Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed Has "An End"

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I love how 99% of responses are "Yearly instalments are just milking!"

I don't even care. I liked every game except Assassin's Creed 3, and d'you know why I didn't like that game? It wasn't because of a padded story or because Desmond (whatever that line of argument was ever supposed to imply), it was because I hated the protagonist. If Edward Kenway is a strong, interesting character, then the story can be as awful and convoluted as it likes, and it'll still be good to play through. Ubisoft are pretty damn good at fully fleshing out their games, and the frequent dialogue and setups depend entirely on the strength of the characters involved, not the frequency of release dates.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Adon Cabre said:
This Next Gen console will globalize: example, a US cinema flop like Pacific Rim gets a whole new sequel because it breaks new ground in China.

In other words, publishers are no longer going to care about the US or European community, because they're
interested in the global market, which doesn't always demand quality.
Oh man. Pacific Rim really was quite awful. The fights were spectacular, but the rest was just awful.

On topic: I just dont care anymore. Not about ubisoft and not about AC.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Adon Cabre said:
This Next Gen console will globalize: example, a US cinema flop like Pacific Rim gets a whole new sequel because it breaks new ground in China.

In other words, publishers are no longer going to care about the US or European community, because they're
Ahh yes, all us regular folk outside of the US and EU are just so lax when it comes to quality, we could definitely learn a thing or two from Greece and it's whole economic stance, or Russia and Putin being such a kind and just dicta- president, or how in the US army drivers are not qualified to change tires, or how gun control is so good in the US that we haven't had a mass shooting since hmmm...

And that US remake of The Inbetweeners was REALLY good now eh? How about that SAW franchise, definitely a top quality bunch a films there. Oh! And how could I forget the quality writing of Stephenie Meyer, or the talent that is One Direction! Wow, I'm glad that EU and the US are in charge in quality!

I'm sorry, but the US and EU are not what I'd call, "up keepers of impeccable quality" and if you haven't noticed globalization is actually a good thing. It's terrible to think that one nation or continent can dictate what the rest of the world do, at least now taking in everyone's opinion will create a much more defined consensus on things rather than, "Shit, America/Europe didn't like this, let's not hear about what the rest of the world thought".

As for what Ubisoft are saying, cool, I'm excited for Black Flag, still thought AC1 was the best but I play games for the gameplay more so than the story. You make a fun game, and I'll pay the $100 fucking dollars that you charge us lot.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
The two sentiments here seem to be directly contradicting each other. "It has an end" is all fine and well, but if the flip side is that if we are seeing them draw out that end perpetually to make way for yearly sequels, then we will never see that end. It doesn't matter if it's there creatively, because we will never see it.

Really all this is telling me is "When the series is finally no longer profitable they may make one last game to tie it up, then when people actually buy that one to see how it ends, the series will become profitable again, and Ubi will demand more sequels."

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
aparently mr. ismail didnt play ac3 because the series ONLY story arc died. and i say it died and not ended, not because i mean died literally, but because it couldnt have been tied off in a less satisfying way to me

seriously, desmond is dead, and apparently the templar "scheme" was thwarted somehow, what part exactly of the story arc up to this point can still be applied to future installments?

sounds like bollocks to me

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
bug_of_war said:
Adon Cabre said:
Ahh yes, all us regular folk outside of the US and EU are just so lax when it comes to quality, we could definitely learn a thing or two from Greece and it's whole economic stance, or Russia and Putin being such a kind and just dicta- president, or how in the US army drivers are not qualified to change tires, or how gun control is so good in the US that we haven't had a mass shooting since hmmm...

And that US remake of The Inbetweeners was REALLY good now eh? How about that SAW franchise, definitely a top quality bunch a films there. Oh! And how could I forget the quality writing of Stephenie Meyer, or the talent that is One Direction! Wow, I'm glad that EU and the US are in charge in quality!

I'm sorry, but the US and EU are not what I'd call, "up keepers of impeccable quality" and if you haven't noticed globalization is actually a good thing. It's terrible to think that one nation or continent can dictate what the rest of the world do, at least now taking in everyone's opinion will create a much more defined consensus on things rather than, "Shit, America/Europe didn't like this, let's not hear about what the rest of the world thought".

As for what Ubisoft are saying, cool, I'm excited for Black Flag, still thought AC1 was the best but I play games for the gameplay more so than the story. You make a fun game, and I'll pay the $100 fucking dollars that you charge us lot.
Um, Saw grossed $102 Million world wide; marking it as one of the most profitable horror films -- enough for the suits to approve another terrible sequel. So I guess bad taste does run around the globe. And thanks to that, it spawned another 7 terrible films.

Assassin's Creed III launched with a plethora of bugs; and as this game is vastly larger, more complicated, and launching on SIX different platforms, I'd wait first to see how its handling. (That's how I'll treat Watch Dogs as well.)

I'm very skeptical of all these open world, big budget titles coming out in the fall. Publishers have poured a lot of money into them. If they don't all pan out -- and by that I mean 6+ million sales for each title by end of the year -- then this could really crash the industry.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
tzimize said:
Adon Cabre said:

Oh man. Pacific Rim really was quite awful. The fights were spectacular, but the rest was just awful.

