Ubisoft Eyeballs THQ

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
bringer of illumination said:
Frostbite3789 said:
destroyer2k said:
Noooo this can't happen. If it does than every stinking game will want uplay (or whatever there service is called).

The best thing would be if VALVE bought relic and even if they would make games by valve time is still better than ubisoft, ea, activision.
Then all their games would use Steam. Oh wait, you prefer one DRM over another? Seems a bit daft.
You had best be joking.

Are you REALLY trying to say that all DRM is equally bad?
Yeh Valve started this trend they may have started rocky but i myself have never hated steam or valve for that matter, offline mode is still bullshit but im always online anyway. And the fact we know Gabe takes care of his community and openness....ness. As much as i hate valve time still wouold be better.

yundex

Nov 19, 2009
Chaos Marine said:
BleedingPride said:
Chaos Marine said:
yundex said:
Chaos Marine said:
Fuck no. Ubisoft can do jump off a cliff. DX
Why?
Every PC release they've done has been nothing but a condensed 'FUCK YOU PC GAMING COMMUNITY!'.
How so?
You mean how they habitually refer to PC gamers as pirates. Not just an amount of them but ALL of us. Their DRM is vicious to the extreme, compared to Steam it's like comparing a collar to a collar made of barbed-wire. They assured people that From Dust would not have DRM and yet it did. They lied. How stupid did they think people would be to not notice that crap.

At least Steam does offer an offline mode. Ubisoft's DRM didn't even come with an offline mode. I won't say it's perfect either. I've had time to need it and it's not worked but for the most part, it has worked.

Then of course, any kind of new DRM that comes around, they jump into it full tilt. Remember Starforce? Remember how much bullshit that caused? I build my own computers and for whatever reason, Starforce would throw hissy fits because I had more than one disc drive. In order to play Silent Hunter III I had to open my computer's case up to disconnect the SATA cables. How did I get around it? I used a NOCD crack that bypassed the Starforce crap. I legally buy a lot of games. I've been paying for games since I got work. I won't lie, I have pirated games when I was much, much younger. Because I couldn't afford them and my family wasn't rich enough to let me buy the games I wanted. And I was young and stupid. But now, I am gainfully employed so I buy my games. I've bought games from GoG and Steam that I'd pirated before.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968099168/games?tab=all

Here's my Steam's game list.
Uplay does have an offline mode, and Ubi's recent releases (FC3, screed, rayman) have no online DRM. They've said they were going to drop the always online crap for future titles and they delivered. I will say that they've been a bit bipolar in the past, condemning PC gamers yet continuing to release some of the most niche PC exclusives ever.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
CrossLOPER said:
DrunkOnEstus said:
I've actually kind of warmed up to Ubisoft...they got rid of the ridiculous server DRM,
Anno 2070 has 3 machine activation limits. I mean it's not Max Payne 3 HARDWARE LOCKING but it's still a pain in the ass.
pretty sure i was removed recently

II2

Mar 13, 2010
My main concern is, with PC platform preferance, Ubisoft's "UPlay" becoming a part of THQ, more specifically Relic's games. It's what could directly serve to anger me the most.

UPlay is always on, always online DRM/Storefront/Bullshit. UPlay : Ubisoft = Origin : EA

Max_A_Buck

Jun 16, 2009
To me it makes a lot of sense. THQ did have some decent money makers that were (objectively) good games as well. If Ubisoft threw their weight behind those franchises and focused less on the dying franchises then this could work out alright.

While the situation isn't ideal to some, I'd prefer have THQ sold to Ubisoft than see THQ sink all together.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
I'm kinda worried about the whole thing to, especialy considering the DRM issue. But I might remember everyone, that all (newerish) THQ games I know of needed Steam. Hell: DoW II needed Games for Windows Live and that is one shitty piece of DRM. I really hope to see the 40k licence in good hands and I fear Ubisoft might not have the best intentions for it. Especially considered from a PC gamers standpoint. DoW could never survive in a console focused evironment (neither would CoH)and that would be a real loss.
But I don't really know what to make out of this. I just hope the best for THQ and for all their great studios and IPs.

For Those hoping on Valve: Dawn of War III. Darksiders III. See the problem there? (also later maybe CoH III, Metro III)

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Z of the Na said:
Chaos Marine said:
Every PC release they've done has been nothing but a condensed 'FUCK YOU PC GAMING COMMUNITY!'.
With this kind of attitude, I can't imagine why.
It's because of their attitude to us in the first place that I'm like this at all to begin with.

I liked the Silent Hunter series so I bought them all, I liked the Prince of Persia series so I bought them all, even since the series started going down hill for me after The Sands of Time. Fuck, I even bought that cell-shaded one the released a few years back simply because they didn't include any DRM on it and I wanted to show my support for non-DRM infested games. Nothing happened. I have a good number of Ubisoft games but their attitude over the last two or three odd years has soured me on them.