Ubisoft Kills Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on PC

Dec 16, 2009
do they know consoles can be hacked to play "back ups" ?
its more difficult but not impossible
i hate multiplayer, so wont touch if free to play or not

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
DracoSuave said:
I mean, they're ruining their own market. People pirate on consoles, too, it's just that they don't get as much attention.
That's because it's not even half as easy. You have to physically modify your console, generally paying someone to do it. Then you have to copy the files to a media the console can read or use. It's just not as prevalent.
Bollocks it's not easy. Softmodding a console is a 30 minute job at most (yeah you can still pay people to do it if you don't like playing with screwdrivers and SATA cables)... and 'copy files to media the can read'? Like... oh, a DVD or flashdrive? How is that NOT easy?
I never said it was difficult.

I said that it was more complicated than piracy on computers. The moment you're talking about a 30 minute job, you've already lost the argument. It IS more complicated. And that creates a barrier to entry that causes most console buyers not to mod their consoles.

On top of this, there is risk involved; Sega and MS are continually trying to make it so that altered machines don't work, meaning that just because your mod works today, doesn't mean your mod will work tomorrow.

On the other hand, your computer is already enabled for piracy. Is it a computer? If Yes, you're ready. If no, then how are you on the internet you crazy technomantic psychic you!

30 minutes of work just to get your console ready TO pirate? Some people are deterred by that and go 'Fuck it, I'll just take 15 minutes to go to the store and buy it.'

Let's not pretend console piracy is as prevalent as PC piracy, or as easy. It just isn't. Anyone who claims to believe otherwise is lying. Flat, out, lying.

Dec 16, 2009
so Ubisoft have said no pc port for I Am Alive, a Free to Play multiplayer but no single player fo pc Ghost Recon, and holding Beyond Good and Evil fans to ransom to buy the new Rayman.
Poor show Ubisoft, trying to recoup the losses from all them post-it notes?

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I am half tempted to encourage piracy of Ubifails software, after all if you are going to get tarred with that brush you may as well get the benefits out of it too.
Right ?

... then again Ubifails dont make PC games so its a moot point, wish they would just come out and say they dont make PC games and stop confusing the easily confused masses.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
DracoSuave said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
DracoSuave said:
I mean, they're ruining their own market. People pirate on consoles, too, it's just that they don't get as much attention.
That's because it's not even half as easy. You have to physically modify your console, generally paying someone to do it. Then you have to copy the files to a media the console can read or use. It's just not as prevalent.
Bollocks it's not easy. Softmodding a console is a 30 minute job at most (yeah you can still pay people to do it if you don't like playing with screwdrivers and SATA cables)... and 'copy files to media the can read'? Like... oh, a DVD or flashdrive? How is that NOT easy?

I said that it was more complicated than piracy on computers. The moment you're talking about a 30 minute job, you've already lost the argument. It IS more complicated. And that creates a barrier to entry that causes most console buyers not to mod their consoles.[...]
Let's see: Give a guy some cash, wait 30 minutes, and then be able to play any pirated game which, for better or for worse, works exactly like the bought version, since the game data does not get modified (console piracy), as opposed to looking for a virus-free crack that does not influence game behaviour too much, for each and every game I want to pirate (pc piracy)?

Yeah, PC piracy is much easier.

Granted, the initial effort on consoles is a bit higher (although I would argue that searching for and evaluating cracks can take around 30 minutes, too, and this for each game), but after that, it becomes infinitely easier on consoles.

OT: I don't condone Piracy, except for exactly one case: Using it as a demo.
The companies want me to give them my money, so I will evaluate their product, just as I do with everything else, be it online or real life. And since I can't return a game if it sucks, as opposed to, say, a bag of chips that have gone moldy or the like, I am pirating games for that very reason. Simple solution: Release demos again. For the love of god, do.

And if you somehow don't think customers are entitled to sample a product prior to byuing, then I have a perfectly good used car deal for you.

Clarification: In germany, you can't even return a game after you've undone the shrink wrap. No key has been utilised, no activation has occured, not even the booklet or disc has been taken out, but you simply can't return it. Brave new world that some people here even seem to welcome...

