Ubisoft ask's where the next Assassin's Creed should be set

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
There isn't really any way that the narrative can allow a game set in Feudal Japan. Not only that, however, but its a tired and used setting (mainly in Japanese media, of course) that wouldn't lend itself well to the AC series, which is brilliant at urban areas and fairly poor at anything else.
Conversely, the 3rd Crusade and Renaissance Italy were almost totally unique: I'm not just talking games either: in media generally, these periods are very rarely touched upon, and also have a rich history of assassinations and murder plots.

Another setting would need these two things: Uniqueness and wealth of historical assassinations

Egypt during the height (or maybe decline) of the Pharaohs could be very interesting, the details of which being vague enough to let many things happen.

Russian Revolution could also be an interesting one: the Word of God in the series already says that the fight between the Templars and Assassins was raging in this conflict, and there are many historical figures such as Rasputin to take advantage of. In canon it is probably the largest victory the Assassins have won in centuries: they caused the fall of the Tsars, who were templars.

Victorian England. Not original, but interesting: a Sherlock Holmes-esque portrayal with a gritty take on things, joining the two separate worlds of the corrupt and scheming rich and elite and the grimy, dirty creation of the criminal underworld.
A lot could be done with such a setting.

In summary: Feudal Japan is a terrible idea.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Victorian England would be pretty awesome, and so would the Russian Revolution.

Don't think I could really get into China or Japan, there's already enough games using those settings without dragging Assassin's Creed in there as well.

Ancient Rome or Egypt would be pretty awesome as well, especially since both of those are already canon in the Assassin's Creed universe, but Egypt might be difficult to do, or kind of boring because there wouldn't be much variation in landscape, or that many really tall buildings.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Feudal Japan would be interesting, Russia, French Revolution, Spanish Civil War... the future?

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
So basically, they say "just pick something and we'll think of a story in a week or two, it doesn't really matter."

SirSodit

Feb 26, 2011
Although you can probably guest from my profile picture I would choose the Russian revolution. Not only would there be fantastic pieces of Constructivist architecture to jump of into the people's haystack but also there would be some great plot points and political commentary. For instance you and the Brotherhood could be in Russia assisting Lenin and stirring up the revolution and helping Lenin perhaps in protection missions. After helping gain Bolshevik control you could be helping fight off the white army and assassination key generals (this would also be a great excuse to get on Trotsky's train as a mode of transport.
After all this the Apple could come into play. Stalin could end up using the apple to gain control the country and you and the Brotherhood could side to stop him but fail. After Lenin's death Trotsky could give you missions throughout this period with the intention placed on removing Stalin from power. Throughout this period you will have to murder Commissioner, Soviet officials and bureaucrats. You could also give a hand to Trotskyists being rounded up and murdered and side with the peasants by giving them supplies and food in the fight against sudden collectivization of farming.
Depending on how far through history the plot would go you could met Hitler and assassinate Nazi officials in the peace treaties between Russia and Germany; or even be brain washed by the Apple and as a finale be the man who assassinates Trotsky with an ice pick in Mexico, a nice happy ending (if your a Stalinist).
Well its just an idea.

DionysusSnoopy

May 9, 2009
putowtin said:
So theres a survey bouncing around in which Ubisoft are asking where the next Assassin's Creed should be set, the eight options are:

*The violent conflicts of the Imperial Dynasties in Medieval China
*The advent of the mighty British Empire during Victorian England
*The culmination of the Pharaoh Reign in Ancient Egypt
*The invasion of the Americas by the Spanish Conquistadors
*The confrontation between British colonists and native Americans during The American Revolution
*The overthrow of the Tsar Empire by the Communists during the Russian Revolution
*The Warlord Battles in Feudal Japan
*The rise of Cesar's Empire in Ancient Rome

Which would you pick, let us know!

(I'm torn between victorian england and Egypt)

link to original article:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-28-ubisoft-survey-public-on-future-assassins-creed-locations

(edit: Poll eaten by trolls)
My preference is to play as Desmond and finally get what is essentially the main storyline. But if it is going to be one of these options anything that brings us closer to present which leaves, Russia, Mid-Late feudal Japan, England and the American Revolution. If it was the conquistadors then it would essentially be Ezio (time skip of about 10 years) again or possibly his son/daughter. My vote would go to England or Japan, though some of the other locations would be fun so long as it occurs at a time after revelations.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
AnarchistFish said:
Was screaming "Feudal Japan" in my head as this page was loading.

Victorian England isn't really something that interests me.

