Ubisoft Passes on No More Heroes Remake

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
I'm guessing Ubisoft is just sick of having to go to the bank so often to deposit huge amounts of money. I mean, gas ain't cheap people.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
If they get the remake onto the 360 and released in Europe, there will be absolutely no reason for me to keep my Wii, since it makes sense that the sequel will be ported as well. No More Heroes was the main reason I got the Wii in the first place, and now the only reason I haven't sold it yet.

As it stands, I can't really play NMH (or any Wii game involving remote waving) any more because of the way my room at university is laid out - part of the sensor bar is blocked and I can't do anything about it, so combat is practically impossible.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Darth Rahu said:
Yopaz said:
Mr. Fister said:
inb4 GonzoGamer.

And I'm gonna have to disagree on the game being a better fit on the PS3/360, as part of what No More Heroes great was how well the motion controls were integrated into the combat. Taking that away would make the game less fun to play for sure. And I can't see this game picking up another publisher. Games have to sell way more on the 360/PS3 to make a profit than they do on the Wii, and No More Heroes isn't exactly a game made for mainstream audiences.
Dude, you're totally right. This game was made for the Wii and it was awesome. Playing it on my 360 wouldn't give the same feeling as having it on my Wii. I would think the gameplay would get bland and boring without the wii making it what it is.
Agreed, I got the same feeling when I downloaded the Banjo-Kazooie game on Xbox Live Arcade. It didn't feel the same as playing it on the N64 because it was unique and there wasn't the stink of Rare selling out something good to Microsoft.
I thought about too before I bought Banjo Kazooie. I didn't want to lose the feeling of playing it for the Nintendo 64. I thought it was an improvement though, but that may be me having bad memories of the controllers... Mario party caused severe pains and made so much skin fall off... still a great game though.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
Xzi said:
Darth Rahu said:
Yopaz said:
Mr. Fister said:
inb4 GonzoGamer.

And I'm gonna have to disagree on the game being a better fit on the PS3/360, as part of what No More Heroes great was how well the motion controls were integrated into the combat. Taking that away would make the game less fun to play for sure. And I can't see this game picking up another publisher. Games have to sell way more on the 360/PS3 to make a profit than they do on the Wii, and No More Heroes isn't exactly a game made for mainstream audiences.
I disagree with your disagreement. The Wii's controls really didn't add anything to the game. You either held the remote high to attack in a high stance, or held it low to attack in a low stance. You could simulate that with the PS3's motion controller, or even better, just cut it out completely and allow the press or hold of a button to change stances. Unfortunately for the Wii, some of the best rated games on the system usually use the motion controls the least. Which also makes them easy to port onto systems with the ability to improve the graphics of said games.
You're forgetting charging your sword, the cellphone functionality, and the minigames. Charging your sword is only fun when your doing a jacking-off motion. If you were to reduce that to a button-pressing quick-time-event, it's charm would be lost and it would be deemed an annoyance. The cellphone functionality can not be mimicked on any other console, because only the Wii Remote has a speaker in its controller. And minigames don't make the transfer from Wii to HD very well (see Raving Rabbids).

Newo

May 21, 2009
I don't think it would have been the same on another console.
Anoyone remember the throws?
The finishing attacks?
After awhile you got into the game and exagerated and where swinging the Wiimote all over the place. These kinda things are what makes the game for me and I don't think it would have been as fun on any other console.

Edit: I just noticed a few people above me made the point im trying to make.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I'm not sure they can work out the combat the way it did on the Wii. I mean, part of the combat was to hold the remote either horizontally or vertically to change your stance and your attacks' direction. When I think on how they can adapt it to an analog stick, it comes to me as awkward. I sure hope this doesn't fly.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Didn't the first one sell like shit on the Wii, like Madworld? Just goes to show what the main audience of the Wii is.

The game would be much better suited to the PS3/360. First of all, no gimmicky waggle controls, so you can create a much more complex fighting system and moves like DMC4, Ninja Gaiden etc. What's happened here is that the remote/nunchuk functionality is used to mask how terribly shallow the fighting system is. So shallow, that it is quite possible to win half the fights in the game by -- get this -- turning your back on the TV and mashing the A button while vigorously shaking the remote in random directions. There's essentially only one slash and one kick, and the gimmick is that when an enemy is near death you get a prompt to "slash" with the remote in a specific direction to finish them off, though it usually doesn't matter in which direction you slash -- nine times out of ten the game will register a hit regardless of direction. And the various wrestling moves you acquire (which you are prompted to use once you've stunned an enemy with a kick) are yet another smokescreen, since all they do is add variety to the finishing moves, but not to all the fighting that precedes them.

In fact, even the graphics in this game suck for a Wii game -- in perfect post-graphics style NMH is a huge step back from Killer 7 which was a PS2 game, with basic 3D models and cheap textures for every object.