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
DracoSuave said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
DracoSuave said:

I said that it was more complicated than piracy on computers.
Actually you did. Do we need to play the antonym game?

The moment you're talking about a 30 minute job, you've already lost the argument. It IS more complicated. And that creates a barrier to entry that causes most console buyers not to mod their consoles.
Actually, from the shitpot of people who've asked me about modded consoles and talking to mates who run a side business modding consoles, the thing that pulls people up short is the risk a modded console poses to their precious online account.

On top of this, there is risk involved; Sega and MS are continually trying to make it so that altered machines don't work, meaning that just because your mod works today, doesn't mean your mod will work tomorrow.
Sega? bwahaha...

That could be a problem if you modchipped... if you softmodded it's just an inconvenience... and saying any more on that would probably be breaking the forum rules.

Also, if you take a modded console online, well, that's your look out... That's like using a pirated OS online without taking certain precautions.

30 minutes of work just to get your console ready TO pirate? Some people are deterred by that and go 'Fuck it, I'll just take 15 minutes to go to the store and buy it.'
Yes and some people if you gave them a gold dinner plate would ***** that it was too heavy.

I mean really... you think that people who have no moral qualms about piracy are suddenly going to say '30 WHOLE minutes so I can get free stuff? fuck that, I'm paying full price!'?

Let's not pretend console piracy is as prevalent as PC piracy, or as easy. It just isn't.
So where are you hiding all the hard numbers on piracy prevalency and why aren't you sharing them with publishers instead of leaving them to pull random numbers out of their arses?

How about we not pretend anyone has a definitive answer instead?

Flip-Shying

Jun 22, 2011
I was going to buy it on PS3, but also owning a PC I've decided to give Ubisoft the finger and not buy this game.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
yeeeaaah... ubi... you are getting more titles that are being more and more meh... bye ubi.. get the f*** out of my house thank you. Gonna be with BioWare and EA later

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Like I said in the previous thread: Fine Ubisoft. Give up on the PC, it's much more honest then what you were doing by kneecapping all your PC games with your DRM. However, as part of the divorce settlement, I want all your studios that develop PC exclusive titles (Anno 2070, Settlers, Silent Hunter, Might & Magic) placed in foster homes like Valve or Stardock, because you've proven time and time again you're a horrible abusive parent to them.

Seriously, don't keep releasing games that you haven't been able to get working with a controler and which regretably you need to release on that wretched hive of scum and villainy that is the PC. And then don't tell us that the horrible, horrible DRM that comes with it is neccesary because it will stop the pirates. You've admited the DRM isn't worth jack, if 95% of all people interested in your PC games pirate it (a figure which I seriously doubt). You've put your cards on the table Ubisoft. You hate PC gamers, and now we hate you too. Fuck off to the consoles and start whining how the second hand market there is killing your profits, and leave the programmers that actually have some love for games release PC clasics in peace.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
AverageJoe said:
Guys, PLEASE buy Assassin's Creed Revelations and let the figures show them we want their PC releases.
Sorry but no.

Firstly because I have no interest in the game and secondly because I don't believe in rewarding people for dickish behaviour.
You have no interest in the game... Alright... Then why did you even bother replying to my post? I'm not going to change your mind if you don't like the game and I wasn't asking for opinions on it. My post should be meaningless to you....?

I was talking to Assassin's Creed fans who might pirate or ignore the game simply because of its DRM. I think thats fucking stupid, and I always have. There is no DRM out there that makes a great game not worth getting. It's just DRM. If it bothers people that much or causes problems, it's circumvented with a crack that takes 2 minutes to download and 2 seconds to copy into the game folder. It's a stupid decision that I agree we should not encourage, however it does not outweigh all the time and effort that goes into making an excellent game like Assassin's Creed.