On topic: I just dont care anymore. Not about ubisoft and not about AC.
I thought so, but apparently doesn't. ACIV looks amazing, but I'm very cautious.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Man, already the thread is filled with "yeah right, blah blah, skepticism, cynical douchebaggery, starry eyed nostalgia".
Can't you guys just take the LEAD WRITER's word for it?

Plus I'd hate to see the series end when it still has so much more potential.
As long as the story and settings keep delivering on the epicness, keep up the yearly releases please.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
Am i the only person that stil likes Assasins Creed? I don't have a huge problem with yearly release titles, i'd like it if they slowed it down a bit but i liked 3 a lot and im really excited for 4 but yeah i agree that they have a "basic idea" of how the series ends but they arnt planning on it any time soon.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
"according to Ashraf Ismail, the director of Assassin's Creed IV, the series does have an end point and its creators know what it is. ".

And that is at the exact point the franchise quits making money.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
The end of assassins creed will be when it stops making money. Remember when it was a planned trilogy?

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Adon Cabre said:
That film did not flop domestically. It's was guaranteed a sequel before it even opened overseas.
In other words, publishers are no longer going to care about the US or European community, because they're interested in the global market, which doesn't always demand quality.
The US and European community is the staggering majority of where sales go for companies like Ubisoft, so I have no idea where you pulled this out. Yeah, I'm sure they're interested in spreading their games around as far as they possibly can. But they're sure as shit not gonna stop catering to their majority audience.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Adon Cabre said:
Assassin's Creed III launched with a plethora of bugs; and as this game is vastly larger, more complicated, and launching on SIX different platforms, I'd wait first to see how its handling. (That's how I'll treat Watch Dogs as well.)

I'm very skeptical of all these open world, big budget titles coming out in the fall. Publishers have poured a lot of money into them. If they don't all pan out -- and by that I mean 6+ million sales for each title by end of the year -- then this could really crash the industry.
At no point did I mention AC3, but I do agree with you, it had some bugs in it such as (at least for me) the section where you become a bird and have to follow Minerva (or was it Juno?), the last section of that mission was impossible to 100% due to the screen just whiting out, and not coming back to normal till the mission was over. Skepticism is good, but so is optimism, although too much of either can be a bad thing. Guess we'll just wait and see.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
JoesshittyOs said:
Adon Cabre said:
That film did not flop domestically. It's was guaranteed a sequel before it even opened overseas.
In other words, publishers are no longer going to care about the US or European community, because they're interested in the global market, which doesn't always demand quality.
The US and European community is the staggering majority of where sales go for companies like Ubisoft, so I have no idea where you pulled this out. Yeah, I'm sure they're interested in spreading their games around as far as they possibly can. But they're sure as shit not gonna stop catering to their majority audience.
No, your right, US movies are made primarily for the domestic market; but that is no longer the only concern. And maybe I was a little too loose in my language, but the days of underrating the Asian Market are coming to an end.

Still, it's becoming difficult to predict hardware & software sales across the globe.

The iPhone in China.

Samsung in India.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Rigggghhhhhtttt just jeep telling us that ubisoft, it will end when you can no longer make gobtons of money of yearly sequels, while smart gamers stopped caring about assassins creed story as you have made it clear that each games story will just create more padding to stretch it out even further

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Starke said:
Let me be the first to say: Bwhahahahahahaha

Yeah, right.
It's totally true. The "end" is "whatever game stops selling."
Knowing how game franchises refuse to die? That'll be a quarter past never. If sales slow, it'll get moved to another developer who'll offer their take on the franchise, and off it goes again. I mean, we're talking about the company that exhumed Heroes of Might and Magic to flog it's corpse a few more times.

Now, I'm not saying this is automatically a bad thing, Ubisoft is getting a little experimental, if Blood Dragon and Cloudberry Kingdom are any indicator, so we could see some interesting games down the line. But, in the mean time, we're in for a lot of "design by committee" kitchen sinks.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
On the other hand, I'm all for making Desmond walk the plank.
If they have that in AC4 it would be worth a day 1 purchase, "Is there anything else you've got to say Desmond before you walk the plank?".

Honestly I hope they let 3 end his story and just use the AC name and gameplay but in different time periods, its clear that's what the players are enjoying so why not just end the Desmond stuff and move on with a clean slate.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
bug_of_war said:
Adon Cabre said:
At no point did I mention AC3, but I do agree with you, it had some bugs in it such as (at least for me) the section where you become a bird and have to follow Minerva (or was it Juno?), the last section of that mission was impossible to 100% due to the screen just whiting out, and not coming back to normal till the mission was over. Skepticism is good, but so is optimism, although too much of either can be a bad thing. Guess we'll just wait and see.
Well, its just a gut reaction.

Watch Dogs & Assassin's Creed IV are very ambitious for the promises they're making (and the ULTRA SPEC PC FOOTAGE that they're showing). I have a feeling that both might be knocked down to earth come GTA V, not that I have a horse in this race.

I'm more interested in October's Beyond: Two Souls.