Would British colonists be the bad guys in a story set during the American Revolution? Would the Spanish be the good guys in a South American conquistador-era tale?
Why would anyone have to be the bad guys or good guys? What's wrong with ambiguity.
Those two settings don't really interest me either.

Egypt or China might be cool.
You can't really be ambiguous since the templars and the assassin's would be picking a side to give the game coherence. The side that the templars sided with would be the bad guys.

Windcaler said:
Think Im gonna go with Egypt for my first choice just because Im hard pressed to think of any historical egyption style game. The closest ones I can recall are all Arabian fantasy themes
Yu-Gi-Oh. *Troll face*

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
definitely Rome the intrigue alone would be most entertaining, and roman high society was full of sudden deaths. especially after Agustus entered into political life.

however we have already been to italy, and japan is the obvious choice, ninja's anyone?

oh and egypt before the ptolemys... damn greeks ruined everything

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Victorian, female protagonist.

With the Apple and Artifacts, might play out borderline steampunk.

Thetwistedendgame

Apr 5, 2011
Well, instead of thinking of storylines like any ordinary bloke, I shall think of the obvious. The rooftops. The towns during the american revolution where rather small, the roofs of Egypt houses too flat, god knows what Russia had for rooftops, The Chinese rooftops are too curly, leaving Feudal Japan, Ancient Rome, and england.

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
Tsarist Russia, Victorian England, and Ancient Rome? And I can only pick one!? Curse you, Ubisoft!

I'd probably pick the Russian Revolution, though. There's already some lore in place and the fact that it takes place in Europe after Ezio's time gives it an advantage with continuity.

Terrara

Jul 1, 2011
aaaaaaaaaaaa I can't choose D:
Going to asia would be badass, especially Japan cause europe just comes in.
Overthrow of Tsar would also be badass,, I bet we'd get a mission to hunt down Rasputin (and maybe educate some people too, since its Ubisoft) Egypt is generally awesome but then we'd have to play a woman. Victorian england is awesome, I love steampunk but I will miss the swordplay (I do love me swordplay, but steampunk? Come on!)
Something on conquests of America and their natives would be pretty awesome too but I fear too depressing (bet who won there?)
So many possibilities my mouth is watering.

Edit: I thought about Rome and I first thought it would be boring but then again.. Jesus Christ.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
sean16 said:
putowtin said:
So theres snip
My preference is to play as Desmond and finally get what is essentially the main storyline. But if it is going to be one of these options anything that brings us closer to present which leaves, Russia, Mid-Late feudal Japan, England and the American Revolution. If it was the conquistadors then it would essentially be Ezio (time skip of about 10 years) again or possibly his son/daughter. My vote would go to England or Japan, though some of the other locations would be fun so long as it occurs at a time after revelations.
I'm gonna edit my first post, it's not the game due out next year (which is the end of Desmond's story) but where they go with the series after that

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Wow, figured they'd just set it in 1984.

That's me unsubtly comparing ubisoft to big brother by the way.

Boom boom.

ANYHOO, ninjas. That is all.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
putowtin said:
So theres a survey bouncing around in which Ubisoft are asking where the next Assassin's Creed should be set, the eight options are:

*The violent conflicts of the Imperial Dynasties in Medieval China
*The advent of the mighty British Empire during Victorian England
*The culmination of the Pharaoh Reign in Ancient Egypt
*The invasion of the Americas by the Spanish Conquistadors
*The confrontation between British colonists and native Americans during The American Revolution
*The overthrow of the Tsar Empire by the Communists during the Russian Revolution
*The Warlord Battles in Feudal Japan
*The rise of Cesar's Empire in Ancient Rome

Which would you pick, let us know!

(I'm torn between victorian england and Egypt)

link to original article:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-28-ubisoft-survey-public-on-future-assassins-creed-locations

(edit: Poll eaten by trolls)
These are our options? Holy shit, thats fantastic! Any one of these at all will do! Admittedly some of the more exotic ones could be hard to fit into the story, but I'd love to see a Mayan or Native American assassin. Continuity makes it far more likely that the assassin will be British/American, but thats acceptable too. Hmm. My choices should probably be in list form.

1. Invasion of South America/ American Revolution
2. Reign of the Pharaoh/ Rise of Caesar
3. Feudal Japan
4. The British Empire
5. The Imperial Chinese Dynasties
6. The Russian Revolution

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
The invasion of the Americas by the Spanish Conquistadors or maybe The overthrow of the Tsar Empire by the Communists during the Russian Revolution

not quite sure yet...