DRM is simply fluff on the outside of a game. We don't boycott a game because it has one feature we don't like, if we like all the other features, do we? So why is DRM any different to that. When it comes to the DRM issue, one thing I can agree with on Ubisoft's side is that PC gamers are whiners, who make mountains out of molehills.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Well, I stopped getting the new Ubisoft games as soon as they integrated the always online DRM - even though I would have loved to play the new Heroes

WaffleCopters

Dec 13, 2009
hmm, not for PC because youre just going to pirate it? thats a shame, maybe ill pirate it for 360 instead SINCE YOU CAN DO THAT. nice thinking ubi...

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
DracoSuave said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
DracoSuave said:

I said that it was more complicated than piracy on computers.
Actually you did. Do we need to play the antonym game?
Not with someone who doesn't understand the difference between a comparison "It's not even half as easy" with an absolute statement "It's not easy."

Two people can be fat. However if I say one person 'Is not even half as fat as the other' that in no way is stating that said person is skinny. It just means he's not as fat.

The rest of it reads more as an advertisement or justification for piracy than an actual argument stating that console piracy isn't more involved, or as easy, as PC piracy. Fact is: The moment you said that it's a 30 minute physical alteration of the unit, yes, it IS actually less easy.

And as for the virus issue... yes, you still run the same risk of computer intrusion acquiring pirated software for a console as you do on the computer--given that it uses the exact same mechanics, websites, etc....

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Hey, Ubi . . . I'm gonna just go ahead and box up all my hard copies of games you've published and distributed over the years, and ship them to you. They're old enough that I couldn't collect much more than a nickel for selling them, and i don't have much use for them, either . . . there's also gonna be a little love letter that's going to politely tell you to go fuck yourself, and it will blatantly state I'm no longer going to support any software developer or title that you publish, develop and or distribute. You'll no longer have to worry about my small fraction of a percentage of the PC market possibly hampering your style, and I highly doubt that it will bother you anyhow, seeing as how you seem to fuly support consoles.

But, just to give you a head's up, it's gonna be a large box, as it will contain the following (and keep in mind I still have the original box packaging for the older titles):

Myst
Myst II
Myst III
Myst IV
Myst V
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Heroes of Might & Magic V
Assasin's Creed
Far Cry
Far Cry 2
Forgotten Realms: Pools of Radiance
Ghost Recon
Ghost Recon 2
Rainbow Six
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Rainbow Six 3

God help ya, too, if I manage to dig out my old NES and SNES titles.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
DracoSuave said:
And as for the virus issue... yes, you still run the same risk of computer intrusion acquiring pirated software for a console as you do on the computer--given that it uses the exact same mechanics, websites, etc....
In case that was directed at my post:
Please learn the difference between data and executable files. Yes, data files can be infected, but executables more so. And most of the time it's not the website visit that infects your PC, it's the files you download and execute. Granted, drive-by infections are on the rise again, but apart from that it's far less risky to pirate on a console than on a PC.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
snfonseka said:
TitanAtlas said:
mParadox said:
The first sentence pretty much sums up how Ubisoft is acting with the PC crowd. I r sad. 3:

What other significant game series does Ubisoft have I wonder...
Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Driver, Heroes of Might and Magic, Prince of Persia and Brothers in Arms comes to mind... Other than that i can't remember any game that's worth to be mentioned...
The only game I am interested in is Splinter Cell. They can keep their games for themselves, if they don't want PC Gamers' money then... so be it..
I admit if they launch a beyond good and evil 2 i might get it... or rayman...

Other then that, They can all burn in hell... xD

ReaperOne1Two2

Nov 1, 2011
Double A said:
Kanova said:
I'm not really surprised. Most of the people I know torrent and I am sure that a huge amount of people torrent PC games. They sure do lose a ton of money to pirates. A lot. So, yeah. I guess that is what happens.
Judging by the reactions in this thread, a lot of people don't pirate. There isn't an efficient way of finding out how many people do it, and it's even more impossible to calculate how many of them would buy the game if they had to, they're just pirating for teh lulz, or any other reason.
(This deals with PC pirating. Consoles are busy worrying about trade-ins more then anything.)

