other countries you would be killed for doing so.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Can anyone say they are terribly surprised? Not being stuck in Afghanistan for several years, I can't say if I'd not end up like that. Atrocities against civilians happen when fighting guerilla warfare unless the troops are kept on a really tight leash.

On the other hand, female US soldiers in Iraq sre more likely to be raped by male US soldiers in Iraq than killed by the enemy, and there's no excuse you can give for that.

Normalgamer

Dec 21, 2009
Snake Plissken said:
This is what happens when a bass-ackwards president involves us in a war that isn't exactly necessary, nobody credible signs up to fight, and they start accepting FELONS into the US Army.

Brilliant plan.
What the fuck? The leader of Libya was killing his own people in slaughterfests, your telling me your alright with that? I know the US isn't suppose to be sticking our nose in anyone's business(Iraq) but your telling me we should be letting a tyrant slaughter tons of innocents?