Ubisoft Passes on No More Heroes Remake

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Ubisoft Passes on No More Heroes Remake

Ubisoft has announced that it will not be publishing the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of No More Heroes.

Suda51's No More Heroes was an oddity in almost every way. Not only was it satirical and often incredibly bizarre, it was also a violent and very adult game for the Wii. No More Heroes was published in the US by Ubisoft, the publisher has announced that while it will still be publishing No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle in January, it won't be releasing the HD Remake No More Heroes: Heroes' Paradise. "Ubisoft will not be publishing either of these versions," a company spokesperson told G4 [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/700862/Ubisoft-Not-Publishing-No-More-Heroes-Heroes-Paradise-Aka-No-More-Heroes-HD-.html].

Given that the game feels a better fit for the 360 and PS3, Ubisoft's decision to pass on Heroes' Parasdise seems an odd one. The company gave no reason for its decision. All is not lost however, as Ubisoft's decision does not prevent the game from seeing a North American release, but it does mean that a new publisher must be secured.

Source: via 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177036]

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
inb4 GonzoGamer.

And I'm gonna have to disagree on the game being a better fit on the PS3/360, as part of what No More Heroes great was how well the motion controls were integrated into the combat. Taking that away would make the game less fun to play for sure. And I can't see this game picking up another publisher. Games have to sell way more on the 360/PS3 to make a profit than they do on the Wii, and No More Heroes isn't exactly a game made for mainstream audiences.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
What about Europe, do we have a different publisher for this remake? I've been oogling No More Heroes for ages, but because I lack a Wii and am not planning to buy one I was hoping on a PS3/360 release. I hope we're not affected by this.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I am glad for this because when an interesting game is on the wii it looses all importance on othe systems

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Mr. Fister said:
inb4 GonzoGamer.

And I'm gonna have to disagree on the game being a better fit on the PS3/360, as part of what No More Heroes great was how well the motion controls were integrated into the combat. Taking that away would make the game less fun to play for sure. And I can't see this game picking up another publisher. Games have to sell way more on the 360/PS3 to make a profit than they do on the Wii, and No More Heroes isn't exactly a game made for mainstream audiences.
Agreed on all counts and this is from somebody who thinks NMH was sorely underappreciated.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
It's probably because NMH likely fell below sales expectations for the Wii and Ubisoft doesn't want to invest in something that isn't a sure thing. I'm not hating on it, I loved NMH for the Wii and I don't think a graphical upgrade will do much to enhance the experience, but in these times, you can't be as open with the niche games as you could before.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
nilcypher said:
Given that the game feels a better fit for the 360 and PS3
How do you figure? As far as I'm concerned, the motion-based combat was the only thing the game had going for it.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
yourbeliefs said:
It's probably because NMH likely fell below sales expectations for the Wii and Ubisoft doesn't want to invest in something that isn't a sure thing. I'm not hating on it, I loved NMH for the Wii and I don't think a graphical upgrade will do much to enhance the experience, but in these times, you can't be as open with the niche games as you could before.
But they're investing in NMH2.

I guess that could be a prior commitment, though.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
pneuma08 said:
yourbeliefs said:
That's because the first No More Heroes sold more than enough for them to make a good profit from. Wii games don't have to sell nearly as much to break even as a 360/PS3 game. It both explains why they're backing NMH2 for Wii but not NMH for PS360.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Mr. Fister said:
pneuma08 said:
yourbeliefs said:
That's because the first No More Heroes sold more than enough for them to make a good profit from. Wii games don't have to sell nearly as much to break even as a 360/PS3 game. It both explains why they're backing NMH2 for Wii but not NMH for PS360.
Hm, I'm not entirely convinced. From what I understand, the game is already developed (or being developed) without them; Ubisoft just needs to localize and print copies of it, the former of which has already been done for the Wii. Unless I'm missing something big, those expenses should be roughly equal across all systems.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
iamq said:
HG131 said:
Hmmmmmmm, I could see both Sony and MS trying to get publisher.
I'd rather like it being EA.
If it's EA, they're going to make the game, charge 60 bucks and release a total of 30 bucks worth of DLC that should have been in the game.

of course if it was Ubisoft, it would have been subscription based

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Mr. Fister said:
Unlikely. The X360 and PS3 versions cost a lot less to make (and it doesn't even sound like Ubisoft will be responsible for developing costs, since it's being developed without their support) and possibly market than the original Wii version. The developing cost is also a lot smaller, with the only major overhaul being the graphics and control schemes. Also, it's going to be released into a larger and much more friendly user base than the original. Even when taking into account that a large number of X360/PS3 owners have already played the game on their Wii, the game is still entering the market on a fairly favorable position.

Perhaps the game has been badly marred by the lack of motion controls; to the point that Ubisoft decided that the game will not succeed. I'm left wondering why they didn't wait til next year, when Sony's balls and Natal are going to be released.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
I would like to argue that the Wii is actually the most appropriate home for No More Heroes, as part of the game's point was to investigate nostalgia, and the Wii just seems to hold a better retro appeal than the 360 or PS3. Not only that, but the game had superb motion controls.

As for attaining a new publisher, I'm not sure if that is possible. Doesn't Ubisoft have the puclishing rights for the game? If so, I don't see how one could give those to, say, Activision or EA.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I hope it still gets a PS3/360 release with another publisher.

It is a game I want to play... but not enough to spend £180 on an Wii just for that.

Plus, I don't have a TV (in the UK you have to play an annual fee to the government, basically a TV tax to fund the BBC) and I play my PS3 and 360 on a computer monitor using the HDMI and DVI inputs. If I had a Wii I'd need to get a TV and pay that fee every year.