-Response to quote-
On a wild guess this thread is a terrible representation of pirates especially since it seems none will go forward with it or even if they do, they won't come outright and say it with their reason. That and as you said a completely lack of way to measure it.

-Extra info on pirating history and who will probably pirate-
The people who pirate aren't generally your "average user" on the pc but normally have better knowledge of internet/computers. Piracy became much, more common knowledge and more accessible for people to figure out how to do it basically(First major ease of use jump starting with napster/limewire etc... with music. Then again with torrent programs like bit-torrent/utorrent which is basically where it's still at and much larger in gaming then it was with limewire and such.) To put this is perspective most computer users don't know how to pirate even if they play non casual games(Even on a vent I frequent it seems every new person doesn't seem to know how to do it yet are 20+). That definitely puts Ubisofts numbers completely out of any realistic situation.

-Random info on some old DRM-
As some pointed out developers were still trying to stop piracy back in the day and it was probably quite effectively actually due to a lack of ease of use to find answers to piracy countermeasures in games like Kings Quest/Castles 2 although piracy was probably pretty minimal then. If anyone remembers those annoying answers to questions that you had to answer right from the manual(I actually lost the Kings Quest 6 manual back then causing me to pretty much not finish the game till a much much later date)

-Pirating Scares-
One thing commonly said always you see it all the time but basically since windows, never occurs or even on XP if you stuck to what has credibility is viruses. It is actually very rare for these to ever occur and experienced users never get them. That or anti-virus easily takes care of it.(Not an endorsement/encouragement if it needs to be reworded in a way let me know. It's just really a common scare tactic that originated from somewhere and used by developers all the time. It does work on people who are brand new to computers and in fact does keep them from ever going near pirating for the most part in cases unless they are influenced by pirates or curiosity)

-Reasons normally for pirating-
Basically some of the common reasons you'll see or hear are over,

-Cost-
Australia is especially common to see this.)

-Single-Player-
(Less common but still occurs, more often with people who like competitive multi-player, but still interested in playing a single-player game occasionally) - The game is only single-player so it lacks re-playability over little challenge or interaction. Also theirs absolutely no downside to pirating in this case at all (Multi-player actually has an incentive to play with larger bodies of players)

-Ease Of Access-
The area doesn't carry the game at all or in any reasonable means.

-Friends-
Not everyone owns the same games and don't want to buy a full price game to play with friends that they may play with only a few times.(This one is very major as you see with f2p games)

-Quality Control-
This one is now turning into a much more common one in which games are poorly optimized for the PC and not tested on some hardware specs or the game does not scale well at all on graphics settings due to lack of options or choice. We recently got nailed with a lot of these(Brink, Sonic Generations actually fits in here due to extreme requirements for little, Rage, etc...) It is not uncommon to just see flat out lies on system requirements basically, especially for minimal which you would assume means everything on lowest in 640x800 resolution which many times means less then 5fps on this setting. Or content is grossly over stated or hyped(Spore). This is the one that spawns the downloading game as a demo. Developers don't go out of their way normally to release an early demo for various reasons(Up to you to interpret the reason, if their hiding something etc..).

-DRM-
This one is more then likely over done and used as an excuse to bash with a lot(Ubisoft had it coming basically especially with the single player internet requirements). As for multi-player interruptions surprisingly you don't see many complaints about things for steam friends going down as an example on games(If they have multiplayer and it goes down under this system generally it is the dev's risk they took).

TLDR: Ubisofts most likely making up numbers or getting them with extreme bias, although it was probably hopeless due to their product quality along with the bad reputation they got dished out from all over the internet for their DRM and continued pushing it. Pirating will probably rise due to Quality Control issues. Also lots of extra info on pirating. Then reasons normally for pirating.

Feel free to leave comments responses arguments etc... or to just add to the post. Although I don't check on this site often, I was on to see if anyone responded to games I couldn't get I.D's on mainly.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Hah, I read this and thought "Oh bugger...the 'YARR' tag I use in UT2004 for the new 2v2 TDM cup has made Ubisoft think we're all pirates! :`(

OT: What a load of shit. Well done shafting the many because of the....many.