Ubisoft Denies Launch Day Crack for Silent Hunter 5 DRM

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
Hmmm.... Let's see something in the long run.... Let's see if this first-day crack will allow pirates to really play the full game.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Ishnuvalok said:
Just checked a reliable source. Cracked and fully functional. Good going Ubisoft.
Is the reliable source your hard drive?

Dirty poirate!

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
OOooh, that's gotta hurt. lost my business AND got cracked on day one! Well, let's hope this serves as a lesson to all those other publishers watching out there.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
Ishnuvalok said:
Just checked a reliable source. Cracked and fully functional. Good going Ubisoft.
Ah, you checked a reliable source? We all have our sources, I guess.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Of course its not complete! You cant use UBisofts awesome DRM/online service!

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Fuck Ubisoft. *pirates things they make out of spite*

or I would.

If there were anything Ubisoft makes that'd be worth the download times

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Wakefield said:
I'm gonna say that Ubisoft is just sore about losing this war.
They have to justify the millions of dollars spent getting their DRM up and running, of course they are going to say it hasn't been cracked.

Besides, their denial is bait. If they can get a pirate to come forward, they can go after that pirate.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Xanadu84 said:
The real thing I'm interested in is information on the last PoP game. The one they released with no DRM as an experiment, to see how often it was pirated. Once that comes back as hardly pirated at all, then there will be a true reckoning.
My interest in this situation lies in that the latest PoP game wasn't necessarily a guaranteed best-seller. If they took the DRM off something that was a huge release (AKA, ACII) then that would probably yield more dramatic results.

As it is, it just sounds like a ploy to get people to buy more PoP, if just to "cast their vote with their money." I've seen several comments from people who are buying PoP, not because they necessarily want the game, but because they want future DRM to stop!

Well done, Ubisoft, you are now using our hatred of DRM to sell your games.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
haha.
Do these people not realize that the more that they say their DRM is "uncrackable" the faster it will be cracked? If one thing is true about the internet, it is it is not a good idea to tell them they can't do something?

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Royas said:
Did they download it (gasp, breaking the law!) and play it through? I doubt it.
You raise a good point, is there anyone here who can answer this from a legal perspective? Seeing that Ubisoft are the copyright holders, I presume that they are well within their legal rights illegally obtain a copy of their own product (and in turn upload some of the 'illegal' product as torrents upload as they download right?)

Side Note: Also, if I went out and bought Spore could I then download it off the internet so that I didn't have to bother with DRM?

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
These pirating-topic comment threads are always adorable because we know that up to about 90% of the PC gamers pirate so naturally you can expect that ratio supporting the pirates' side of the story.

I'm guessing what Ubisoft is implying is that they've a secondary copy protection measure in place that prevents some vital feature of the game from unlocking in the pirate version.

Personally, I care less about whether or not the game was cracked and more that they released Silent Hunter 5. Wow, that series has been around forever.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
the_tramp said:
Side Note: Also, if I went out and bought Spore could I then download it off the internet so that I didn't have to bother with DRM?
I'm no expert on copyright law, but from what I've talked over with my brother (who is doing his Masters degree focused on such things) I don't think that's legal.

A lot of laws need to be updated for the digital age.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
Actually i must say, their idea is stupid, i mean what if someone who buys game doesn't have internet?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Wakefield said:
I'm gonna say that Ubisoft is just sore about losing this war.
Yes, yes they are. Of course, anyone with sense could have told them that they were fighting in a silly, silly manner.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
They just held a news conference, here is a pic:

I'm glad he found employment again - I missed his crazy, funny rants about how their where no US troops in the city. Ah, good times.

7ru7h

Jul 8, 2009
PhunkyPhazon said:
They're in denial, awesome. Ubi got what they deserved with this one.
Agreed. You know they had to have expected this would happen when they challenged the hackers to a pissing contest.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
The funny or perverse part (depending on how you look at it) is the only effect more intrusive DRM can possibly have is to discourage genuine sales, if pirates continue to crack it immediately.

So the ratio of pirated copies rises. Solution? Well, more DRM, of course!