Ubisoft Kills Ghost Recon: Future Soldier on PC

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
devotedsniper said:
95%, wonder how many of those actually bought the game but hated the DRM? my guess is at least 60%... Wonder if this means the new rainbow six won't be out on the pc, shame i liked both of the series.
You can count me as one of those that bought a game and then pirated it because of the DRM. I have farcry 2 digital download on the ubistore and a pirated copy so i can actualy play it. since then I have not bought or played anything from ubisoft because of the drm.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
If Ubisoft actually released anything besides Rabbids (seriously, who in the world plays this) and Assassin's Creed remakes, I'd give a crap about them. I'm kinda glad they admitted to sucking hard at countering piracy and gave up on PC gamers; less shit cluttering up Steam's main page.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
I don't get it Ubisoft, are we supposed to give a shit about what you think of us? Cause last time we checked, you don't make great games anyway so yeah I guess we both agree you shouldn't have our money.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I can see their reasoning. I know lots and lots of pc gamers. Most of them pirate games, not just one or two but alot of their games. When the option to download something for free comes up people will take it.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Pro-tip, as one game designer to another....

... Don't insult your customers. Even "pirates" are "potential customers". I wager just because many people here downloaded an mp3 once doesn't mean they'll never buy a song off iTunes or just because I watched a movie on Youtube doesn't mean I'll never go to the theater ever again.

Or, do what the Serious Sam 3 guys did. In gist, "Gee, pirates have a much BETTER service than most developers. Let's see, I go to a store, buy a game, install it, install the client, patch the game, patch the client, login to their proprietary online system, while the game is filled with DRM and always-on internet spot-checking.... OR I just download a cheap, easy, DRM-free version from Pirate Bay."

You want people to BUY your games? Give them a better experience than the pirated copies. Hell, the Witcher 2 devs outright said that's how THEY fight piracy (and they've done VERY well for themselves.)

But, oh well... 95% of all people are pirates now. Let's just stop making games ENTIRELY. SOMEONE is going to pirate the game somewhere, on PC, XBox, PS3, or Wii! Just... go be a janitor or a carpenter or a tax accountant or something.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
zombie711 said:
I can see their reasoning. I know lots and lots of pc gamers. Most of them pirate games, not just one or two but alot of their games. When the option to download something for free comes up people will take it.
Interesting, in my case it's the opposite. All my friends that play on PC don't pirate games, every single person I know with an xbox has mostly pirated games, maybe one or two original games. Must be the geography lol.

Evill_Bob

Nov 18, 2009
If it wasn't for the Rayman Series I'd write off Ubisoft, cause I could not give less of a crap about their other stuff and their attitude towards gamers.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
vrbtny said:
Ubisoft are being douches to PC gamers?

Wow. I made this exact same post yesterday... Ubisoft are becoming predictable.
I love you, John Stewart man.

OT: Yeah, Ubisoft is really kinda shitting the bed here.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
-_-

Huh...

Don't they understand that their is piracy on the consoles to? I mean it isn't as easy to do, and their is less of it, but still, it exists.
If anything, people are going to target them exclusively on the consoles just to get back at them.

But thanks Ubisoft, I was feeling like I needed to be called a criminal today.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Did something happen to make Ubisoft become operated by a bunch of spoiled eight-year-olds? Because that's exactly what they sound like.

"If you don't wanna pay for it then NO ONE can has it. nananana."

Ubisoft, you have shot yourself in the foot. Again. You're making that cop that did it literally during a safety presentation look like fucking Einstein.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
PC Gaming is dying in the most unexpected way possible.

OK, not really. Ubisoft, can't wait to pirate your games with emulators and stuff. Then again, I don't even use PCs to game.

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
Have we had the usual assortment of people insisting that they only pirate games as a sort of demo without permission? We have? Lovely. They won't mind if I borrow their car, then. And even if they did, it doesn't matter, I'm just taking it for a testdrive without permission. How about the "a pirated copy isn't a lost sale" thing? How about people arguing that the developers should just bend over and think of France? Both of those? Lovely. It's a real great crowd out here tonight, folks.

Trishbot said:
Pro-tip, as one game designer to another....

... Don't insult your customers. Even "pirates" are "potential customers".
Everyone with an appropriate game platform and the money is a "potential customer". Even people who don't are "potential customers". I assure you, it is incredibly difficult to pay the light bill with "potential money".

There is no significant increase in pirates whether a game has DRM or not, including The Witcher 2. In fact, it was stolen several times more than it was bought, CD Projekt says.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/the-witcher-2-pirated-45-million-times-cd-projekt-6346876

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
KefkaCultist said:
Did something happen to make Ubisoft become operated by a bunch of spoiled eight-year-olds? Because that's exactly what they sound like.

Ubisoft, you have shot yourself in the foot. Again. You're making that cop that did it literally during a safety presentation look like fucking Einstein.
I can't blame them. If their DRM is both a)causing hatred of them, and b)not slowing pirates down one bit, then they have no effective way of protecting their investment. If they don't feel it's worth it, they're not going to port.

This is an ultimatum: deal with their DRM or not at all. "If you won't stop pirating, we'll give you nothing to pirate." What bugs me is how people are absolving the pirates of all responsibility for this. Even if it's a bad decision, it arises from the pirates' actions.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
JonnWood said:
KefkaCultist said:

I can't blame them. If their DRM is both a)causing hatred of them, and b)not slowing pirates down one bit, then they have no effective way of protecting their investment. If they don't feel it's worth it, they're not going to port.

This is an ultimatum: deal with their DRM or not at all. "If you won't stop pirating, we'll give you nothing to pirate." What bugs me is how people are absolving the pirates of all responsibility for this. Even if it's a bad decision, it arises from the pirates' actions.
Admittedly something needs to be done about piracy, but I think pissing of a lot of customers is not the right way. I mean, people hated them for the excessive DRM that didn't work and probably provoked more pirating, but a good number of people still bought the games. Now a large majority is pissed off at the company due to all the recent events (calling out PC gamers for bitching etc.) and from looking at the comments here of both PC and console gamers making threats of boycott they're gonna lose money still.

JacketteFarcryer

Jan 25, 2012
The Far Cry PC Game Series, inparticular the very first of this series is a classic example of PC Gamer's being "Left_Out_In_The_COLD!" by Ubisoft.

Following the release of each game in the series, & up to a specific point in time (3-6 months), they gave assisted support. But just like the "Bear Trap Syndrome" mentioned in an above post, they suddenly withdraw all support for their releases.

After that if you searched for say Far Cry 1, all you'd get was links to Far Cry 2, now it's Far Cry 3, though the graphics were good, thank God they at least had the sense to change the games location from Africa (which clearly just didn't work for as an in game experience.

(No disrespect or offence meant to the country or it's peoples)

I just can't fathom why Ubisoft even bothered to release PC games in the first place if they're just going to ultimately do this big back_flip of a temper tantrum and dump blame on ALL PC users as pirates when clearly we are NOT.

The community I'm involved with simply don't allow you in it if they know you don't have a bought copy of the original Far Cry 1 Game. I'm quite happy to stay with that community all of us respect the rules. It works.

Why can't Ubisoft respect us in return?