Ubisoft: DRM is Ineffective Against Piracy

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Hey Chris,

Will Wright and Spore would like to welcome you to 2008. Glad you could join the party. We've got some Pizza and Gamer Grub for snacks. I'll put on some Chris Brown for background music, he's a pretty cool dude. I heard YouTube is becoming a big deal. We should go watch some videos on it.

Slegiar Dryke

Dec 10, 2013
Great, so they finally listened to what people have been saying FOR YEARS NOW, and somehow it finally got through that "d'oh yeah, they might have a point there".......GREAT...now DUMP Uplay like a bad memory, put your freaking games on steam without a BS second layer of annoyance and double accounts and connection trouble, and go back to doing what you're supposed to be good at...making GAMES.........although there is still alllll that new ammo you've given people lately.....hmmm...gee....might want to try going into the shield business.....sounds like you still need a few good ones maybe.......

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
This would mean a lot more coming from them if:
A) They hadn't been one of the worst companies about DRM for ages now.
and
B) This didn't feel like hopeless damage control in the wake of the multiple "Ubi plz" incidents lately.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
So stop using it and strip Uplay out of existing games that use it so I can buy the ones I'm interested in without having to install another service I don't want?

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
VP of digital publishing? Meh, let's see these words come from someone who's actually at the top.

Going back to the earlier days of digital piracy, on the content creator side different people have always had different reactions to it. With music being the first target some musicians would say 'cool thanks for enjoying or stuff!', while others would lose their shit that people listening to their work without paying.

And getting to the point I don't know if the job has changed hand but earlier on Ubisofts CEO was basically the Lars Ulrich of the video game industry. Some lower level VP having a more neutral opinion isn't going to change much if the head honcho still hasn't changed.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
ShirowShirow said:
Holy hallelujah praise Mary mother of god.

They have finally learned! Kinda sorta. Step in the right direction.
Not the first time they've said some empty anti-DRM rhetoric. They keep putting game-breaking garbage on top of their software anyway.

Edit: to translate this from corporate speak... "Man, Steam gets away with DRM somehow, why can't people love Uplay?"

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Another idiot arguing for games becoming "Services" instead of products.
The moment we let these fools get away with that sort of thinking, that's when we rent games instead of owning them.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
let me summarize my thoughts on this article ~~

IF YOU BUNCH OF $&^*$ ARE GOING AGAINST DRM THEN PUT XII BACK ON GOG.

if they do that then who knows i might not take the oppertunity to punch their ceo should i get the chance.+

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Next up on Obvious News Network: does breathing help you to live. studies point to...yes!

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Rozalia1 said:
The first posters really swallowed the obvious lies quite well.
He isn't saying they'll moving away from DRM, merely that they need to step it up to something more effective (like bricking your game).
Exactly. He talks about 'services' and 'online multiplayer' as a solution. So it isn't a stretch to think that the Diablo III or Sim City models would be absolutely fine in his view. No actual DRM, game-crippling always online requirements for the 'real' experience.

This is spin, nothing else.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Rozalia1 said:
The first posters really swallowed the obvious lies quite well.
He isn't saying they'll moving away from DRM, merely that they need to step it up to something more effective (like bricking your game).
Ubisoft just dropping DRM? Yeah, that'd be a laugh, im serious. That would probably be the best April Fools Joke in the history of all jokes. What they COULD be doing though is remove their shitty UPlay crap from games they sell via Steam, given ya know, Steam is already a DRM-client. If they kept their shitty UPlay client limited to physical-store copies nobody would have a problem, at least with the DRM concept. But you know, thats being optimistic.

If you read closely between the lines, it sounds like..something EA has tried. Something Blizzard has tried. Recently. Kinda big news that, it was something about City..and something about Helldemons and stuff. You know, that obscure thing that nobody talked about..ever?

Yes that was sarcasm. If Ubi tries to do EA's always-online they are dead. Literally.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
You save more money (and increase profits) by losing DRM altogether (because that's just throwing money away uselessly) and not forcing shit down people's throats, you morons. Do something right, for once.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Bryan Nolen said:
Bye bye single player, hello forced online multiplayer
What I pulled from this announcement in a nutshell....

So, yeah...
While I like Ubisoft's games, their DRM practises are satanic... Are they actually going to fix it?

Obviously not, since all that REALLY matters now is the added-in multiplayer that most people I talk to don't give a damn about anyway...

Oh well...
looking forward to Assassin's Creed 6 where other people playing can invade your world Dark-Souls style just to enforce the "Always online multiplayer" aspect... /sarcasm

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
Finally...now can I go back to actually having a slight interest in Ubisoft products that are DRM free? I'd love to take them off my blacklist instead of completely ignoring everything they make.
Nope. They'll still keep Uplay around because... um.. "give us your money nao"? Same as EA.