The open world sandbox could be much larger and more detailed, because driving around the place is depressing, since it's devoid of any kind of life, or any location worth seeing. Plus it wouldn't run at like 25fps and it wouldn't sell like crap.

Meh, but what do I care? Keep it on the Wii, I'll just play GOW3, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, Nier and the next Yakuza game for my hack and slash fix.

RoseBridge

Oct 27, 2009
Mr. Fister said:
inb4 GonzoGamer.

yeah your right it was great on the wii, and I heard for a not mainstream game it did Fantastic, at least on all the review tv shows and magazines.
still achievements and trophys would be nice.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Treblaine said:
I hope it still gets a PS3/360 release with another publisher.

It is a game I want to play... but not enough to spend £180 on an Wii just for that.

Plus, I don't have a TV (in the UK you have to play an annual fee to the government, basically a TV tax to fund the BBC) and I play my PS3 and 360 on a computer monitor using the HDMI and DVI inputs. If I had a Wii I'd need to get a TV and pay that fee every year.
No, you just have to be persistent in convincing the licensing department that you don't watch broadcast television.

I have a 21 inch CRT television that I got second hand specifically for my Wii.
I wrote to the Television licensing department explaining the situation, and though they were a little persistent in reminding me of the obligations, they did accept my explanation.

You don't technically have to pay to own a television. Just to actually watch what is broadcast.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
BaldursBananaSoap said:
Didn't the first one sell like shit on the Wii, like Madworld? Just goes to show what the main audience of the Wii is.
It sold enough to merit a sequel, didn't it? Less cost means less sales to make a profit. So, by Wii-game standards, it was actually pretty profitable.
The game would be much better suited to the PS3/360. First of all, no gimmicky waggle controls, so you can create a much more complex fighting system and moves like DMC4, Ninja Gaiden etc. What's happened here is that the remote/nunchuk functionality is used to mask how terribly shallow the fighting system is. So shallow, that it is quite possible to win half the fights in the game by -- get this -- turning your back on the TV and mashing the A button while vigorously shaking the remote in random directions. There's essentially only one slash and one kick, and the gimmick is that when an enemy is near death you get a prompt to "slash" with the remote in a specific direction to finish them off, though it usually doesn't matter in which direction you slash -- nine times out of ten the game will register a hit regardless of direction. And the various wrestling moves you acquire (which you are prompted to use once you've stunned an enemy with a kick) are yet another smokescreen, since all they do is add variety to the finishing moves, but not to all the fighting that precedes them.
No, the game is better suited for the Wii because it was made to take advantage of the Wii's capabilities. When the game goes onto the other two consoles, it loses what makes the game unique. While the combat is simple, I wouldn't call it shallow. On the higher difficulty settings, you'd better know what you're doing. Especially the boss characters, who will kick your ass all over town (especially Shinobu. [sub]Difficulty-curve wrecking *****[/sub]). I'll agree that the arrow kills aren't as accurate as one would like. But would you rather have it be too finicky or too forgiving? I think that given the limitations of the Wii Remote, they made the right decision. With the dawn of the Motion+, the arrows in Desperate Struggle are going to be much more accurate, so that'll help matters.
In fact, even the graphics in this game suck for a Wii game -- in perfect post-graphics style NMH is a huge step back from Killer 7 which was a PS2 game, with basic 3D models and cheap textures for every object.
I disagree with this, but this one is a matter of opinion.
The open world sandbox could be much larger and more detailed, because driving around the place is depressing, since it's devoid of any kind of life, or any location worth seeing. Plus it wouldn't run at like 25fps and it wouldn't sell like crap.
It certainly could. But as far as we've been told, this is a straight port. Meaning that it probably won't. While there are places to go to upgrade your attributes, I agree that the sandbox needs some work. I don't think it runs at 25 fps. And I'm pretty sure this venture's going to be a collosal failure.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
CrystalShadow said:
Treblaine said:

It is a game I want to play... but not enough to spend £180 on an Wii just for that.

Plus, I don't have a TV (in the UK you have to play an annual fee to the government, basically a TV tax to fund the BBC) and I play my PS3 and 360 on a computer monitor using the HDMI and DVI inputs. If I had a Wii I'd need to get a TV and pay that fee every year.
No, you just have to be persistent in convincing the licensing department that you don't watch broadcast television.

I wrote to the Television licensing department explaining the situation, and though they were a little persistent in reminding me of the obligations, they did accept my explanation.

You don't technically have to pay to own a television. Just to actually watch what is broadcast.
Yeah, I know about that clause and never had much faith in it. I'd always be too worried about some over-zealous "enforcement officer" (who is likely paid on commission) to accuse me of watching TV. And it's just a pain in the ass having a component like being able to receive TV and not being allowed to use it.

I've actually considered getting a TV card for my PC or PlayTV for my PS3 since I actually see a TV licence as worth the money if if I can access all the digital channels and I record every programme I'm interested in. I used to have a TV and almost every time I had an opportunity to watch TV there was nothing on or I had just missed a good show, which made the TV licence feel like a huge waste of money.

