Ubisoft Denies Launch Day Crack for Silent Hunter 5 DRM

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
I can confirm personally, that SHV is working perfectly here.

A friend who bought it... not so much. Her wireless is too flaky to be able to play.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Joshc Shin said:
"The full version of the game leaves you with an emptier wallet, a feeling of being screwed over if you are one of the 30% of Americans without broadband, and soreness in your rectum after finishing going through our DRM procedures. We at Ubisoft think this increases the value of our games."
Not to mention the large number of Australians who don't even have a dialup connection, never mind ADSL or Cable.

I understand the desire to protect their game from piracy, but this has been one big PR clusterfuck from day 1 for Ubisoft.

And now they're coming across as a petulant child.

Pirate child - Nah nah nah nah nah, we broke your DRM
Ubiisoft child - Nuh uh, you didn't
Pirate child - Did too
Ubisoft child - Did not
Pirate child - Did too
Ubisoft child - Did not
Pirate child - Did too
Ubisoft child - I'm going to tell on you!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Korten12 said:
Im happy this DRM got cracked but honestly already? do the hackers have no life at all but to hack stuff?
I'm pretty sure they saw it as a challenge

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
Glad I read this I as actually thinking about buying some of those games until I saw the drm. Dear god, I think next Ubisoft is going to want a pint of blood. (Yes I am implying that Ubisoft are a bunch of blood sucking vampires)

That being said, I have never pirated a game. Although, my recent pc game purchases have me wishing that I was a pirate, as I would have uninstalled the game after 10 minutes of playing it. (Bioshock 2, Supreme commander 2)

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
"Please know that this rumor is false and while a pirated version may seem to be complete at start up, any gamer who downloads and plays a cracked version will find that their version is not complete."
Of course UbiSoft are technically correct. It's "not complete", because it doesn't have the DRM! What a bunch of snakes UbiSoft are, I don't support piracy but I still hope that the pirates take Ubi to the cleaners.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Couple of questions: First of all, is it really illegal to download pirated games in the US? I think in The Netherlands (and some other European countries) you can pretty much download anything you want for personal use, you just can't upload it.
Second, how is it possible this was cracked so fast? You have to play on UbiSofts' servers right? It seems to me that if that's the case, they don't have to give you the entire game on the disc. They could omit small files without which the game would crash at certain points (let's say every 5 minutes). If you arrive at these points and you're connected to their server (and you are, because of the DRM) the files get downloaded automatically. I guess that eventually you would get the entire game on your disk, so it can be pirated, but at least you would need to beat the game first. And if the game has some choices (let's say different endings, based on some early choice in the game), you would have to beat it more than once. Seems like that would slow down the pirates...

celeborn10

Jan 20, 2009
Jordi said:
Second, how is it possible this was cracked so fast? You have to play on UbiSofts' servers right? It seems to me that if that's the case, they don't have to give you the entire game on the disc. They could omit small files without which the game would crash at certain points (let's say every 5 minutes). If you arrive at these points and you're connected to their server (and you are, because of the DRM) the files get downloaded automatically. I guess that eventually you would get the entire game on your disk, so it can be pirated, but at least you would need to beat the game first. And if the game has some choices (let's say different endings, based on some early choice in the game), you would have to beat it more than once. Seems like that would slow down the pirates...
I haven't played the new Silent Hunter game but from past experience there is a campaign mode which is essentially a gigantic sandbox and a bunch of playable scenarios. The campaign strives to be historically accurate as some certain fans (nutcases) like to play in real time, calculate the torpedo shots manually with trigonometry and sometimes play with mods that have taken shipping logs and match individual ships with their historical routings. There is going to be very little historical deviance (you might be able to save the Bismark but that is not going to be enough to win the war) and no plot branches to insert individual downloadable bits of data.

They could have the malware coding in the scenarios but I don't think the scenarios are scripted. The scenarios tend to have the proper elements in the right places with AI that responds to events. Maybe if the check were dependent upon a certain location or event it could be feasible. In any event it will be only a matter of time before the pirates find and patch these issues out.

The only area that will remain incomplete or gray will be online play. Scenarios can be played in a wolf pack multiplayer environment. Admittedly the pirates could create servers or play/hack a means to play over LAN. Personally I would like to avoid the proffered straitjacket from Ubisoft. While this particular game is resistant to the restraint the same won't apply for an RPG. (God help us if D3/S2 does cloud)

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
celeborn10 said:
Jordi said:
I haven't played the new Silent Hunter game but from past experience there is a campaign mode which is essentially a gigantic sandbox and a bunch of playable scenarios. The campaign strives to be historically accurate as some certain fans (nutcases) like to play in real time, calculate the torpedo shots manually with trigonometry and sometimes play with mods that have taken shipping logs and match individual ships with their historical routings. There is going to be very little historical deviance (you might be able to save the Bismark but that is not going to be enough to win the war) and no plot branches to insert individual downloadable bits of data.

