Ubisoft Blames DRM Outage on "Server Attack"

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Antari said:
I hadn't heard they'd lost control of that much stock, then I'm mistaken. From my experience they treat customers the same way. I hate both companies.
What? As far as Wikipedia is aware, they only ever owned that 20%

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Asehujiko said:
Interesting how they blame pirates when a system to keep out pirates malfunctions.

"If we didn't have all these rats here then our rat poison would have worked perfectly" Is not a valid press release when a human died of said rat poison.
This made me laugh. Probably because it's true... Hopefully this and the second crash is causing Ubi to rethink a bit. Do you think like half the people who bought the game have cracked it yet?

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
LIES! I don't know what kind of crack Ubisoft is tripping on, but they should come down from the clouds and return to reality, and pretty fast.

For one, I don't think the pirates were the one who attacked the servers, since pirates can play without them, there is no need to attack anything when they can just simply play without the hassle of DRM. I think the attack (if there even was an attack), was facilitated by angry customers or people angered by the new DRM, and not (necessarily) pirates.

And two, I don't know (or care) about SH5 or AC2, but I know there is a crack for SH5, my roommate is playing with that game for some days now. So, no, Ubi, your dreadful and utterly preposterous DRM is not as uncrackable as you thought.

This means Ubisoft is lying through it's teeth and they're trying to shift the blame on the pirates, but they can't fool anyone. Anybody, who has even a single molecule of intelligence in their brain knows what fucking bastards they are.

I know it's not nice to wish harm on anyone, but fuck Ubisoft, bring the thunder, fuck those servers up like there's no tomorrow. They won't learn any other way it seems.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
AngloDoom said:
You don't have a great grasp of sarcasm, do you?
Only when written in between sarcasm tags. Text doesn't convey emotion very well.
How very odd, I don't believe I even wrote that last quote. I believe it was commasplice;

commasplice said:
Khell_Sennet said:
You don't have a great grasp of sarcasm, do you?

Anyway, I thought it was pretty damn obvious. Sorry if it wasn't, but the 'thank fuck for that' thing doesn't really fit unless it's being sarcastic. The point isn't the amount of people it affected, it's the fact that it did, indeed, die.

Don't take this personally, but:

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Now, its only a matter of time before some script kiddie institutes a kind of man in the middle attack on the Ubisoft servers to automatically deny everyone who tries to authenticate.

Thats right people, I'm calling it: That will be the next reason why the servers fail.

Ubisoft really brought this on themselves. Piss normal people off enough, and they will retaliate.

odanhammer

Oct 11, 2009
You know the problem comes down to this.
As a gamer you can pick two choices for gaming. Legit purchase of a game , or to illegally download it.
As everyone knows, there are pro's and con's to both ways , as currently shown.
But the real problem comes down to how to end this nonsense.
Ubisoft wants to protect there investment, understandable, but as a consumer , limiting your right to play a game that has no need to be based off the internet screams for someone to file a class action lawsuit over fair use. Clearly this is an extreme method , which i currently can vouch has been broken and there is in fact a great way to play the game without connecting to the internet.
Ubisoft needs to learn a lesson , i highly hope that Assassin Creed 2 is a huge flop due to this. Anyone that buys the game really needs to be hit in the head with a clue bat, and same goes for anyone that downloads the game illegally.
This one time i pray that everyone just completely ignore a game , just for the sake of teaching the gaming industry what is ok to do , and what is completely wrong to do.

This is wrong , i really have no need to ever play a Ubisoft game again. And currently i actually don't even own any.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Abedeus said:
Also, called it first, before the news.
That's starting to get as annoying as people who put FIRST! on a forum thread. Good job keeping on events, have a cookie. No, wait, I'm fresh out. Other people got there first.

OT: This is one more case of a games publisher sounding like a 5 year old child. "I went another way to school today to avoid Bobby, but then I got chased by some other kids! It's all Bobby's fault!" Waah waah waah. Maybe you need to wake up and see who your customers are before coming up with a dimwitted DRM scheme that will only kill your sales further when it gets hacked and screws over your customers even more.
It kinda bites, because I like the gameplay of AC, but until Ubisoft cuts the chord and gets rid of this server system I am not buying a copy of AC2.

sramota

Aug 1, 2009
DRM's will ALWAYS be cracked - You can tell a company has lost their grasp on reality when they make them hard enough to crack so the legit customers will suffer from it.

Congrats on losing your name and value in order to delay a crack for.. A week was it?
Really, I'm amazed that a company can be THIS ignorant that they try to stop Pirates by showing their fists up the rears of legit customers.
Assume a scriptkiddie just decides to piss with them more?
Daily downtime, paying customers can't play.
Pirates? Can always play.
GG..

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
PhunkyPhazon said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ah, humor aside, it's still pretty unfair for the people who actually did buy the games. I hate this DRM as much as anyone, perhaps more since I don't have a stable connection and AC2 was one of my most anticipated games in a very long time. Assuming Ubi is telling the truth and the servers really were attacked then maybe, just maybe this was going a bit too far.

But even if it is, it's still hilarious.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
And that's the sad part. The people who are affected are the actual people that went and bought this game.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Guh, to all of you saying, "All this DRM is crap, it hurts the consumer, so I'm going to pirate their games to spite them", (Notice that's in bold) you do realise that that's merely going to encourage them to continue DRM? Buy the game legally, it means that developers won't be so scared of pirating.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Kollega said:
So pathetic it's not even funny anymore. All people who know of this DRM, yet are still willing to buy the game, are phenomenal idiots.
I'm still convinced that if this catches on, PC gamers may resort to console gaming. I mean, I've got a few friends who played AC1 with a controller and they didn't mind it. And with the price of consoles like the Xbox being so cheap these days, it might be a realistic idea.

OT: Doesn't Ubisoft know of the term, 'Well, duuuuh!'? I mean, you piss a bunch of people off and heads are going to roll. PC gamers are a fickle bunch.

Nov 28, 2007
T-Bone24 said:
Guh, to all of you saying, "All this DRM is crap, it hurts the consumer, so I'm going to pirate their games to spite them", (Notice that's in bold) you do realise that that's merely going to encourage them to continue DRM? Buy the game legally, it means that developers won't be so scared of pirating.
And yet if piracy goes down, they assume the DRM is working, and keep using it. Lose-lose situation.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
T-Bone24 said:
Or better yet, don't do that! In fact, don't buy anything from Ubisoft at all, and certainly don't pirate anything either. Instead, do your level best to make sure as many people as you possibly can inform are made aware of just how incandescently furious you are with Ubisoft and why they should be too.

I don't know about you, but I will be doing my level best to ruin Ubisoft using the modest means available to me, until such time as they see reason or I pass off this mortal coil - it's the only response that can't possibly be 'misinterpreted'.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
T-Bone24 said:
I do nothing with games involving invasive DRM. I don't buy them, I don't download them.
That been said, buying the game legally will not fix anything. All future games will have horrid DRM in them whether few people pirate it or not.

Even if everyone bought it legally (imagine a parallel universe where this happens) they would still keep the DRM out of paranoia, or better still, potentially for marketing purposes.

Though it's certain that we've reached well past the point of no return for the PC gaming industry. It's in a downward spiral of madness now.