The irony of this setup is I'd most likely still watch all the BBC programmes on iPlayer as it generally has higher quality + all the HD versions... and you don't even require a licence fee to watch iPlayer. The website states you only need a licence if you watch the programme live. Oh the irony of the modern world.

But on your response, I wouldn't even like to play a Wii on a CRT as that usually means I can only use a composite cable (yellow cable) which down-converts 480p to 480i and screws up the colours and clarity. If I'm gonna go SD I'd at least want to use the Wii's Component Output for a clear 480p... but the only TVs that accept those are HDTVs and EDTVs which are bothe pretty expensive. Plus, I don't even have room for a CRT or EDTV in my room.

One solution is to get a VGA box that converts the 480p output of the Wii's Component Cables into RGB for a VGA cable to go into my monitor. But I wonder if that'll even work and I already have THREE consoles plugged into my single computer monitor (PS3/360/PC via HDMI/VGA/DVI respectively) adding a fourth with VGA to fiddle with too would just be too bloody much.

All that and I only have two game I want to play on the Wii; Mario Galaxy and No More Heroes. But if the latter finds a publisher there'll be only one game I want on the Wii. A game that I am willing to wait for... wait till the Wii has hugely dropped in price. I got my Gamecube for £20. I paid a lot for my PS3/360/PC because there are so many amazing looking games I want to play on them, right now the Wii even without the TV woes is not cost effective.

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
I bought the original No More Heroes for the Wii and was very disappointed. Abysmal framerate, and dodgy /gimmicky controls. I probably did the game a dis-service by not playing it for more than a few hours, but I just couldn't stomach it anymore. A remake on the 360 or PS3 consoles.. I'd certainly rent it to see if it was worth buying.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Well i do kind of hope it comes out for the 360. NMH is one of the view games that made me consider buying a wii.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Treblaine said:
CrystalShadow said:
Treblaine said:

Yeah, I know about that clause and never had much faith in it. I'd always be too worried about some over-zealous "enforcement officer" (who is likely paid on commission) to accuse me of watching TV. And it's just a pain in the ass having a component like being able to receive TV and not being allowed to use it.

I've actually considered getting a TV card for my PC or PlayTV for my PS3 since I actually see a TV licence as worth the money if if I can access all the digital channels and I record every programme I'm interested in. I used to have a TV and almost every time I had an opportunity to watch TV there was nothing on or I had just missed a good show, which made the TV licence feel like a huge waste of money.

The irony of this setup is I'd most likely still watch all the BBC programmes on iPlayer as it generally has higher quality + all the HD versions... and you don't even require a licence fee to watch iPlayer. The website states you only need a licence if you watch the programme live. Oh the irony of the modern world.

But on your response, I wouldn't even like to play a Wii on a CRT as that usually means I can only use a composite cable (yellow cable) which down-converts 480p to 480i and screws up the colours and clarity. If I'm gonna go SD I'd at least want to use the Wii's Component Output for a clear 480p... but the only TVs that accept those are HDTVs and EDTVs which are bothe pretty expensive. Plus, I don't even have room for a CRT or EDTV in my room.

One solution is to get a VGA box that converts the 480p output of the Wii's Component Cables into RGB for a VGA cable to go into my monitor. But I wonder if that'll even work and I already have THREE consoles plugged into my single computer monitor (PS3/360/PC via HDMI/VGA/DVI respectively) adding a fourth with VGA to fiddle with too would just be too bloody much.

All that and I only have two game I want to play on the Wii; Mario Galaxy and No More Heroes. But if the latter finds a publisher there'll be only one game I want on the Wii. A game that I am willing to wait for... wait till the Wii has hugely dropped in price. I got my Gamecube for £20. I paid a lot for my PS3/360/PC because there are so many amazing looking games I want to play on them, right now the Wii even without the TV woes is not cost effective.
Wait... You can watch the Iplayer without paying a license fee? They really do make life complicated...

I had to write to them about 3 times before they accepted my story, and then still kept threatening me about 4 more times.
After that, they gave up.

To be honest, I only got the TV because I have no other way of playing any console whatsoever.
I'd love to see if the Wii's 480p output is any good, but I don't have a display that'll do the trick. (my TV cost me £30).
Also, I still own an N64, where composite is the only option.

Hmm... I'm gonna look into that Iplayer thing, since the Wii just got a dedicated Iplayer channel. - I honestly didn't consider it, given that at one point they came up with the though of licensing every single PC in the country because you could get some programs online...

I do so love the ambiguous phrasing of the TV licensing department works out.
you must pay the TV licensing fee if you watch tv as it is broadcast
Meaning what exactly?

Oh, how I long for the days I was in Australia, where this whole idiocy doesn't apply, and 'free to air' TV does in fact mean 'free'.