They could have the malware coding in the scenarios but I don't think the scenarios are scripted. The scenarios tend to have the proper elements in the right places with AI that responds to events. Maybe if the check were dependent upon a certain location or event it could be feasible. In any event it will be only a matter of time before the pirates find and patch these issues out.

The only area that will remain incomplete or gray will be online play. Scenarios can be played in a wolf pack multiplayer environment. Admittedly the pirates could create servers or play/hack a means to play over LAN. Personally I would like to avoid the proffered straitjacket from Ubisoft. While this particular game is resistant to the restraint the same won't apply for an RPG. (God help us if D3/S2 does cloud)
Thanks for the reply! I don't really see how the historical accuracy of the game is relevant, and I also don't understand why it being a sandbox undermines my "idea". I probably didn't explain it very well.
The idea is that I think you can omit some (any) small files from the local installation that are downloaded in the background when they are necessary. The local environment/branch of conversation/general game state that the player is in should trigger this download before the user needs the content in the missing file(s). If I understand how the hacking usually works, disabling checks (to discs or servers) is fairly easy, but making/replacing missing content isn't. So unless they want to program part of a level/enemy/AI/ending/whatever is missing themselves, they have to obtain it from the server. You don't need a branching story for that, it would just make it take longer to get to all the content.

And that's the point. It wouldn't make the game impossible to pirate, it would just make it slower, so that it might not happen on launch day. For long games, it might even take so long that pirates will actually consider buying the game, because they don't want to wait for the crack. Also, I think making the cracking process easy, but slow and long might discourage crackers. Think about it: if every idiot that can play the game can (almost) crack it, where is the pride in that?

I'm just rambling though. Probably none of the things I said are feasible, because if they were, someone smarter than me at UbiSoft would probably have implemented them already.

Ishnuvalok

Jul 14, 2008
Amnestic said:
Ishnuvalok said:
Just checked a reliable source. Cracked and fully functional. Good going Ubisoft.
Is the reliable source your hard drive?

Dirty poirate!
Actually no, I checked a private tracker that specializes in videogames for the torrent. In the comments people said that game was working perfectly.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
At the moment Ubisoft is correct. If you pirate AC2 in its current state, you will have to start the game 21% in so you'll miss the beginning and the first assassination if I'm not mistaken. Not that it's that big of a deal anyways.

As with Silent Hunter 5, it's cracked. From what I've read everything is working now(the last release had problems with the missions).

You lost Ubisoft, deal with it. No point in pretending like nothing ever happened.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Thankyou pirate men. I shall be downloading this after buying AC2. Also, is anyone else confused about why Ubisoft would even care if there was a crack that stops this shit? I'm still gonna buy this game, I'm just not gonna go through their DRM. And this really helps me prove the point that DRM does nothing.

curleymoe

Mar 7, 2010
actually the drm is only 1/2 cracked. *hahah thats funny!* ..er sorry.

anyhow it allows users to run the game and the historical missions. however only the first tier of missions are avail from the Sp campaign mode. ..What it helps to surf TPB and other such forums once in a while.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Wakefield said:
I'm gonna say that Ubisoft is just sore about losing this war.
Yep, this may be the only time where I support pirates for this. Teach them pricks that this is more likely to make people pirate it than buy it! Then the problem circulates!

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
So the new weapon against the pirates are immense levels of arrogance to the point that they're being delusional?

It's one thing admitting to the fact that your immensly stupid DM scheme failed on day one but shotting themselves in the foot by outright LYING to the community is just a entire new level of retarded.

How are these people able to stay in buisness when they act like this?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Korten12 said:
Im happy this DRM got cracked but honestly already? do the hackers have no life at all but to hack stuff?
I guess it's better than stamp collecting or having a heroine addiction.

FiveSpeedf150

Sep 30, 2009
I was kind of excited about SH:V, but I picked it up at the exchange and read about that "Must be online" thing. I already have a game I must be online to play, and that's WoW. I'm not trying to buy a WWII Sub MMORPG here. I play Silent Hunter for the campaign. I'm not going to crutch myself by buying a game where I have to be online for SINGLE PLAYER CONTENT, what if my internet goes out? That's when I would normally turn to such games as Silent Hunter.

Oh well, UBI lost my money. So I'll smirk to myself about this.